Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on Starting Condition

DenverDave

I have what might be a dumb question.....
In IDPA if you have a gun with a hammer that is DA/SA
Are you allowed to start with the gun cocked and locked or do you have to do like USPSA and shoot the first round double action?

Thanks for any help.

8.2.1.1 Start Condition
A. Selective DA/SA firearms will start hammer down.
B. Firearms with a hammer de-cocking lever or button will have their hammer de-cocked using the lever or button.
C. If the hammer must be lowered by pulling the trigger and manually lowering the hammer, the hammer will be
lowered to the lowest position possible.
D. Manual safeties may be engaged at the shooter’s discretion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

in CDP you may start with the hammer back and the safety on. (sa first shot)

in SSP you start with the hammer down all the way doing it manually or whatever the de-cocker does and no safety on unless you want. (da first shot)

in ESP you can do either.

what gun and what division?

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

in CDP you may start with the hammer back and the safety on. (sa first shot)

in SSP you start with the hammer down all the way doing it manually or whatever the de-cocker does and no safety on unless you want. (da first shot)

in ESP you can do either.

what gun and what division?

I am looking at the new Tanfoglio P-Match  (DA/SA)  and P-Match Pro (SA Only)   I know the people who are buying the Pro for IDPA, 
the only issue is then if you want to run it in USPSA Production or carry optic....no go.   That is why I am looking at the regular P-Match and why I am asking the question, so I can have a gun that I can run in both.j

It has been over a year since I shot a IDPA match, is there any disadvantage to running ESP?

Edited by DenverDave

no disadvantage running a gun in esp at all. what i do see about esp over the years is that it's often a "second" divsion for people. meaning they got to M or EX in a different division and then decide to bounce to a different one in search of a bump, better finishes or an excuse to buy a new gun. so while the guns don't mean much in esp, the skill of shooters seems high in that division at say SS and EX.

Edited by rowdyb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/6/2018 at 7:43 PM, k80clay said:

I bought a P Match Pro for IDPA also. Have a Stock 3 also that would cover the USPSA angle....if there were any shoots around here. 

If there were any matches around here..........

• 1 year later...

So start with hammer down on a da/sa but there was great debate recently if one can cock the hammer after drawing? Do the rules say the first shot must be da on a da/sa? I’ve tried to find an answer to no avail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammer down at the start. once the buzzer has buzzed you have already started... Do what you want. Any one says other wise ask them to show you the rule that says cocking is prohibited.  Nothing really to debate.
That being said , no idea why you would want to,,, maybe if u had to draw in a long small shot or something,, even then probably faster just to DA it.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the first shot of a da/sa gun be sa is nicer. Shoot ESP if you like that advantage. If you try it in SSP you're just adding to the time by manually cocking the hammer after the beep. (Just 'cause it's legal doesn't mean it is a viable competition strategy)

That's a case where they should be learning how to shoot DA first shot.

They can install a lighter hammer spring on the CZ to achieve a lighter DA pull, but being careful to not go too light.

On 9/6/2017 at 2:38 PM, DenverDave said:

I am looking at the new Tanfoglio P-Match  (DA/SA)  and P-Match Pro (SA Only)   I know the people who are buying the Pro for IDPA, 
the only issue is then if you want to run it in USPSA Production or carry optic....no go.   That is why I am looking at the regular P-Match and why I am asking the question, so I can have a gun that I can run in both.j

It has been over a year since I shot a IDPA match, is there any disadvantage to running ESP?

If you want a pistol to use in both IDPA and USPSA Production and CO, why are you even considering an IDPA division that lets you start in SA?

You have to start in DA for Prod and CO.  That means you have to learn to be good and quick in DA.  So then buy a DA/SA gun, learn how to run it properly, then shoot IDPA SSP.  Now you're doing the same thing everywhere you go.

• 1 month later...

We reviewed this question yesterday in a SO class.

You must start in DA condition but once the buzzer goes if you can shoot as is in DA or cock the hammer to SA. I can’t imagine anyone actually spending time cocking the hammer unless the first shot  is a very long shot on a small target.

closer targets are more forgiving and you could still make a good shot with a long and heavy trigger pull.