Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you do?

Balwolley

Have never had any problems with gunsmiths but I did regular business with a man in another industry. Always had great service and great communication with him and got my orders within a week. Then one time I made an order and after two weeks it still hadn't shown up. Sent him a few emails and tried calling a few times never got an answer. Guys on an industry forum, like this one, also had orders that were not filled and lost communication. Many speculated he had skipped town with our money and we'd never hear from him again.

It was about a month later that another forum member tried calling one last time and got an answer. From Bob's brother. Bob had had a heart attack and was in the hospital for weeks.

To make a long story short(er), when Bob recovered he got on his computer and sent messages to everyone with an outstanding order. Everyone got their orders within a few weeks and many, like me even sent him cards and "get well sooner" money. 

Your gunsmith may not have had a heart attack, but many gunsmiths work alone and don't have other employees to fall back on if they have a health issue or a family member has a serious health issue. Put yourself in their shoes. Who would come first to you? Your customer? Or your daughter?

Glad things worked out. Maybe the next time you contact him you could ask if everything is ok and tell him you worried about him. I would.

3 hours ago, Dranoel said:

Have never had any problems with gunsmiths but I did regular business with a man in another industry. Always had great service and great communication with him and got my orders within a week. Then one time I made an order and after two weeks it still hadn't shown up. Sent him a few emails and tried calling a few times never got an answer. Guys on an industry forum, like this one, also had orders that were not filled and lost communication. Many speculated he had skipped town with our money and we'd never hear from him again.

It was about a month later that another forum member tried calling one last time and got an answer. From Bob's brother. Bob had had a heart attack and was in the hospital for weeks.

To make a long story short(er), when Bob recovered he got on his computer and sent messages to everyone with an outstanding order. Everyone got their orders within a few weeks and many, like me even sent him cards and "get well sooner" money. 

Your gunsmith may not have had a heart attack, but many gunsmiths work alone and don't have other employees to fall back on if they have a health issue or a family member has a serious health issue. Put yourself in their shoes. Who would come first to you? Your customer? Or your daughter?

Glad things worked out. Maybe the next time you contact him you could ask if everything is ok and tell him you worried about him. I would.

Very good points made here, and I did think about from that perspective.  After the I finally got ahold of him and discussed my position with the situation, we came to an understanding and apologies came from both parties.  In the moment I was in a pickle since the amount of money on the line and I had my wife ready to strangle me and the smith.  I wanted a custom gun, she thinks buying one "from the store"  factory gun would be better .  ( silly lady). 

Thankd again for your story story and the different perspective. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2017 at 10:08 PM, S&W686 said:

I own own 2 Freedom Gunworks guns and 4 Ck Arms guns and have never had any issues with any of them.  Maybe I am the lucky one, but all have ran flawlessly for me. 

Wow, that seems to say a lot,  and from first hand experience rather than "my best friends uncle who knows this guy" . . .