Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My wife was gifted a cabillion 45 acp cases...all small primer

AbitNutz

What's with that?! My wife came home all excited that she was give a 5 gallon bucket full of brass...all for me! She's so sweet.

I've heard about small primer 45 acp cases but really have never seen any. What's up with this? And who's idea was it to play such a cruel joke on me. I'm tempted to try and keep them separate but I load with a Dillon 650. You know, the machine that's famous for blowing the priming system into the ceiling. Once sure way of helping the 650 blow the bits all over my reloading room is to try and stuff a large primer into a small primer pocket.

What would you do? Take the gift from my ever so well intentioned wife and risk blowing my face off? Or ditch the offending brass and crush her spirit? Did I mention how sweet and well intentioned she is?

Seriously...does anyone mess with small pistol primer 45 acp cases? Is there any advantage? I do shoot a fair amount of 45 Super level loads out of my built for 45 Super. Are these cases stronger than large pocket cases?

What's with that?! My wife came home all excited that she was give a 5 gallon bucket full of brass...all for me! She's so sweet.

I've heard about small primer 45 acp cases but really have never seen any. What's up with this? And who's idea was it to play such a cruel joke on me. I'm tempted to try and keep them separate but I load with a Dillon 650. You know, the machine that's famous for blowing the priming system into the ceiling. Once sure way of helping the 650 blow the bits all over my reloading room is to try and stuff a large primer into a small primer pocket.

What would you do? Take the gift from my ever so well intentioned wife and risk blowing my face off? Or ditch the offending brass and crush her spirit? Did I mention how sweet and well intentioned she is?

Seriously...does anyone mess with small pistol primer 45 acp cases? Is there any advantage? I do shoot a fair amount of 45 Super level loads out of my built for 45 Super. Are these cases stronger than large pocket cases?
They are very dangerous too use even for standard loads, leave them alone and I'll come by and dispose of them for you, as a favor of course [emoji4] [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Since there are other ramifications involved, I'd keep them and use them.  I once bought a box of 45 range brass that turned out to be almost all small primer.  I kept them and used them.  There was some mixup at first, and it was annoying.  I decided to use the SP brass for all competitions except bullseye.  When I was finished loading 40sw, I set up for 45 and left the SP primer assembly in.  Then I loaded 1500 for competition.  I shot them and left them on the ground.  It was much more enjoyable than doing the brass chicken dance after every stage.

Since you now have 5 gallons worth, do the same with 2-3000 at a time.  If you are using standard strength primers, you'll  need 0.1gr more powder to make the same PF.  BTW, don't forget to thank her profusely.

On 9/5/2017 at 4:09 PM, AbitNutz said:

You won't blow up a primer unless you decide to MAKE that stubborn primer go into the pocket when you meet resistance.

I've got a similar supply of small primer 45's.  I'm saving them and will use them next time I'm "out" of 45 brass.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, Mountbkr said:

so what i heard was that the .45acp was all small pistol primers until the Military decided that Large was better.

Right now i am just saving mine for the day when we have to scrounge for any consistency in components.

I load 9mm so not switching the primer system over for 45 would be great. And I believe you are blowing the primer detonation thing way out of proportion as 650s are not "famous" for doing that. In fact if you asked people about their Dillon machines I'd be willing to be that this wouldn't even be in the top 50-100 of what they might tell you.

Well, it's either blow your own face off or having her rip your face off for not taking the gift.  YOur choice.  LOL!  I actually have no experience with SPP 45's, but I just thought your initial comments was too funny to pass up.  :)

As others have mentioned, just keep them sorted and only use them for "throw away" matches/brass and then you are good to go.

• 3 weeks later...
On Tuesday, September 05, 2017 at 7:09 PM, AbitNutz said:

Let me know what shipping is?

I don't shoot competition or crono my rounds. I have used them without any problems to acuracy.