Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

With Winning In Mind

Tacticalpanda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished reading it. Bought it on iBooks. Very interesting and helpful.

Am having difficulty reconciling an apparent inconsistency, though. The author emphasizes focusing on the process, not the results. But he also says that one must set goals, such as, for a USPSA shooter, “making GM.” Isn’t the goal setting, and tracking one’s progress toward reaching the goal, putting one’s focus back on results?

i do not disagree with what he says - his points are cogent indeed - just having a little difficulty reconciling a couple concepts.

2 hours ago, CoyoteMW said:

Just finished reading it. Bought it on iBooks. Very interesting and helpful.

Am having difficulty reconciling an apparent inconsistency, though. The author emphasizes focusing on the process, not the results. But he also says that one must set goals, such as, for a USPSA shooter, “making GM.” Isn’t the goal setting, and tracking one’s progress toward reaching the goal, putting one’s focus back on results?

i do not disagree with what he says - his points are cogent indeed - just having a little difficulty reconciling a couple concepts.

Since a process is a series of actions taken to achieve a goal, id think the author would’ve posed setting a goal as the first step in determining the process. 

I think of it as either, “I want to make GM,” vs “I want Division wins in 3 majors this year.”  You can make GM by attending tons of classifiers and swinging for the fences without ever going to a major match, while a division win requires focus and consistency at a high level. ...and could be achieved without ever a single Classifier. Depends what the shooter wants, but the process would be very different. 

Just my 2 cents. I wanna hear what others have to add too. 

Edited by resortboarder

6 hours ago, resortboarder said:

Since a process is a series of actions taken to achieve a goal, id think the author would’ve posed setting a goal as the first step in determining the process. 

I think of it as either, “I want to make GM,” vs “I want Division wins in 3 majors this year.”  You can make GM by attending tons of classifiers and swinging for the fences without ever going to a major match, while a division win requires focus and consistency at a high level. ...and could be achieved without ever a single Classifier. Depends what the shooter wants, but the process would be very different. 

Just my 2 cents. I wanna hear what others have to add too. 

He is actually talking about focusing on the process during the competition, not the results seen during the competition.

• 1 month later...

My copy just arrived and I'll be reading this in a couple weeks after this academic quarter ends.

My own personal take on the process vs results argument would be that tracking progress allows us to see whether the process is working, and gain confidence in it.  It is different than focusing on results, which would be receiving our emotions and fulfillment on whether or not we hit a certain goal.

• 1 month later...

Got this book and “the Subtle are of not giving a f*ck” by Mark Manson. The latter is my current read and it is interesting as it is sort of an anti-positivity book. But sort of makes sense. The first half is full of a lot of ‘shock’ writing. Not in a bad way, just an overuse of the word f*ck. But, I didn’t really expect much else considering the title. Hard to describe. 

‘With Winning in mind’ is my next read.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 3/4 of the way through, and so far it has been incredibly beneficial.  I am taking notes and really applying the positive thoughts and confident-in-ability mindset.  I will say, it doesn't do a great job in our sport of addressing the use of video to identify weaknesses.  He mentions to focus on good things once done, but we need to observe the bad things to find issues and figure out where to improve.  Finding that balance is interesting, a little difficult, but certainly beneficial. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2017 at 5:59 PM, Tacticalpanda said:

I stumbled across this boom written by an Olympic shooter.  Has anyone had a chance to read it and did you find it applicable to shooting sports?

First time I hear of it - bought it.

Thanks,

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ended up picking up the audiobook version and took a lot of notes. I also found an older 4-vdeo training set called "Mental Management Seminar". It goes more in depth on certain topics in the book. 

Videos are labeled:

• Mastering The Mental Game
  • Controlling Performance Under Pressure
  • Goal Getting
  • Self-Image Change

I don't remember where I found it. You'll probably need to do a Google search if interested. 

On 9/7/2017 at 10:11 AM, waktasz said:

Got the CDs and listen to them in the car from time to time

If anyone has purchased the CD in on of the links above, can you please give a review of what's covered before I plop down $135?

Edited by telligentgunner

Great book for mental management.

Here's one I use on my mental management card.  How many shooters do you see at matches making this mistake?

"What you think about matters. Every time you picture or talk about making an error your Self-Image thinks you have just made it again, you’ve created an imprint and you’ve dramatically improved the chances of doing it in the future. So, if you wish to dominate your sport you cannot afford to think about your errors." Lanny Basham

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 5:12 PM, lfine said:

So if you had to choose one - audio or book for "With Winning in Mind'?

This is kind of personal preference.  I like audio books because it allows me to further my knowledge while in the car which is usually just dead time. I have been able to listen to numerous hours of podcasts and books on shooting that I would have never had time to read or listen to at home.  The only thing I miss about not having a book is I cannot take notes or underline. As everyone has already said this book is definitely one of the must yearly reads so it may be justified to own both.