Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

With Winning In Mind

Tacticalpanda

I stumbled across this boom written by an Olympic shooter.  Has anyone had a chance to read it and did you find it applicable to shooting sports?

As you said, it is a book about mental conditioning that was written by an Olympic Shooting gold medalist (Lanny Basham), and you're wondering if is applicable to shooting sports?

Of course, very much so. It's attributable to any sport actually, and life in general as well. Definitely a great help to get mentally prepared for winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This book is an "every year" read for me. There is another book that uses many of the same principals called "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect". (Can't recall the author.)

Great reads, and, a goldmine of information!

3 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

This book is an "every year" read for me. There is another book that uses many of the same principals called "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect". (Can't recall the author.)

Great reads, and, a goldmine of information!

Agree.

Dr. Bob Rotella is the author you were thinking of. I've read almost everything he's written and although he deals with golf, the skills are transferable to shooting or any other sport. Not voodoo or anything weird, just a common sense way of thinking. 

"By and large, winners and losers are self determined, but only winners will admit it" - Dr. Bob Rotella. 

On 9/3/2017 at 4:59 PM, Tacticalpanda said:

I stumbled across this boom written by an Olympic shooter.  Has anyone had a chance to read it and did you find it applicable to shooting sports?

Definitely.

From its info section in my store: "With Winning in Mind is a fantastic resource for anyone seeking improvement of any kind – I’ve recommended to all my friends. I wish I had known about it when I was competing!"

(I actually gave a copy to all my friends years ago when I first added it to my store.)

Buy it! Read it, then read it again,  then repeat. 

Then keep reading it. 

Seriously, I like to read it, then read Stoegers book, then read Anderson's. I'm gonna start Brian's book in about a week. Then just start over again. 

You'll pick up new stuff. Stuff will make a different kinda of sense the more you shoot/learn.

• 2 weeks later...

reading it now.. it seems to be the basis for so many things I've learned the hard way over a lifetime of sports.  While I shoot uspsa, I also coach HS baseball with a focus on hitting .. and I guess like so many things that happen really really fast, it is all about practice, confidence, self trust and subconscious reaction.  Too much conscious thought screws up everything.

I have my 3 rules of baseball I have been teaching for years..

#1 Trust yourself and your team and good things happen.
#2 Swing the stinking bat.
#3 No wet blankets in the dugout.

But I feel a tweeking to these rules in the near future.

Edited by scroadkill
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Some other good books are anything on competition by Saul Kirsh, and I would highly recommend the "Bulletproof Mind" series on CD by Dave Grossman, LTC (ret), he delves into what your mind-set needs to be when you are on the "two-way range", if you get my drift; that is when it really counts. The competition is great stuff but in the end we are all training for one thing, to make those hits count when it means life or death.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 5:54 PM, benos said:

Definitely.

From its info section in my store: "With Winning in Mind is a fantastic resource for anyone seeking improvement of any kind – I’ve recommended to all my friends. I wish I had known about it when I was competing!"

(I actually gave a copy to all my friends years ago when I first added it to my store.)

I didn't see it in the store ???

Here's Basham's website. 

https://mentalmanagement.com/

I have all his stuff for sporting clays shooting and it definitely enhanced my game when I was competing.  With Winning in Mind is very good, but you have to get Freedom Flight.  It may well change your life.  I have most of this stuff on CD and makes for great listening while working on guns and reloading.

Jeff

Edited by JNW