Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your favorite load for your PCC?

I know most of you that follow the PCC thread have tried different loads so what is your favorite or go too load?  

1. PCC details, barrel length, brand and mods?

2. Bullet weight, type and brand?

3. Powder and charge weight?

4. Primers?

5. OAL?

6. Reliability?

7. Accuracy?

8. How does it shoot? Soft? Snappy?

9. Split times?

10. Dot movement? 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think some people are going to freak out when I post it, but here we go...

1.  KG custom, 16", Hiperfire 24, Aimpoint Comp ML3 2 MOA,  BCM charging handle, Yankee Hill slant brake (for timer pick up)

2.  135gn Black Bullets International coated lead RN

3.  2.9 Clays (yes, that clays)

4.  Winchester

5.  1.120

6.  Not a malfunction with it yet.

7.  Doubles within an inch many times out to medium range and double A's on long targets are no issue at speed.  Excellent Steel Challenge load

8.  Very very soft. Very very quiet even with brake.  Sounds suppressed.  Have to be very attentive with timer.

9.  Haven't measured splits

10.  Minimal dot movement.  

FPS last tested was a surprising 1045.  The load came from pure experiment and purposely trying to put a load together that would be too soft and work up for steel challenge.  Wound up being perfect.  Clays for 9mm is unheard of so far as I know, but the pressure listings I did find were low for even a load with slightly more powder.  Seems the longer barrel is getting the velocity needed for power factor.  Also use WSf with great success, just up into the 145 range for power factor.

Edited by Hammer002

1. KAK Industries 16" barrel, Colt Mag lower, Hiperfire 24c, ebay 9mm brake

2. 147gr Rocky Mountain Reloading plated RN. I've also loaded with their FP and HP because the RN weren't available all the time. 

3. 3.8gr CFE Pistol. Comes out to 1000 fps from my PCC, 915 from my G34. 

4. S&B SPP

5. 1.10" for RN, 1.08" for FP and HP

6. 100% with RN and HP, occasional failures to fire (no mark on primer) with FP. The only thing I can figure is that the FP have a slightly different profile, and occasionally one gets jammed into the lands, keeping the gun slightly out of battery and preventing the hammer from actually striking the FP. A lot of people have these failures to fire with PCCs, and the short throats on them is the only thing I can associate with these failures. 

7. I've never benched my rifle, but it does well enough for headshots at 25 yards offhand. 

8. Very soft with 147s. If you go too light on the charge the gun can feel sluggish, but I can hammer out pretty quick splits with this setup. 

9. I should have looked at the timer at the last match, but some of my splits were around the .15 mark for sure. 

10. Minimal. The brake didn't make a difference with dot movement at all. I instead tuned my load to a point where the rifle cycled well but still recoiled soft. If I wanted to totally remove all dot movement, I'd start looking at different buffer setups. 

1. PCC details, barrel length, brand and mods?     PSA 16" Version 1 barrel (must load short) with eBay muzzle brake.  Trigger is Hiperfire 24c.

2. Bullet weight, type and brand?       147 gr Xtreme plated RN 

3. Powder and charge weight?       3.0 gr VV N-320  PF @ 132

4. Primers?      CCI and Winchester SPP

5. OAL?     1.080"  (max 1.085" to pass plunk test)

6. Reliability?     Excellent.  No failures to feed in thousands of rounds.

7. Accuracy?     Groups checked with 18x scope.  I use a Cmore Railway for competition.  Shoots 2" groups at 40 yards.  Accuracy drops off quickly beyond that. 

8. How does it shoot? Soft? Snappy?      Soft shooting but fast enough that the bolt does not feel sluggish.  Also very quiet.  Need muzzle brake so timer can pick it up.

9. Split times?  Have shot Bill drills with some splits at .12 seconds.

10. Dot movement? Dot will rise straight up then quickly return.  I get less dot movement with heavier (.308) spring but the gun will double with heavier spring.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
17 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

2.  135gn Black Bullets International coated lead RN

3.  2.9 Clays (yes, that clays)

4.  Winchester

5.  1.120

6.  Not a malfunction with it yet.

7.  Doubles within an inch many times out to medium range and double A's on long targets are no issue at speed.  Excellent Steel Challenge load

8.  Very very soft. Very very quiet even with brake.  Sounds suppressed.  Have to be very attentive with timer.

9.  Haven't measured splits

10.  Minimal dot movement.  

FPS last tested was a surprising 1045.  The load came from pure experiment and purposely trying to put a load together that would be too soft and work up for steel challenge.  Wound up being perfect.  Clays for 9mm is unheard of so far as I know, but the pressure listings I did find were low for even a load with slightly more powder.  Seems the longer barrel is getting the velocity needed for power factor...

I'm happy to see this. I have nearly a dozen pounds of Clays/ClayDot left over from SS days that I'd like to use up. I'm shooting a 140gr coated bullet, so this load should be right in the same neighborhood.  

Edited by bwframe
5 hours ago, wyliearms said:

What do you shoot? For me, a Steel Challenge load differs from a USPSA or PCC style match. I will say, I have started shoting Clean Shot and have been very impressed with how well it burns and how clean it is.

I shoot both.  Like I mentioned, that load makes power factor and I wouldn't go any lower.  Would feel too sluggish.  I shoot steel and USPSA both with the same round.  Steel is where my heart is right now and that was the purpose of putting that load together, but found that it made power factor, was very surprised.  And happy.

• JP bolt and 16" Ultramatch barrel, NERD Nano comp
  • 138gr Ibeji, 3.0 Titegroup, 1.14"OAL makes 131pf

While I really like how that load shoots, after 1k rounds or so, I spent an entire weekend cleaning lead out of the comp.  Switching to 124gr FMJs to work up a new load.

Hello: The longer barrels in the PCC's tends to get buildup in the comps if you are using plated or coated bullets and even jacketed if the lead is exposed in the back. I get buildup with all of the powders I have used with coated or plated bullets, that is why I like JHP's for open or big match stuff. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The longer barrels in the PCC's tends to get buildup in the comps if you are using plated or coated bullets and even jacketed if the lead is exposed in the back. I get buildup with all of the powders I have used with coated or plated bullets, that is why I like JHP's for open or big match stuff. Thanks, Eric

I thought about JHP's, and I'm like 98% sure they'd run fine in my PCC, but I didn't want to chance it, and went for FMJs instead.

Ok now that I have tried some loads here is my setup and favorite load.

1. Home built AR9, New Frontier Glock pattern striped lower, KAW 16" light weight barrel, MBX compensator, Aero Precision upper, Taylor Tactical milspec trigger, Taylor Tac light weight trigger springs, Mill work on trigger components done by me, Taylor Tactical grip screw pretravel reducer, Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer with  308 spring, Smalley CS100-H7 bottoming spring with 6 quarters to reduce bolt travel, Cmore railway 4 moa dot, Ebay anti-walk pins, Ebay grip, Ebay buffer tube and carbine adjustable stock.

2. Xtreme 100 grain plated 380 bullet

3. 3.8 grains Titegroup, makes 132 PF

4. CCI SPP

5. OAL 1.045"

6. Not one single hiccup yet

7. Shot a 1 inch 5 shot group at 30 yards 4 of them touching with one flyer. I put 5 of 6 shots in the A zone at 30 yards shooting .18 splits on doubles. 

8. Slightly snappy but soft

9. .18 but I am getting used to the gun, should be faster under match conditions.

10. Dot moves slightly to the right then back, not up at all, I am right handed so that is most likely why, path of least resistance.  

Edited by MrPostman
49 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Interesting that there are no Sig MPX or CZ Scorpion loads listed yet? I guess they are mostly shooting factory stuff. Thanks, Eric

1. Sig MPX, 8" barrel, Gen II (factory gas port), Hiperfire 24c

2. BBI 147gr

3. 3.7gr HP-38

4. S&B SPP

5. 1.115 OAL

6. Very reliable

7. Accurate enough out to 50 yds

8. Shoots soft and the dot tracks straight up and down

I do plan to have the gas port opened up so I can run a lighter load (this one comes in at almost 150 PF).  When I tried to run my pistol loads in the MPX (3.4gr HP-38, 147gr BBI), reliability suffered.  In my AR-9 with a 7.5" barrel I can run the same bullet with 3.0gr of HP-38 at 130PF and it's 100% reliable.

9 hours ago, tyler2you said:

1. Sig MPX, 8" barrel, Gen II (factory gas port), Hiperfire 24c

2. BBI 147gr

3. 3.7gr HP-38

4. S&B SPP

5. 1.115 OAL

6. Very reliable

7. Accurate enough out to 50 yds

8. Shoots soft and the dot tracks straight up and down

I do plan to have the gas port opened up so I can run a lighter load (this one comes in at almost 150 PF).  When I tried to run my pistol loads in the MPX (3.4gr HP-38, 147gr BBI), reliability suffered.  In my AR-9 with a 7.5" barrel I can run the same bullet with 3.0gr of HP-38 at 130PF and it's 100% reliable.

Tyler your Sig shoots very nice in my opinion ?

Current load (subject to change at any moment because I am just that kind of guy)

Sig MPX carbine

115 MG JHP

5.4 Silhouette 

1.118 OAL

Wolf SRP until I use them all up and then back to Winchester SPP

Last load was 

121 MG JHP

4.3 N320

Wolf SRP

I like the dot movement a bit more with the 115s but as always, YMMV.  

1. Sig MPX, Carbine (13.7" + flash hider = 16"), Geissele SD3G, Lancer carbon fiber handguard, Next Level Armament MPX Ambi Charge Handle and Block Kit

2. 115gr Everglades JHP

3. 5.9gr N340 @ 1410FPS

4. CCI SPP

5. 1.125 OAL

6. Very reliable

7. 2.5" @ 100 yds

8. Shoots soft and Flat

9. Split times? don't keep track vary often but have seen 0.10 on the clock in a match

10. Dot movement? Flat