Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Single Stack

SMSI

SIG Max, out of the box ready to go SS gun that needs very little tweaking. The trigger might need some spacers installed since it is a type 80 system. Has Dawson FO sights on it, and eats whatever ammo you have on hand. For half the cost of a custom gun and one you can find today, it seems to be a smart choice.

7 minutes ago, mont1120 said:

SIG Max, out of the box ready to go SS gun that needs very little tweaking. The trigger might need some spacers installed since it is a type 80 system. Has Dawson FO sights on it, and eats whatever ammo you have on hand. For half the cost of a custom gun and one you can find today, it seems to be a smart choice.

Agreed

I've had one it was nice

That's how I feel about my competition ready pistol from Dawson. A STI Trojan in 45 with fo front, adjustable rear, big mag release and a magwell. All for $1,200 or so and it ships right away. How can that not be a great starter gun for SS?

One of my single stack guns is a Dan Wesson Valor with a Wilson extended mag catch button, EGW ambidextrous thumb safety, Dawson no-gap ICE mag well, grip bushings/screws/panels changed out to standard thickness.  The slide stop that comes on a Valor is great for competition; it has a very nice ledge style lever.  My other guns have the Ed Brown ledge style slide stop.  Those have a slightly shorter ledge than the Valor has but they still work fine.

I left the factory Heinie Straight Eight sights on the Valor but had to get a shorter front sight to shoot dead-on at 15 yards.  Tritium comes in handy for evening club matches that go into darkness.

I had been keeping the Valor as it came from the factory, my thought being it makes a very nice full-size 1911 for carry.  I used it some in that role but stopped carrying 1911s, so I thought, well, I love shooting the thing and most of my shooting is done in matches so I'll dress it up and put it into the rotation.

I will have an STI some day, likely when I splurge on myself and get a good Limited gun.

First, are you at all interested in the steel they use for the frame and slide.?  To some, this is a big deal, e.g., Caspian uses bar stock in their slides and cast in their frame.  Gary once said he has not seen a frame cracked in a long long time.

Many on this forum swear by the Trojan.  I have one or had since I gave it to a friend. Over a $700 in upgrades. The tool marks etc are a distraction.  But it would shoot <1.5 at 25.  The barrel broke and was replace NC.

My first custom was Wilson frame and Caspian slide built by Tripp.  My second custom was a SV.  So the price range (now) is ~$1,000 to $7,500 (plus the wait).

Wilson, Baer, etc make excellent guns with great parts.

SA make a nice basic model that is easily upgraded.  I think they use bar stock steel. 

If you don't want an SV, then buy a good slide and frame and have a gunsmith rebuild with premier parts.

Not to start a major flame war, the 1911 Forum had some great threads about the differences in steel.  Worth the read in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a 45 ACP lover.  That being said, I also own three 40sws.  I shoot 40 for Steel Challenge with reduced loads.  It works better than 45 for bunny fart loads.  I shoot USPSA Open.  If I ever shoot SS, I will use the 40.  Reason?  Brass expense.  45 brass is too valuable to leave on the ground, and almost all of my matches are lost brass.  If I could get all or most of my brass back, it would probably be 45, just because it is my fav.

• 2 weeks later...

All depends on your budget. Shooters Connection carries several from reputable builders. If you have a good local gunsmith you might want to chat them up. Many of the "big" names means you are paying quite a bit of $ to have their name on it or the ability to say "so and so made it'. Known names helps the resale value but doesn't necessarily mean they are better built than one by a lesser known. Quality is craftsmanship. 

• 2 weeks later...