Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Daughter moving to Phoenix

Sarge

Hey gang, my daughter is moving to Phoenix for 8 months for a work project. She is shopping for apartments that won't break the bank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

She has found the best prices in South Mountain and it is only 10 minutes from work. 

Any feedback on South Mountain?

Thank you all in advance.

Sarge

2 hours ago, pyrrhic3gun said:

Where is the work (if you don't mind me asking)?

2 hours ago, pyrrhic3gun said:

Where is the work (if you don't mind me asking)?

Synchrony Financial

3150 S 48th St, Phoenix, AZ 85040

Edited by Sarge

15 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Wow, Sarge  -   three GREAT Reviews of the Company   :ph34r:

Hope your daughter is going to straighten them out    :bow:

Yeah I noticed that. lol The company administers nearly every major retail credit account so I can imagine there are many folks not happy with them. She loves the company and her job. She specializes in securing and negotiating accounts with big retailers.

If it were my daughter, I would say she should pay a little more and drive a little longer by staying in Scottsdale (north and east of Synchrony's location).

Disclaimer:  Don't have a daughter , live in northwest Phoenix, usually shoot at the range at South Mountain (Phoenix Rod and Gun) at least once a week.

Of course, if she likes adventure and has her CCW, then she can live wherever.  :^)

I've forwarded your request to a younger person who is very involved in the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club, hoping that he can

provide some input with more perspective.  He also has the resources to ask some female shooters for their opinions.

At least, she has missed the worst of the heat for this year.

My office is at 40th St. and Broadway, right near where your daughter will be working and it is a pretty nice area actually.  University Dr between I-10 and the 143 used to be pretty seedy with the usual airport bars and strip clubs but it has cleaned up a bunch in the last several years, I think there are only a couple of strip clubs left up there now.

With the new college semester starting she may find it more difficult to locate a cheaper apartment of decent quality in the area, but there are a bunch of different complexes within 15 minutes.  The key is to find a place willing to sign an 8 month lease.  The nearby apartments in Tempe would be a good place to start looking, they are in a decent area as far as crime/safety goes and she can probably find something at a decent price as long as she is willing to take what she can get with regards to size/layout/etc.

I live in the South Mountain police precinct and can say that the area is blotchy when it comes to crime and the less desirable areas.  I would recommend using the Phoenix police crime maps and reports to check out any of the areas first.  When I say it is blotchy I mean you have some very nice, low crime neighborhoods (like mine), and then some higher crime areas close by.  The map basically looks like a checkerboard.  My community, and the one next to us, are HOA and have very few problems.  We have homes with nice yards, kids playing in the street before sundown, yard sales, the whole Norman Rockwell deal.  Nearby (1/2 mile away) there are run down apartments, section 8 housing, gang areas, you name it, but there really isn't any spill over from any one area to the next.

ChuckS is right, if you or she can get a hold of Debbie I am sure she would be able to point you in the right direction.  Debbie is very involved in the different woman's shooting groups in the valley and I've had the pleasure of shooting with them several times now.  They are genuinely good people who I know would be happy to help if they can.

My advice for Phoenix:   when you go to visit your daughter make sure you visit at a time when Rio Salado has a match and go up there and shoot the match. 

That's what I did when I was there for a business trip.

:)

Eric

Edited by eric4069

7 minutes ago, eric4069 said:

My advice for Phoenix:   when you go to visit your daughter make sure you visit at a time when Rio Salado has a match and go up there and shoot the match. 

That's what I did when I was there for a business trip.

:)

Eric

We are going to be there starting Christmas Day for 5 days. I may swing by the place just to see what all the hoopla is about. I'm hoping Dillon will be open but I don't have high hopes.

It's close to DeVry's campus and Native Wings and Fuddrucker's (nice hamburgers) and all the standard shopping-center fare (MetroCenter)  including Tombstone Tactical (gun shop).

So, plenty of people her age around.  She may have a slog with traffic on I17, but it could be worse.  :^)

Good luck to her.  If you are visiting there, you'll be closer to Ben Avery shooting facility and Phoenix Rod and Gun Club, so you should try to visit them all (including Rio).

7 hours ago, pyrrhic3gun said:

It's close to DeVry's campus and Native Wings and Fuddrucker's (nice hamburgers) and all the standard shopping-center fare (MetroCenter)  including Tombstone Tactical (gun shop).

So, plenty of people her age around.  She may have a slog with traffic on I17, but it could be worse.  :^)

Good luck to her.  If you are visiting there, you'll be closer to Ben Avery shooting facility and Phoenix Rod and Gun Club, so you should try to visit them all (including Rio).

Will do. Thanks for the info!