Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition between targets. Dryfire.

levellinebrad

I tried emphasizing the lower body movement transitions when I was at the range yesterday and found initially that it slowed me down.  After trying some different things I realized that my usual way of transitioning was a combination of upper body swinging and lower body driving that was more efficient and effective for me.  Like anything else, I think we all need to find what works best for us, and for me it is a combination of the two techniques.

Travis Haley has a video with the same concept (i know, i know lol) but he describes the movements as pointing your hips at your target, or squaring them up. I think I used to do this a little instinctively, but now that I'm more aware and exaggerating the concept a bit, I feel that I can transition smoother, faster, and have a more stable platform while engaging multiple targets. 

• 3 weeks later...

So i have been seriously practicing transitions in both live fire and dry fire and have seen tremendous improvement. I do normally start slow and simulate the recoil in dryfire. I think this has helped train my brain to transition as soon as the 2nd trigger pull is complete instead of waiting for the gun to come back to the target that I just shot. This training has not affected live fire or matches negatively. My splits have increased from about a .15 avg to a .18 avg but my transitions have decreased from a .63 to a .20 transition. My second shot is almost always an A zone hit but the 1st shot from the transition can be an occasional charlie. I think a few more thousand reps in dry fire and  live fire should ingrain these movements to my subconscious. I am very pleased to be saving .4 seconds per target, a savings of 6.4 seconds on a 16 target course. Now I just need to stop reverting back to old habits on stages.(Especially Classifiers)