Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Irregular Heartbeat

Distant Thunder

Four years, ten different medications (including two which I had to be monitored in a hospital when starting), two ablations and the medical community still can't find a way to control my bouts of A-fib. My only real hope at this point is a third ablation, but the soonest that can be scheduled is still more than a month and a half away.

The warm wishes and kind thoughts are much appreciated. I just get so frustrated with this because we'll try something and it either fails immediately or works for only 2-3 months and then we're back to square one. It's like playing whack-a-mole with the electrical impulses of my heart. We find a way to block the deviant signals only for them to establish a new pathway. It's kept me from entering any matches since late 2013 simply because I don't feel safe due to the symptoms of fatigue and dizziness when one of these episodes begin.

This is uncommon but if all else fails and you still have intractable symptoms due to atrial fibrillation, they can ablate your AV node and insert a permanent pacemaker.  Not my first, second or third line therapy but sometimes unavoidable.

Also, the quality of Electrophysiologists vary. A lot.

The ablations and the last medication tried were at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center. The present plan is for the third ablation attempt to be done mid-October and then about a month after that I'll have to go back for 2-3 days to be taken off my present medication.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. I've been home from the last procedure for a week now and am feeling much better than I did after either of the first two attempts. As I have told friends and family, I am cautiously optimistic at this point. I still have to take it easy for about a week before doing too much more than casual walks around the neighborhood (no trips to the range for ballistic therapy sessions yet). Hoping for the best. Thanks to all who expressed their concern and/or best wishes.