Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are 2011 limited shooter using for IDPA

Mushki25

I have always shot SSP in IDPA and production in USPSA, occasionally shooting my 1911 in both.  Recently I picked up a 2011 and switched to limited. I like to shoot about twice a month, actually I would like to shoot more but life gets in the way.  I may have shot IDPA 2 or 3 times this summer since I prefer USPSA more but with summer matches in WI winding down I am beginning to schedule weekend off season matches and that will include IDPA.  I cannot justify buying a bushing 2011 for 10 IDPA matches a year.  I am thinking I should just shoot my 1911 or actually my carry gun.

What are the other limited guys shooting while dabbling in IDPA?

Load some .40 minor, swap out the recoil spring and go have some fun.

As you stated, you're only shooting about 10 matches a year. So save yourself some cash and shoot in the special division. Unless you intend to shoot major matches, just shoot your limited gun (down loaded to division capacity) and have fun!

using a custom built limited gun WITH A DIFFERENT MAGWELL i.e. smaller, that fits the box.

Locally they are letting people shoot with Barrels previously against the rules.  Heavy -  "Don't call it a Bull!" LOL

Apparently there has been some kind of change because of the SIG 320 or CZ or something.

I don't shoot it often enough to care.  I just switch out may magwell and use an old holster and pouches that the gun fits it and I can run on by regular belt

• 1 month later...

one of the guns i shoot is a sti tactical 4" double stack (2011), in the esp division.  what a nice gun.  i also have a 5" eagle that is also esp-legal but i generally just shoot that in 2 and 3 gun.  

sometimes i just shoot my glock 32/23/19 in ccp as those are my actual carry guns.  but the sti's are way more fun.

6 hours ago, davsco said:

one of the guns i shoot is a sti tactical 4" double stack (2011), in the esp division.  what a nice gun. 

I shoot an STI Tactical 4.0 . It's one of the most shot pistols in my collection. And I own quite a few STI's. It shoots super soft, its controllable and the perfect length for quick transitions.  

OP says he can't justify buying another 2011 just for IDPA. Use his 1911 or carry gun (undefined).

Keeping in the spirit of IDPA I suggested he use his carry gun. If its a G17/G19 or similar, should be good to go. 

Like someone else mentioned. IDPA rules say no "heavy" or "coned" barrels. If you have a "Bull" barrel you should be good. Thank Sig for that one.

Just swap out the mag well and have at it. Unless your limited gun has holes in the slide, but even then it may still be legal. For example DVC Limited should be legal.

• 5 weeks later...

I only shoot idpa every couple years. My backup 3 gun pistol is a 2011 Marauder in 9mm. As far as I know it's legal. Working up north now there are a couple of indoor idpa matches over the winter to shoot. They have pcc also so I will probably just shoot that.

8 hours ago, mike4045 said:

I only shoot idpa every couple years. My backup 3 gun pistol is a 2011 Marauder in 9mm. As far as I know it's legal. Working up north now there are a couple of indoor idpa matches over the winter to shoot. They have pcc also so I will probably just shoot that.

When and why did you move Mike?

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

When and why did you move Mike?

I only work up north, been doing it since July. I took a job to get 20/10 schedule. I still live in Texas. Headed home today. Hope to shoot a few matches while I am home.

Are you trying to be a gamer? If not just shoot your carry gun, not a bad idea to practice with them every now and then. I shoot IDPA for fun so I could care less what others are shooting, ask the MD about it they might let you shoot it.

Edited by floater
why not

19 hours ago, floater said:

Are you trying to be a gamer? If not just shoot your carry gun, not a bad idea to practice with them every now and then. I shoot IDPA for fun so I could care less what others are shooting, ask the MD about it they might let you shoot it.

Don’t think he needs IDPA matches to prove himself or become proficient.

Edited by Covfefe
I’m new here

18 hours ago, Covfefe said:

Don’t think he needs IDPA matches to prove himself or become proficient.

Not what I was getting at. If IDPA is going to be off season matches to keep skills sharp why not use a carry gun, if you are going in to play the game to win then go all in.

I shoot a STI Eagle in 40, I did not buy it just to shoot IDPA but as a backup limited gun but went with the bushing barrel so I could do both. The nice thing is I don't change a thing on the gun to shoot minor and it has always run perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm retiring the idea of shooting my .40 sti eagle as my esp gun. I just could not ever get everything in the package to be 100% all the time as far as function goes. The advantages I perceived to be gained by doing it just don't outweigh a set up I can't trust without doubt. Darn it. So I set the gun up to be a back up gun for shooting 40 major in uspsa limited division and it works great.

Trying to get .40 minor (180 grain plated bullets, 3.20 E3), slide lock mags(sti and mbx), ammo length between two different 2011's (1.175"), and an extended slide release (wilson or fusion) to all work together just wasn't happening for me.

6 hours ago, rowdyb said:

So I'm retiring the idea of shooting my .40 sti eagle as my esp gun. I just could not ever get everything in the package to be 100% all the time as far as function goes. The advantages I perceived to be gained by doing it just don't outweigh a set up I can't trust without doubt. Darn it. So I set the gun up to be a back up gun for shooting 40 major in uspsa limited division and it works great.

Trying to get .40 minor (180 grain plated bullets, 3.20 E3), slide lock mags(sti and mbx), ammo length between two different 2011's (1.175"), and an extended slide release (wilson or fusion) to all work together just wasn't happening for me.

Mine runs great at minor pf. I also run the ammo thru my limited gun works great for steel and 3 gun. Getting to go to slide lock was an issue, but that was worked out.

• 4 weeks later...