Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the state of the union? (Not political)

RevolverJockey

Looking to get back into USPSA and trying to figure out which division to shoot. What is the strength of the revolver division? I am about to move cross country and I would hate to invest in a competition centered revolver and get all geared up again if Limited 8 Minor was still in life support. Sorry for such a pointed, glum question, but does revolver have a future with the advent of PPC, Carry Optics and all the things that have happened since I have been away?

Lee

Whenever I attend a match, for the past ten years, it's tough to find three people shooting

revolver, SS or Ltd 10.

Everybody, for the past ten years, shoots Prod, Ltd or Open.

How long have you been gone?   Was it any better when you used to shoot Rev?

We've got a 35-40 monthly ICORE match

3-6 at USPSA

It's the guys like me "OH I haven't shot my 929/627 in a while" type of thing

It's still the most fun to shoot and since I'm still not making my living shooting I figure might as well enjoy what I do on the weekends.

Up to each of us how and at what level of commitment uspsa is.

Summary: shoot limited or open if you want to be in a crowd of people.

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Whenever I attend a match, for the past ten years, it's tough to find three people shooting

revolver, SS or Ltd 10.

Everybody, for the past ten years, shoots Prod, Ltd or Open.

How long have you been gone?   Was it any better when you used to shoot Rev?

About 3 or 4 years. Back then, out of say 35 shooters at a local match, we would have 2 to maybe 4 revolver shooters. SC was a different story where there might be 7-10 out of 50 entries. I made B class shooting 6 minor before the 8 shot rule change, but not everyone wanted to make the investment to stay competitive so when I got a .38 super 8 shot, I ended up shooting it in Production. 

I loved shooting shooting revolver, but I have a few Glocks and a production or limited rig, a PCC... 

I guess i am I am just nervous to spend $1,500+ to get back into revolver when even the forum doesn't seem as active as I remember. 

Lee

I have only seen a revolver a few times shooting a uspsa match locally.  Both of those guys have moved onto limited.  I just looked at the match breakdown for the WI sectional and there is exactly one guy shooting revolver.  Revolver appears dead in WI.

I think siphoning people off other divisions to shoot revolver is going to be a challenge as the initial cost is somewhat steep. What I don't understand is why revolver people don't shoot revolvers.  A prime example is James Austin - die hard revolver shooter, has 5 USPSA clubs within about an hour of home, regularly shoots falling plate matches at these clubs, wouldn't think twice about going out of state for an ICORE match, and probably has more competition revolvers than I have fingers and yet I have NEVER shot a USPSA match with him.

What is it that we don't have that keeps people interested? Is it just an aging technology that people are losing interest in?

8 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

I think siphoning people off other divisions to shoot revolver is going to be a challenge as the initial cost is somewhat steep. What I don't understand is why revolver people don't shoot revolvers.  A prime example is James Austin - die hard revolver shooter, has 5 USPSA clubs within about an hour of home, regularly shoots falling plate matches at these clubs, wouldn't think twice about going out of state for an ICORE match, and probably has more competition revolvers than I have fingers and yet I have NEVER shot a USPSA match with him.

What is it that we don't have that keeps people interested? Is it just an aging technology that people are losing interest in?

There are two top GMs in your area Lee, and James Austin is still around I think, just not shooting as much USPSA anymore. It's tough to shoot club matches regularly without competition, but they're there, not far from you. 

If you like it, get the gear and do it. Go to icore, and uspsa and steel matches. So many people say they want to do it and don't, most are just scared to actually do it though. Set the time aside for the IRC, USPSA Revo Nats, and the Steel Challenge. Plenty of revos at those matches. 

You only live once, might as well do all those things you want to do. 

I think most guys shy away from revolver because it is perceived to be too difficult. Revolver division shoots slower than the flat gun divisions and guys want to go fast.  At the match I frequent there may be as many as 125 shooters. Sometimes I am the only revo guy sometimes there are a half dozen of us. Since I started shooting my 627 in January I have received many compliments and a great deal of encouragement from all my shooting buddies and strangers alike. It has been fun and challenging. More guys will try revo when they see others dedicated to it and shooting it well. 

Many who shoot USPSA ask themselves "what should I shoot?" instead of "what do I want to shoot?" and end up shooting in a division, with a particular gun, for the wrong reasons. When/if they struggle they spend their energy on fixes instead of shooting and having fun. I want to have fun, shooting my revo is fun for me. 

Shoot your .38 super eight shot and have fun. :D

On 8/27/2017 at 9:36 AM, RevolverJockey said:

I think siphoning people off other divisions to shoot revolver is going to be a challenge as the initial cost is somewhat steep.

+1 

Both in $'s and time spent in unique skill development. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 2:40 PM, rjkelso said:

I think most guys shy away from revolver because it is perceived to be too difficult.

This is objectively true in the sense that a) its a double action pull every single time and b). reloading is a whole thing and you need to do it every 8 bangs...

Its also objectively false because every division is hard to be competitive in,like really hard, because USPSA is difficult to be really good at.

12 minutes ago, rjkelso said:

I agree seanc. I think most guys don't realize they would be as good shooting a revolver as they are shooting in any other division, if they put in the time and energy.

I very stupidly and probably arrogantly believed for a (very)brief period I would be at least a little bit "better" shooting an auto.

I'm not.  With an auto, all the shooting and gun handling is just that much faster across the board, for everyone.

You are the shooter you are within a couple percent either way, the division hardly matters.

39 minutes ago, seanc said:

I very stupidly and probably arrogantly believed for a (very)brief period I would be at least a little bit "better" shooting an auto.

I'm not.  With an auto, all the shooting and gun handling is just that much faster across the board, for everyone.

You are the shooter you are within a couple percent either way, the division hardly matters.

ive seen you shoot both, you just miss faster with an auto. 

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, rjkelso said:

I think most guys shy away from revolver because it is perceived to be too difficult. Revolver division shoots slower than the flat gun divisions and guys want to go fast.  At the match I frequent there may be as many as 125 shooters. Sometimes I am the only revo guy sometimes there are a half dozen of us. Since I started shooting my 627 in January I have received many compliments and a great deal of encouragement from all my shooting buddies and strangers alike. It has been fun and challenging. More guys will try revo when they see others dedicated to it and shooting it well. 

Many who shoot USPSA ask themselves "what should I shoot?" instead of "what do I want to shoot?" and end up shooting in a division, with a particular gun, for the wrong reasons. When/if they struggle they spend their energy on fixes instead of shooting and having fun. I want to have fun, shooting my revo is fun for me. 

Shoot your .38 super eight shot and have fun. :D

That just about sums it up nicely.

AD

3 minutes ago, MWP said:

Stay tuned Sean, I'm about to test this theory. 

which part?  about being basically the same regardless of the gun?

I mean, you are a alien/mutant so who knows.    You are not going to immediately be as good with an auto as you are with a revolver because you are the best in the world with a revolver right now.

You aren't are going to beat JJ  and max with a 2011 without some serious time, years, spent practicing.

I DO think you can definitely classify GM in any division though without to much work...

My opinion, this will surely twist some into knots.

1 hour ago, Dr. Phil said:

Perhaps at the East Coast Steel Challenge? Perhaps?

Yep, mailed 9mm that won't go bang in a revo, so it looks like I'm not bringing revos.

Steel Challenge is the most pure form of shooting I think. Switching divisions in USPSA means completely switching games. Comparing steel times should give a shooter a direct idea of what they are capable of, not the gun. 

Of course, time spent on that gun is applicable, so I might actually be slower...

2 hours ago, MWP said:

Yep, mailed 9mm that won't go bang in a revo, so it looks like I'm not bringing revos.

Steel Challenge is the most pure form of shooting I think. Switching divisions in USPSA means completely switching games. Comparing steel times should give a shooter a direct idea of what they are capable of, not the gun. 

Of course, time spent on that gun is applicable, so I might actually be slower...

Good luck, you will do well regardless but am curious how your time will compare.  

Run what you brung! You wanna shoot revo? Have at it! There are two regulars at our local match and one is a GM. He is an old school GM from way back and he shoots revo now. He is damn good too. Other guy is a really nice gentleman that enjoys himself and has a great time shooting his revolver. 

I'd love to try it but the last thing I need is another gun and caliber to load for.... another holster/belt/rig setup, moon clips, the works.