Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuff the pro's say

B_RAD

I've noticed, or at least think I've noticed, a consensus of opinions among the top level shooters in USPSA.  Tell me if you agree/disagree and add anything you've heard the top level shooters say that relates.

1. Process not results.

2. Relax.

3. It's NOT  the gear! 

4. Forget the feeling of slow! It's gonna feel slow to get the appropriate sight pic sometimes.

5. Speed and accuracy are two independent things. aka don't "slow" down to get your hits!

6. Visualize. 

7. Point, points, and points. 

8. Call your shots! 

9. Practice every day. Or as much as you can. Make time!

10. You can't shoot fast enough to make up for....

One that I've never heard actually siad but I'd bet most all would agree with is, ".15 splits dont make you fast." A year ago I thought that's what shooting fast meant. I'd rather have  .25 splits and .25 transitions.  Than .15 splits and .38 transitions. 

Edited by B_RAD

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard all these before but they all mean something different now.  For example, what does get all the points you can mean? Well, a year ago that meant go as slow as needed to get all A's. Now, that means get the appropriate sight picture required for each target and then call you shots, and make up as required!  If I decide I'm too slow, I'll practice at a later time so that I can eventually do those things while moving faster.  

Edited by B_RAD

The understanding of philosophy and techniques is an ever evolving process for me. #4 is especially true and SO DANG HARD to fully embrace.

As I progress to understand the "why" of certain objectives, others suddenly begin to make sense or the interconnection becomes clear.

Shooting is like life; if you're improving then you are always learning.

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

The understanding of philosophy and techniques is an ever evolving process for me. #4 is especially true and SO DANG HARD to fully embrace.

As I progress to understand the "why" of certain objectives, others suddenly begin to make sense or the interconnection becomes clear.

Shooting is like life; if you're improving then you are always learning.

Yes. #4 is hard to do!  I wanna go fast! I'm getting better. It takes longer for a make up than it does to refine a bad index in a target! 

Not sure about no. 3. Don't think you'll hear a pro say "it's NOT the gear." More likely to hear "you should have the [gun, holster, belt, bullets, mag pouches, whatever] that I am using/endorsing]. ?

3 hours ago, CoyoteMW said:

More likely to hear  "you should have whatever I am endorsing". ?

:D   :P   That's funny.

It is funny, but here on BE, you actually get much more honesty than that.

I've seen, over and over, "experts" making suggestions, but actually bending

over backwards to explain that they are sponsored shooters.

Great bunch of "experts" here    :) 

I heard an interview with JM awhile back. The interviewer asked him for some "tips" to get to that Pro level. JM smiled and said "Go shoot 200,000 rounds and come ask me again." (paraphrased due to signs of "sometimers...")

He talks often about shooting 50-80K/year.

Most of the pros I have shot with over the years have had mostly encouraging and helpful things to say.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

I heard an interview with JM awhile back. The interviewer asked him for some "tips" to get to that Pro level. JM smiled and said "Go shoot 200,000 rounds and come ask me again." (paraphrased due to signs of "sometimers...")

He talks often about shooting 50-80K/year.

Most of the pros I have shot with over the years have had mostly encouraging and helpful things to say.

You know how to get to Carnegie Hall don't you?

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

You know how to get to Carnegie Hall don't you?

Buy a ticket to the concert. :P

"Its not the gear"

You and I have proven this to ourselves many times over. Glock, M&P, Tanfo, CZ, and now myself with the new Walther Q5 Match. It doesn't matter which bow we use. Once the operator is proficient with it, the archer is pretty much solely responsible for the score.

Gear doesn't matter.

If it's an accurate, fullsize, reliable 9mm gun? Your scores in Production will be virtually the same.

Plastic guns transition faster. The stability of my 45 oz pig of a Stock 3 made 15yd plate racks feel like cheating. They're give and take.

Gear doesn't matter.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
C

Well, from Times Square you go down 10th Avenue, turn right on 57th Street, then go to the corner of 7th and you're there. Nothing to it. :)

Gear does matter. All things being equal, the shooter with the best equipment will win.

Age matters. All things being equal the younger shooter will prevail.

Physical condition matters. All things being equal, the shooter who is more physically fit will win.

Mental condition matters. Luck favors the mentally prepared (I think that was from a Steven Seagal movie). B)

2 hours ago, MikieM said:

Well, from Times Square you go down 10th Avenue, turn right on 57th Street, then go to the corner of 7th and you're there. Nothing to it. :)

Gear does matter. All things being equal, the shooter with the best equipment will win.

Age matters. All things being equal the younger shooter will prevail.

Physical condition matters. All things being equal, the shooter who is more physically fit will win.

Mental condition matters. Luck favors the mentally prepared (I think that was from a Steven Seagal movie). B)

You're missing the point.  

If you cant hit alphas at 7 yds buying a "better" gun won't solve that problem. 

I doubt anyone that's came in second place at nationals would yell you it was because the winner had a better gun, holster or lighter recoil spring.  

1 minute ago, B_RAD said:

I doubt anyone that's came in second place at nationals would yell you it was because the winner had a better gun, holster or lighter recoil spring.  

Did you not read the part about, "all things being equal"?

If you and I are equal in all things (accuracy, power, speed, etc.), but I have better equipment, I'll beat you every time.

26 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Did you not read the part about, "all things being equal"?

If you and I are equal in all things (accuracy, power, speed, etc.), but I have better equipment, I'll beat you every time.

The problem with this statement is that "better" in this sense is very subjective.  If you have an accurate reliable gun, a new gun probably wont help.  If you have quality mag holders, different ones probably won't help.  If you have clear safe glasses, rudys probably wont help, etc, etc.  But practice will

I think the real problem with this entire post is the assumption that each response is the correct one. Mine included. Nothing could be further from the truth.

This is a purely philosophical debate. I don't know if any so-called "Pro's" weighed in here, but if they did you'll note that each of them would have had a different perspective.

Our sport is a dynamic, and fluid endeavor. There aren't really rights and wrongs so much as there are known guidelines.

So far, my directions on getting to Carnegie Hall has been the only thing with any truth to it.

30 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I think the real problem with this entire post is the assumption that each response is the correct one. Mine included. Nothing could be further from the truth.

This is a purely philosophical debate. I don't know if any so-called "Pro's" weighed in here, but if they did you'll note that each of them would have had a different perspective.

Our sport is a dynamic, and fluid endeavor. There aren't really rights and wrongs so much as there are known guidelines.

So far, my directions on getting to Carnegie Hall has been the only thing with any truth to it.

RJH hit what "its not the gear" meant. Essentially to say a Glock is no better or worse than an CZ.  People out there csnt hit targets and rather than practice they buy mew gear. This is not exclusive to shooting. 

As for questioning of if any pro's actually siad any of this stuff. I'd say, again you're missing the point. Read the first sentence in my OP. Its just stuff ive seemed to have noticed. Im not sayong they're preaching this as gospel. Though, I have heard a few of them say very similar things to a couple of them if not most of them.   

Edited by B_RAD

Looked at the list again. I've heard everyone of those things said before from either Ben Stoegers podcast, Steven Andersons podcsst and books. There's a complete chapter about calling your shots where he interviews Max Michel about calling shots. 

On 8/25/2017 at 1:44 PM, B_RAD said:

Kinda, sorta, maybe.

My wife is a casual shooter at best. For the last six months she's been trying to switch to a G34. Her progress has been frustrating to say the least. We're talking 80% alphas with misses at 7 yards, static, no time. Add in transitions and she drops to less than 50%. She's shot 4k rounds in that time. I subscribed to the "it's not the equipment" theory but relented and gave her my Shadow (I love that gun). She instantly went to 100% alphas and clean transitions. I'm sure with better training and more ammo she could have fixed her problems with the Glock (I'd have paid for it too) but that's not in the cards. It is undeniable that for her equipment makes the difference between blasting dirt and ringing steel.

At a certain level I agree with you but that doesn't apply evenly to everyone. Skill level, experience, fitness, training, etc all play into how an individual interacts with their equipment. When a "pro" says equipment doesn't matter I'd probably ask why they aren't shooting a Ruger P89 instead of whatever they have been using. The statement is mostly self aggrandizing claptrap.

I guess it only makes sense to me?  

Sure, a Hipoint isn't as good as a bad arse 2011!  I still don't think gear is as important as trigger time. 

I'll quote @MemphisMechanic and ask, how many times has a shooter with a cz shadow won a production natiinal title? How many has someone shooting a Glock won?

@B_RAD and @858...

Equipment matters in that a CZ is meant for tiny human hands. I absoltely hate holding them, and went with a Tanfo specifically to get into something that actually filled my long, but skinny hands.

A G34 is just plain too big for your average female's hands to optimally hold.

The equipment does matter, insofar that you have to be able to comfortably reach and operate everything.

After that, well, a Walther Q5 or a CZ or Tanfo or Glock will result in pretty much the same score if the operator is up to the challenge and well practiced with that platform.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

6 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I guess it only makes sense to me?  

Sure, a Hipoint isn't as good as a bad arse 2011!  I still don't think gear is as important as trigger time. 

I'll quote @MemphisMechanic and ask, how many times has a shooter with a cz shadow won a production natiinal title? How many has someone shooting a Glock won?

It does make sense in context. Generally it is not a benefit to hop from platform to platform searching for the latest and greatest. Practice, practice, practice...once you have the equipment that matters. But equipment does matter...a lot.

14 minutes ago, 858 said:

It does make sense in context. Generally it is not a benefit to hop from platform to platform searching for the latest and greatest. Practice, practice, practice...once you have the equipment that matters. But equipment does matter...a lot.

Yes!   

What some folks do, is have bad results with adequate equipment and then go out and buy the new hotness, then still have the same problems. When a good two weeks worth of proper practice would yeild better results.