Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropping mag

blacklab

It doesn't matter how many rounds were in the magazine as long as you avoid wasting time with something such as a standing reload. I have had stages where I did a mag change with 14 rounds left in the magazine and stages were I ran the mag to empty. Judge it based on how difficult the shots will be and if you think you will need a makeup.

I like running 3+ mags just in case. I have found some 34+ round stages where I need a couple makeups or  a good spot between arrays where i drop 8 rds in the mag or have a mag crap itself. 

Edited by Novagunner

There was a stage at the desert classic this weekend where shooting limited I needed to reload twice, and once after only firing 8 shots.  You dont see that too often but it happens.  

At the same match I was handed an empty mag I had dropped.  Thats an Oh sh!t moment in limited.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have deliberately ran my mags to 1 or 2 rounds, but it was the type of stage that had  10 close paper.  Maybe a 5 step run, and 3 more paper.

The shots were easy, the reload made sense.  

Most of the time, better safe then sorry. 

• 3 weeks later...

I try to put a real life spin on it. If I just engaged several bad guys and knew around the corner or down the way I was going to have to engage some more, I would want as many bullets in my gun as possible to not have to stand there with my a&@$) in the wind while doing a standing reload. To me that's why it's called practical shooting. 

One of the first set of things I had to learn shooting Prod: Plan your reloads while stage planning to execute while moving so that you are not doing it standing which costs you points.  There have been times I reloaded after only firing 4 shots since the next array was an 8 shot one and I had to move anyways. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do it the exact same way OP described.  Pick a planned reload place where I'll not be at slide lock during my stage planning and then reload at that point.  With proper planning, I should never have to reload from slide lock.  And like someone else said, if i end up with an empty mage, I've screwed up the stage.

Ideally, the only time to run to slide lock (USPSA) is if the last shots in the array benefit it.  A miss or poor shot placement will necessatate it at times when your stage 'plan' goes to poop.    

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve only ever shot IDPA due to the only USPSA match near me is 2 ½ hours away. I’m used to only having slide lock reloads.m, I wonder how hard it’s going to break that habit when I go to a USPSA match. ??

On 3/27/2018 at 10:46 AM, Wrathen said:

I’ve only ever shot IDPA due to the only USPSA match near me is 2 ½ hours away. I’m used to only having slide lock reloads.m, I wonder how hard it’s going to break that habit when I go to a USPSA match. ??

Pretty easy to make that switch. You’ll just pause for a second after seating the mag and thinking about running the slide home to realize... “oh right. I’m done with the load already.”

It’s just like doing a tac load or RWR now: on the move from A to B, no need to manipulate the slide. You simply drop the partial in the dirt instead of slowing to retain it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic