matt7184

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/30/2017 at 9:28 PM, Bright said:

I'm thrilled that glock listened to its user base and put some quality sights on the new....  Well at least the trigger is much better... we'll, at least I'm saving $500 from buying a new gun

I prefer the plastic sights because they don't add to the cost and are easy to remove to put sights one actually wants

18 hours ago, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

I prefer the plastic sights because they don't add to the cost and are easy to remove to put sights one actually wants

+1

Sights are the most personal preference part of a handgun, so why would Glock spend time and money developing "quality" sights when over half (and I think I'm being conservative) of owners will change them out anyway? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 1:05 PM, Barracuda said:

Sights are the most personal preference part of a handgun, so why would Glock spend time and money developing "quality" sights when over half (and I think I'm being conservative) of owners will change them out anyway? 

Having looked down the new sights I can say that for me, they're good enough to use for Production competition - MUCH better than the stock Glock sights or old Glock night sights.

I'm probably one of the only ones here, too, that doesn't like the Glock 19 - just doesn't fit my hand.  The 17 fits perfectly.

So I went to the FFL to pick up the Gen 5 17 and left without it. Nothing wrong with it, nothing overly right either. I do like the grip texture more and the trigger might feel less stacky, but it isn't something a little skate tap and some dry firing couldn't fix in any other glock. I have a couple Gen

2s from the Cold War era and I wouldn't spend $100 to "upgrade" them Gen 5s. 

One thing I did notice that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that the trigger bar now rubs against the right side slide stop vice flexing against the thin section on the right side of the frame. Might have been my imagination but the trigger does feel a bit more positive?? 

I was also hoping it would have that feature you always see in the movies where you can cock the hammer but it didn't. Bummer. 

Edited by RevolverJockey

• 3 months later...

Instead of starting a new thread I’ll just ask this here...

The Gen3 has a fractionally smaller grip diameter. (At least to me). How does the gen5 compare?  I realize the lack of finger grooves will change the feel. But that not withstanding, what are y’alls opinions?

Thanks

Gen 5’s grip is smaller than the Gen 2 or 3, but the Gen 5 includes medium and large back straps you can install (both with and without beaver tails) if you like something larger.

Edited by JLB-US

5 minutes ago, JLB-US said:

Gen 5’s grip is smaller than the Gen 2 or 3, but the Gen 5 includes medium and large back straps you can install (both with and without beaver tails) if you like something larger.

Thank you JLB. I’ve actually decided that the naked gen 3 is a better fit for me. So this is good news. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, finally got my G5 17 in today (thanks again Area 4!).  Got it with the AG Bold sights.  Thought that meant a .125 front but it has the .140.  I'm going to try it but may reach out to Glock and see if they'll swap it out or authorize a swap.

The grip wraps have gone on and are setting.  The replacement 4# striker spring, SS guide rod, cap and 13# flat spring are ordered, matching what I use on my 17 MOS for Carry Optics.

I really like the updated trigger/safety plunger design - significantly removes the 'wall' of previous generations.  Enough so that not having an upgraded trigger return spring is no big deal (and the plunger might not be a big deal either - looking for advice there).  I also like the feel of a lightly polished dot connector, so I'm not planning on swapping out the connector.  Getting the striker spring changed should be the most significant change.

The questions that remain:

• Is there any significant difference with a lightweight plunger spring with the new plunger design?
  • Are there any trigger spring changes like the old heavier trigger return spring for the Gen 5's using the OEM trigger (I know the mechanism is different and the older 'swap out the trigger spring won't work)?
  • Given the updated trigger feel, is the connector really a big change here?  I don't want to trade any "lighter" for "mushier" and I've had bad experiences with anything other than OEM connectors, preferring the dot to the minus.

Thoughts from those that are competing with this pistol? 

Sure, much of it comes down to personal preference but I'm open to advice from people that have been doing this for a few months now.

I just picked up my G5 17 last weekend and other than the stock plastic sights having me hitting low I'm very happy with it.

I typically like the dot connector but in this gun I threw in a polished minus connector and found I prefer that.  I tried a 4lb striker spring and it wouldn't reset the trigger safety and the 4.5lb would just barely.  I may order a 5lb and a plunger spring to try but for now I'm happy with polished OEM parts and springs.

Edited by NWfront

15 hours ago, brianr34 said:

Does the flared magwell area on the Gen 5 make it easier to change mags for competition?

Is the accuracy improved with the new barrel?

The old barrel was more accurate than I was so I can't answer that.

I think the flared magwell is nice - definitely a small advantage in production.  Until I get more mag change practice in during dry fire I won't know much more.

The magwell isn't a huge difference but definitely an improvement especially once you get a grip plug in.

As for accuracy I never had any issues with the previous gens.  As an update in that department my new Dawson Gen 5 specific sights have me shooting POA/POI.

IMG_20180127_181456.jpg

Edited by NWfront

2 hours ago, MegaCleanCab said:

I just saw the gen 5 34 lacks the slide cut which exposes the barrel.  I would be interested to see the weight difference between the 34 mos gen 4 and the gen 5.

Glock publishes weights on their site.  According to that the Gen 45 is 1/4 oz heavier unloaded.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of filling the backstrap for more of an internal magwell, but thinking that might be something I’d be more comfortable paying for. 

Anyone offering the “Speedwell” service anymore or seen it done on a Gen 5?

Edited by JLB-US

Best explanation I’ve heard of the barrel is that it’s still polygonal but a different type. Think it’s in the Chris Bartocci video (small arms solutions YouTube). No lead still reccomemded is what they are saying. 

32 minutes ago, JLB-US said:

Best explanation I’ve heard of the barrel is that it’s still polygonal but a different type. Think it’s in the Chris Bartocci video (small arms solutions YouTube). No lead still reccomemded is what they are saying. 

A bigger question for me is are they quantifiably more accurate? Anyone put one in a ransom rest yet?