Glock Gen 5

matt7184

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the image on the bottom left say?  I can see the other 4 features listed are ambi controls, flared magwell, no finger grooves, and different rifling.

It looks identical to the M models.  Kind of strange to come out with the M and then the Gen 5 a few months later.  They could've just called it the Gen 5 from the start...

I like the ginger groves. That is a one pin gun so there is that. 

Basically they made no meaningful upgrades.... all they did was slap gen5 on it and say, hey we made a new gun. 

I like the ginger groves. That is a one pin gun so there is that. 

Basically they made no meaningful upgrades.... all they did was slap gen5 on it and say, hey we made a new gun. 

I always liked the finger grooves myself, to take them away is to be like every other firearm out there. That was one of the Glock features. But I'm guessing enough people complained " feedback " so they caved.

9 hours ago, tattooo said:

I always liked the finger grooves myself, to take them away is to be like every other firearm out there. That was one of the Glock features. But I'm guessing enough people complained " feedback " so they caved.

The irony is that in the 90s shooters were putting the Hogue rubber finger groove condoms on the gen 2s as the first must have grip mod : ), and 1911 purists like how I was originally back then were dismissing the front cocking serrations on any firearm - moral of the story, people forget, everything comes in cycles and no one is ever satisfied.

Edited by Sniperboy

People complain Glock doesn make big or meaningful changes, but to me they are like AC/DC, iterating on a basic, proven platform.  I have big hands, so my only concern is that little cutout on the front strap, wonder if i would get pinched as i insert a mag.  I dont even notice the finger grooves, so not sure that will have an effect.

My ideal would be if companies just started putting out smooth grip guns that you could then put different adhesive textures on that were available die cut from the factory for cheap because no G10 grip nor stippling I have tried comes close to grip tape. For people that carry they could sell ultra fine grit or rubberized texture like talon has. That's just my position- I am just glad that with the flat front strap grip tape should be much easier to apply. 

Does anyone know what parts are compatible with previous gens? I heard even mags may have an issue? As long as TTI makes a connector kit, old mags work, and regular Glock sights work I think I'll be happy. 

9 minutes ago, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

My ideal would be if companies just started putting out smooth grip guns that you could then put different adhesive textures on that were available die cut from the factory for cheap because no G10 grip nor stippling I have tried comes close to grip tape. For people that carry they could sell ultra fine grit or rubberized texture like talon has. That's just my position- I am just glad that with the flat front strap grip tape should be much easier to apply. 

Does anyone know what parts are compatible with previous gens? I heard even mags may have an issue? As long as TTI makes a connector kit, old mags work, and regular Glock sights work I think I'll be happy. 

It looks like all the Gen 5 small frame guns are using the gen 4 G19 locking block which means the Gen 5 G19 barrels are backward and forward compatible but 17/34 are not. It looks like the only consistently carried over parts are magazines and sights. Glock specifically said mags are backward compatible.

Edited by 858

http://recoiljunkie.com/new-glock-gen5-17-19-perfection/

I was able to play with one today. 

The flared magwell isn't really a benefit. It's cool but the side to side really wasn't an issue. SO they could keep the ability to manually strip a mag out the cut out the front on the grip adding a hang point on fast reloads. The perfect thing would have been to also flare the front along with the sides, and fill in the plug area and make it angled too. The finish is really nice, it's a factory DLC option that is well done.

Most of the internals are different in one way or another. I think the striker spring, connector and some misc small parts are the same. Only the Glock 19 does the aftermarket barrels work. I think for the most part the internals are improved, will get less spring breaks and less striker wear. Can easily tune the factory parts like I do now and have a great trigger. 

Mags have the orange follower and a longer base pad for manual strippage. 

I'm with polymerfeelsweirdman just give me a perfectly smooth grip and sell laser cut grip tape to fit. That way I can have it rough and Tactical Timmy can get his rubberized. 

Went to a shop today fully prepared to buy the 17 and after handling it, I changed my mind. I didn't find the trigger to be much different and the magwell didn't really impress either. I may still get one if the barrel proves to be as accurate as they say, but for now I'll pass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Trigger felt the same as previous generations. Too early to tell if the trigger changes will make it have higher potential for better trigger after trigger job. I was thrilled about the flared magwell but the huge notch in the front ruined it. I feel like the nose of bullet will hang up on the notch if reload isn't perfect.