Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Recipee for 9mm Reloading with 147g Projectile

Orbit

20 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

You should determine your own OAL. e.g. I load to an OAL of 1.135 for a Ruger SR9/9E, M&P, and Glocks but that length will not work in a Shadow or PPQ.

TG is by no means clean but it shouldn't induce FTF's or FTE's, especially at 70 rounds. I shoot over 300 rounds twice a week and my firearms become very dirty but are 100% reliable. Many powders will be dirty when you're barely making PF. I don't think you have a dirty powder problem, something else is wrong. What velocity are you getting over the chrono?

My light powder charge might be my issues with extreme dirtiness. I run 3.2gr of TG, 147gr CamPro, CCI primers, COL @1.135" and crimp at .376". 

This load is very accurate out of my GrandPower K100 Target that is regularly maintained as far as springs and stuff. 

Will load up 3.5gr of TG, 147gr CamPro, CCI primers, COL @1.120" and crimp at .376" tomorrow night to test on Wed. The pistol is used in service pistol and PPC matches that don't have a power factor limit so I have never tested them on a chrono. (plus I don't have one lol)

On 28/08/2017 at 6:22 PM, MET said:

My light powder charge might be my issues with extreme dirtiness. I run 3.2gr of TG, 147gr CamPro, CCI primers, COL @1.135" and crimp at .376". 

This load is very accurate out of my GrandPower K100 Target that is regularly maintained as far as springs and stuff. 

Will load up 3.5gr of TG, 147gr CamPro, CCI primers, COL @1.120" and crimp at .376" tomorrow night to test on Wed. The pistol is used in service pistol and PPC matches that don't have a power factor limit so I have never tested them on a chrono. (plus I don't have one lol)

Your failures have nothing to do with the loads dirtiness. I used to own a GP K100 and can verify zero issues with Titegroup in that firearm. Are you just throwing darts when it comes to OAL? Or are you actually measuring the max OAL for your Grand Power? Always determine your own OAL.

When it comes to data you're in luck, I've done the work for you, lol.

FIREARM            BRASS  PRIMER   POWDER    LOAD    PROJECTILE                   OAL    AVG    ES    SD    PF    TEMP
Ruger SR9/9E    Mixed    Fiocchi    Titegroup    3.2gr    CamPro 147gr RNFP    1.135    834    30    10  122    27° C
Ruger SR9/9E    Mixed    Fiocchi    Titegroup    3.4gr    CamPro 147gr RNFP    1.135    865    18    5    127    27° C
Ruger SR9/9E    Mixed    Fiocchi    Titegroup    3.6gr    CamPro 147gr RNFP    1.135    900     8     2    132    23° C

As you can see the projectile is only travelling at approximately 834 fps with 3.2gr of Titegroup but at around 3.6gr you hit the magic velocity number.

Edited by 4n2t0

14 hours ago, MET said:

Thanks for the info 4n2t0. Yes I physically measured the OAL with the CamPro's in my K100. I take it 900fps is ideal for this bullet. 

Not specifically for the CamPro but the 147gr projectile in general. I find that groups seem to tighten up at approximately 900+ fps and rarely are the most accurate loads obtained at the minimum charge weight.

Here's my 147gr load data for several powders that I use with my STI 9mm Trojan: OAL 1.150", CCI500 primer, Berry's 147gr PRN

Silhouette

Avg Velocity

Preferred

AutoComp

Avg Velocity

Preferred

CFE Pistol

Avg Velocity

Preferred

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 5:31 PM, MET said:

What did you COL did you end up going with? Do either of your guns get very dirty after around 70rds with your TG loads? I run a similar load but find it extremely dirty. I tested on Friday with a totally clean pistol and started to to FTF's and one FTE at around 70rds. Not to ideal when I go to shoot a 120 round match. 

Is the OAL and COL the same, my OALK - 1.12'

• 2 weeks later...

Friends,

Just shoot this afternoon and performed the chrono.

I passed all the 3 pistols for 132pf: CZ Shadow 1 & 2, STI Spartan, all 9mm

OAL - 1.112"

Crimp - .378"

Powder - 3.3 TG

Projectile - 147g

I will try to lower down the powder a bit and increase the OAL to 1.125". Now, I am in the process of determining the best recoil spring for the above pistols.

Right now for CZ shadow 1 & 2 are both in 11 lbs and the STI Spartan 5 in 10lbs.

Hoping to hear from you friends.

On 8/30/2017 at 9:19 PM, 4n2t0 said:

Not specifically for the CamPro but the 147gr projectile in general. I find that groups seem to tighten up at approximately 900+ fps and rarely are the most accurate loads obtained at the minimum charge weight.

Spin the bullet faster, and it flies straighter. Shocking. ;)

Steel falls more assertively, the gun shoots more accurately, and runs more reliably. These are the reasons I like ammo at 133-135 power factor more than powder puff 125.001 stuff. 

Espcially when you don’t actually shoot the slightly lighter ammo any faster, contrary to what you want to believe.

• 1 year later...

in a pickle here looking for reloading data for CAMPRO 147 and N320, need to reload some for tomorrow and my current load seems off and want to make sure I have the right ammo.

CAMPRO 147 and N320

Thanks

Edited by Avenida

• 3 months later...
On 8/22/2017 at 7:14 PM, Butterpuc said:

3.2 N320

That’s a super soft shooting load in my Shadow 2, casing barely clears the ejection port, usually rolls off the back of my hand and lands at my feet. 

On 11/17/2018 at 5:47 PM, Avenida said:

in a pickle here looking for reloading data for CAMPRO 147 and N320, need to reload some for tomorrow and my current load seems off and want to make sure I have the right ammo.

CAMPRO 147 and N320

Thanks

Avenida:

Not familiar with the CamPro 147...........however, I was shooting a Montana Gold 147 CMJ on top of 3.6g of N320 with an OAL of 1.142 for a 133.48PF.  Avg for 10 shot group was 908fps.  This was out of both a Glock G17G4 and a G34G4.  

Excellent performance and accuracy!

VV has a ton of reloading data available on their site:

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=89

:cheers:

Edited by HOGRIDER
update