Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Recipee for 9mm Reloading with 147g Projectile

Orbit

Friends,

I am now ready for reloading a 9mm minor load. May I request for your experience on what is the best load or recipee for minor 9mm?

I am looking to use this for IPSC; production, classic and standard division Lev 1 & 2 only. I am looking for the best low recoil, reliable feeding and accuracy.

Temporarily, I am starting to the below recipee from my bestfriend:

OAL: 1.125"

Bullet Weight: 147g

Powder: Titegroup 3.3 grains

Primer: Federal small rifle primer (no stock for small pistol primer here in my local stores)

Will be tested tomorrow.

Thanks as always.

No one can tell you what's "best" for your gear but in general...

1) Low recoil = Fast powder with a heavy projectile. You're already on the right track with the Titegroup load and a 147gr projectile.

2) Reliable feeding = You're on your own here. ALWAYS find/measure the max OAL for your barrel(s) and magazine(s) every time you use a new projectile.

3) Accuracy = Again, you're on your own here. You'll need to do some testing. Sometimes the stars don't align completely. e.g. WSF is my most accurate load but it's a slow(ish) powder. Regardless, the recoil difference is negligible and it's one of my favourite loads.

Did you find that OAL on your own? Did you plunk test the loads in your barrel? Are you loading CamPro? If so you might have to increase that charge depending on your barrel length. A 147gr CamPro with 3.6gr of Titegroup gets me 900 fps (132 PF) out of a 4.2" barrel. Your chrono will let you know what's going on.

Edited by 4n2t0

Hi Friends,

Sorry for the lack of information.

I will be using it to STI Trojan 5 9mm and CZ Shadow 1 & 2.

My projectile is 147g Campro Full Copper Plated, round nose and Flat tip.

OAL : 1.125"

Powder: Titegroup 3.3grains

I have a 5 inch Trojan as well and am running the following.

147gr H&S .356 Coated Cast

3.5gr W231

Federal/Winchester/Whatever SPP

1.14 OAL

.378 Crimp

132PF

I couldn't be happier with this load, I love the whole fast powder, heavy bullet thing. Super soft shooting, feeds great, and more than accurate. This load won't make PF with a 4 inch barrel though.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Hi Friends,

It'll be different out of both guns. You'll generally need .2 gr more to get the same PF with plated/jacketed compared to coated bullets.

You'll prolly need to load shorter for the CZs....but I'd just ream the barrel. Which you can do, even in ipsc as a reliability improvement.

43 minutes ago, adamge said:

Recommend loading the 147g CamPro 9mm at 1.095" OAL for use in a Shadow 1 / 2.  Personally I motivate it with 4.2grains of Silhouette, but TG should work.

So basically what CamPro recommends.

He shouldn't load to any length other than the one he finds to be suitable for his specific barrels.

11 hours ago, Orbit said:

Hi Friends,

I'm around the same load as you,   1.085 @ 3.2g put my at 127PF which is a tad low for me to be safe.     147g plated, 3.2g titegroup, 1.08 oal RN.

3.2 Titegroup or N320 with 147s makes PF from my original Shadow. In the Shadow 2 you could probably go lower on the powder. Use Winchester small pistol primers if you cannnot get Federal, I believe stock Shadows have a 13lb mainspring in the gun which will ignite Winchesters 100%. (I'm at about 99% with Winchesters with an 11lb spring in my shadow)

Edited by mikeinctown

2 hours ago, mikeinctown said:

3.2 Titegroup or N320 with 147s makes PF from my original Shadow. In the Shadow 2 you could probably go lower on the powder. Use Winchester small pistol primers if you cannnot get Federal, I believe stock Shadows have a 13lb mainspring in the gun which will ignite Winchesters 100%. (I'm at about 99% with Winchesters with an 11lb spring in my shadow)

He probably wouldn't make PF with 3.2gr of Titegroup and a CamPro projectile, if he does it won't be by much.

Edited by 4n2t0

Friends, thank you for the overwhelming replies and suggestions. Again I am new in reloading and I thought projectile is a projectile with 115, 124 & 147 grains. In my understanding, it also depends to the kind, brand and coating of the projectiles. It is a very good input. Here in our local stores, we can only get most of the time the campro and expensive mbx. I dont want uncoated lead projectiles.

Your inputs are all taken and will try according to the available materials down here. Right now, I have a campro 147g FCP RNFT and 124g FCP RN. For powders, Titegroup for minor load and possible reloading in the future of major loads using HS-6 (included when i bought the used 550b).

Saturday is a shooting day for me. I will update everyone.

Thanks

UPDATES:

After my range day, the following were recorded and noticed:

1. Using the titegroup with 3.3g 147g projectile is the best for both the cz shadow 1 and sti trojan 9mm

2. I even try to use a 147g projectile campro copper plated round nose with 4g titegroup to my STI Stinger and was very accurate, POA to POI (10 yards & 25 yards) in a very small play

2 hours ago, Orbit said:

UPDATES:

After my range day, the following were recorded and noticed:

1. Using the titegroup with 3.3g 147g projectile is the best for both the cz shadow 1 and sti trojan 9mm

2. I even try to use a 147g projectile campro copper plated round nose with 4g titegroup to my STI Stinger and was very accurate, POA to POI (10 yards & 25 yards) in a very small play

What did you COL did you end up going with? Do either of your guns get very dirty after around 70rds with your TG loads? I run a similar load but find it extremely dirty. I tested on Friday with a totally clean pistol and started to to FTF's and one FTE at around 70rds. Not to ideal when I go to shoot a 120 round match. 

Edited by MET

4 hours ago, MET said:

What did you COL did you end up going with? Do either of your guns get very dirty after around 70rds with your TG loads? I run a similar load but find it extremely dirty. I tested on Friday with a totally clean pistol and started to to FTF's and one FTE at around 70rds. Not to ideal when I go to shoot a 120 round match. 

You should determine your own OAL. e.g. I load to an OAL of 1.135 for a Ruger SR9/9E, M&P, and Glocks but that length will not work in a Shadow or PPQ.

TG is by no means clean but it shouldn't induce FTF's or FTE's, especially at 70 rounds. I shoot over 300 rounds twice a week and my firearms become very dirty but are 100% reliable. Many powders will be dirty when you're barely making PF. I don't think you have a dirty powder problem, something else is wrong. What velocity are you getting over the chrono?

Edited by 4n2t0

I have a lot of recent load data specifically for the shadow 2

for 135 Bayou's

for 147 Xtremes

for 147 FMJ JHP    with various OAL's.  and some slight powder changes, was trying to find the magic number to shoot the best groups.   I loaded all the way out past 1.150 and started at 1.085 if your interested.

Edited by jtrump

22 hours ago, MET said:

I'd be checking your equipment and ordering some new springs or something. The only FTFs I've had in the last 3,000 rounds have been because I am running an 11.5 mainspring and using winchester primers. -only started getting an FTF every 100 rounds between rounds 2,000-2,500. I then switched to Federal primers and had one FTF in the last 500 and no FTEs in the 3,000+ rounds since I bought the gun used. I've been using HP38 which is way dirty and Titegroup which is noticably cleaner than the HP38

In the next two weeks I am putting in a new firing pin spring, likely replacing the firing pin, and while I'm at it a new trigger spring. Already has a newer recoil and main spring.