Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solar eclipse

Youngeyes

This solar eclipse was way cool. I projected the image of the sun through my Nikon spotting telescope. I'm in CT so we only got a 2/3 eclipse. Anyone else take pictures that were nearer to the full eclipse line?

1516.jpeg

I didn't get any pictures, but I'm in Northern Utah and we got about 80% of a total eclipse.  I know loads of people here who drove another 2-3 hours north to get into the direct path.  I walked outside of work a couple hours ago to take a look.  Really neat to get to see it.

3 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

This solar eclipse was way cool. I projected the image of the sun through my Nikon spotting telescope. I'm in CT so we only got a 2/3 eclipse. Anyone else take pictures that were nearer to the full eclipse line?

1516.jpeg

Great picture.

Here in the Houston area the sun appeared a bit fuzzy and that was it.  Nothing worth taking a picture.

About 98-99% in Eugene, Oregon, but not dark enough to go without protective lenses or see the corona. Felt cheated, even at 98-99%. Viewers and travelers about one hour north of here (Corvallis and Salem) went nuts.  Folks in Madras, Oregon (east of here) went completely nuts. The creepy thing that DID occur here in Eugene was it got SO incredibly quiet you could hear . . . nothing. The wind even quit. Spooky. Not a sound. Anywhere.  :ph34r:

We are apparently in direct line for an "annular" eclipse on October 14, 2023. An "annular" is sort-of a total coverage eclipse but with a ring-of-fire around the orb. The moon is apparently a little farther away from the Earth in an "annular" than in a "total," but it's still worth chasing. I'm calendaring it!  :P

2 hours ago, SiG Lady said:

We are apparently in direct line for an "annular" eclipse on October 14, 2023. An "annular" is sort-of a total coverage eclipse but with a ring-of-fire around the orb. The moon is apparently a little farther away from the Earth in an "annular" than in a "total," but it's still worth chasing. I'm calendaring it!  :P

I'm calling "dibs" on your guest room.  Got it on my calendar.  (This assumes the next eclipse also has Houston out of the "cool" zone.)

Gleason was a classic, to say the least. We couldn't get enough of him, Alice, and Ed Norton. The set was ultra-simple and much was left to the imagination. But the set didn't have to mean much because the CHARACTERS said it all.  :D

• 3 months later...

I saw the total eclipse from Weiser, Idaho, just across the Oregon line, and almost centered in the path of totality.   Pretty awesome, and not a cloud in the sky that day (which is why so many people went to the high desert to view it)   The little high school there made about $40K renting campsites on their athletic fields, and concessions; not a bad fund raiser, though not one that is easily repeated.

(yeah, I'm late with my post, but I just joined here a week ago...)

11 minutes ago, 10X said:

I saw the total eclipse from Weiser, Idaho, just across the Oregon line, and almost centered in the path of totality.   Pretty awesome, and not a cloud in the sky that day (which is why so many people went to the high desert to view it)   The little high school there made about $40K renting campsites on their athletic fields, and concessions; not a bad fund raiser, though not one that is easily repeated.

(yeah, I'm late with my post, but I just joined here a week ago...)

Late? It's almost Christmas! :):lol: