Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major PF with Tanfo Gold Team 9mm

Ck867

1 minute ago, aandabooks said:

Have you done any load development for either barrel?

I have not. I did test some ammo that a friend has for his sti dvc open which makes major PF but it wasn't even close with the ported barrel. It was more then 100 fps difference. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now have some actual load data to offer.  Got out this morning to chrono some loads.  I'm in Central IL and it was 80 degrees.  Chrono was set 15 feet away.  The two bullets that I was testing are both Precision Delta 124gr HP and RN.  The HP are loaded to 1.140" and RN to 1.170".  All loads are HS-6.  The bullets plunk tested at home but while shooting had an issue with 2 getting caught in the rifling.  All of my loads made major.

Here is the data:

Solid Barrel 7.5gr HP 1447.2 FPS

Solid Barrel 7.7gr HP 1457.8 FPS

At this point I switched barrels.  No point going any further with those velocities.  I'll restart that barrel around 6.5gr.

V12 Barrel 7.5gr HP 1353.8 FPS

V12 Barrel 7.7gr HP 1356.0 FPS

V12 Barrel 7.9gr RN 1372.3 FPS

V12 Barrel 8.1gr RN 1376.8 FPS

Looks like 7.7gr is going to be the load I work around.  All loads kept the dot in the window and felt pretty good but I only have experience with this open gun so can't make much comparison for recoil feel.

With this load data I think I'm going to place an order for PD 124 RN and back the seating down to 1.150".  I've never heard anything about HS-6 being temp sensitive.  

Once I dial in a HS-6 load I am going to experiment with Autocomp and AA#7.  I'm way less nervous now that I've easily made major on my first batch than I was a week ago.

Got out today for some further chrono work.  Unfortunately all did not go well.  I had loaded up some 124gr Montana Gold HPs over 7.8gr of HS-6.  These were seated down to 1.110" and will not feed.  Had them lock up the gun and when getting the slide open the bullet stuck in the rifling.  I had some issues the day befor with some PD hollow points loaded to 1.140".  After the third time and having a crap ton of unburnt powder in the gun, I gave up.  

My decision is now made about ordering hollow points for this gun.  

17 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Got out today for some further chrono work.  Unfortunately all did not go well.  I had loaded up some 124gr Montana Gold HPs over 7.8gr of HS-6.  These were seated down to 1.110" and will not feed.  Had them lock up the gun and when getting the slide open the bullet stuck in the rifling.  I had some issues the day befor with some PD hollow points loaded to 1.140".  After the third time and having a crap ton of unburnt powder in the gun, I gave up.  

My decision is now made about ordering hollow points for this gun.  

Sounds like you need to ream the throat out some

Little more data:

15 rounds over the chrono 1333.9 average with a 15.4 std dev for a PF of 165.4.  
Load is 7.8gr HS-6 with 124gr Precision Delta RN loaded to 1.150" with a CCI SP Magnum primer.

Are you going to run this thing at Chili? I'd love to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Developed some more data today.  Got a pleasant surprise with CFE Pistol.

All these are loaded with Fed SPM primers, Precision Delta 124gr RN bullets, 1.165" OAL and CFE Pistol.  Shot through my V12 barrel.  All are 5 shot averages over chrono.  Haven't tested for accuracy.

6.5gr-165.2PF

6.7gr-168.6PF

6.9gr-174.4PF

7.1gr-177.3PF

7.3gr-180.8PF

I definately noticed the jump in velocity between the 6.7gr and 6.9gr loads.  Didn't notice an excessive amount of smoke and the loads seemed quieter than the HS-6 I have been loading.  Loading these up I wasn't sure that I would make major at these powder weights.  I am pleasantly surprised and am going to load up more working around the 6.8gr mark to start testing accuracy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gun was sold to me, I don't know exactly when I'm gonna start working up loads yet, I have some time and weather's not the greatest but I'm gonna take aandabooks advice and start with CFE pistol with 124gr bullets and see how that feels and go from there. I've also heard a little bit about trying 115gr bullets maybe ill try that also time will tell, but I'll keep you updated as I go along. 

3 hours ago, sean_stw said:

Gun was sold to me, I don't know exactly when I'm gonna start working up loads yet, I have some time and weather's not the greatest but I'm gonna take aandabooks advice and start with CFE pistol with 124gr bullets and see how that feels and go from there. I've also heard a little bit about trying 115gr bullets maybe ill try that also time will tell, but I'll keep you updated as I go along. 

Awesome.  Im interested your findings. Iam very patiently waiting for my GT.

I have a friend who just picked up a 9mm GT and I'll be helping develop some loads, it's been a long time since I owned a V12 and I've learned a lot since then so I'll be trying some unorthodox stuff.  My go to load for 9 major is 9.4gr of SP2 under a 115, but I don't think a V12 GT can make major with 115s and SP2 (similar to 3N38) so I'll be trying faster powders like WAC, CFE, Silhouette under 115s and slower powders under 124s and even 135s.

3 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I have a friend who just picked up a 9mm GT and I'll be helping develop some loads, it's been a long time since I owned a V12 and I've learned a lot since then so I'll be trying some unorthodox stuff.  My go to load for 9 major is 9.4gr of SP2 under a 115, but I don't think a V12 GT can make major with 115s and SP2 (similar to 3N38) so I'll be trying faster powders like WAC, CFE, Silhouette under 115s and slower powders under 124s and even 135s.

Yes keep us posted John.

7.8 silhouette with a 124 was a recommended load from several good local open shooters from their 2011’s. In my Tanfo (non-GT) it made over 180 PF. May not hurt to try it on the V12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Apolo said:

Awesome.  Im interested your findings. Iam very patiently waiting for my GT.

I also have an idea for a different comp setup but that might take a while to get done, so for the time being I'm gonna be concentrating on load development on the v12 barrel.