Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major PF with Tanfo Gold Team 9mm

Ck867

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started with the unported spare barrel in a Stock II slide and made this custom:
1027141321a_zpsb7a17a2d.thumb.jpg.6ac2992f7621281e28f63eecfb977f45.jpg

It worked slightly better than the V12 and took less powder to make major.

The trouble is that the tiny comp doesn't give you much to work with.  Eric Guaffel sells the factory three port which works better:  https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/compensators/95-gold-custom-eric-compensator.html#

you'd need a plan 6" barrel:  https://eaacorp.com/gun_accessories/index.php/parts/tanfoglio/witness/barrels/6-match-grade-barrel-9mm-302331.html

and t he threads are M15X0.75, the dies can be found on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-tap-M15-0-75-1pcs-die-M15-0-75-M15-right-hand-/302286101033?hash=item4661a7da29:g:v5QAAOSw~CFY8bgX

If you're going to do all this work, you can save some money starting with a 9mm Limited rather than a Gold Team, this Limited-based custom worked out pretty well for me:
_20151107_092416_zps0uvx3wkv.thumb.JPG.14870d2ca10a87e322cc3dfc49f19096.JPG

@kneelingatlas thanks for the info but that is just a lot of work to have a tanfo open gun. I've had the gold team just sitting in the safe as a safe queen so I was curious what others are doing with them. Perhaps I should just treat it as a steel challenge type of gun.

2 hours ago, aandabooks said:

What is the shipping time for Grauffel stuff?  I might want to order his optic mount and comp.

7-10 days. Tracking stops at the ocean, but the parts always came quick.

3 hours ago, Ck867 said:

@kneelingatlas thanks for the info but that is just a lot of work to have a tanfo open gun. I've had the gold team just sitting in the safe as a safe queen so I was curious what others are doing with them. Perhaps I should just treat it as a steel challenge type of gun.

I really enjoyed mine with 9gr slow powder under a 100gr bullet :devil:

16 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I started with the unported spare barrel in a Stock II slide and made this custom:
1027141321a_zpsb7a17a2d.thumb.jpg.6ac2992f7621281e28f63eecfb977f45.jpg

It worked slightly better than the V12 and took less powder to make major.

The trouble is that the tiny comp doesn't give you much to work with.  Eric Guaffel sells the factory three port which works better:  https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/compensators/95-gold-custom-eric-compensator.html#

you'd need a plan 6" barrel:  https://eaacorp.com/gun_accessories/index.php/parts/tanfoglio/witness/barrels/6-match-grade-barrel-9mm-302331.html

and t he threads are M15X0.75, the dies can be found on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-tap-M15-0-75-1pcs-die-M15-0-75-M15-right-hand-/302286101033?hash=item4661a7da29:g:v5QAAOSw~CFY8bgX

If you're going to do all this work, you can save some money starting with a 9mm Limited rather than a Gold Team, this Limited-based custom worked out pretty well for me:
_20151107_092416_zps0uvx3wkv.thumb.JPG.14870d2ca10a87e322cc3dfc49f19096.JPG

I am glad you pointed out the shortcomings of that hybrid comp.  Was unsure what one to get for my custom build.

1 hour ago, aandabooks said:

I have one of these on the way.  What powder were you using?

I use SP2, which is a Noble Sport powder not currently available in the US, but it's interchangeable with 3N38 (just a little more dense); I've packed as much as 10gr under a 100gr bullet in a 9x19 case!  9gr of HS6 does a similar job.

35 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I use SP2, which is a Noble Sport powder not currently available in the US, but it's interchangeable with 3N38 (just a little more dense); I've packed as much as 10gr under a 100gr bullet in a 9x19 case!  9gr of HS6 does a similar job.

Use the 100gr because it is a short bullet to leave case capacity?  What bullet manufacturer?  Have to get it going around 1700 FPS to have a little margin.

15 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Forgot about that.  I'm thinking about trying 124gr first.

Just out of curiosity will a Tanfo 6" .38 SC barrel drop into one of these guns?  If getting to major proves problematic.

I should have started this conversation by saying you can certainly make major with a 9mm V12 Gold Team (I have), it's just not the flattest, not the softest, and barrels tend to wear a little faster than those with fewer ports.  I just barely made major with 8.3gr of HS-6 under a plated 124gr bullet at 1.140" and that was the end of my V12 experimenting, I had a 135gr load with HS-6 which shot pretty well, although a little bouncy.

If you decide the V12 barrel is not for you, 38 is not your last resort, a 9mm barrel with four or less holes will make major no problem.  The 6" barrels need some modification before they will fit in the front of the slide, but it's not too bad.

5 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I should have started this conversation by saying you can certainly make major with a 9mm V12 Gold Team (I have), it's just not the flattest, not the softest, and barrels tend to wear a little faster than those with fewer ports.  I just barely made major with 8.3gr of HS-6 under a plated 124gr bullet at 1.140" and that was the end of my V12 experimenting, I had a 135gr load with HS-6 which shot pretty well, although a little bouncy.

If you decide the V12 barrel is not for you, 38 is not your last resort, a 9mm barrel with four or less holes will make major no problem.  The 6" barrels need some modification before they will fit in the front of the slide, but it's not too bad.

That makes me a little less nervous.  I've been trying to stay away from .38SC due to brass cost.  Since I'm spending so much anyway tonight maybe just order a barrel now and have it on hand.

Is Autocomp an option?  I use it to load .40 for an open top end.  I've seen where 3N38 has been discussed.

49 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

That makes me a little less nervous.  I've been trying to stay away from .38SC due to brass cost.  Since I'm spending so much anyway tonight maybe just order a barrel now and have it on hand.

Is Autocomp an option?  I use it to load .40 for an open top end.  I've seen where 3N38 has been discussed.

Autocomp would certainly work, it just runs a little higher pressure at the same PF than the slower powders.

10 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

Acme holds their coating. Turned a couple buddies onto them too. No issues out of their open platforms either. Not that it needs it, but you can run a spray shot of Pam in/on the comp if you're worried about it. 

Code "54730" will get 10% off at acme.

On 8/24/2017 at 4:52 PM, aandabooks said:

Are these guns good with hollow points or do FMJ run best?  I'm looking at getting a couple of cases from MG or PD and don't want to buy a batch that the gun won't like.

To the OP, dId you get a non ported barrel?

Yes. It's standard to come with a ported and non ported barrel.