Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I don't think it's the sear spring..1912 help

nikdanja

My 1911 was having hammer follow so long story short I bought a new wolf dear spring. Dropped it in and cycled the slide as fast as I could to see if that was the problem. 

The hammer still followed the slide and now I'm wondering if it's the hammer and sear that's the issue. 

I had had a cheap trigger job done a couple years ago and I'm wondering if the parts just wore out. I don't shoot it that much and have it because I'm American. 

Do do you guys think it's the hammer and sear?  It's a kimber custom 2 with stock trigger parts besides the wolf spring I just put in. 

29 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

My 1911 was having hammer follow so long story short I bought a new wolf dear spring. Dropped it in and cycled the slide as fast as I could to see if that was the problem. 

The hammer still followed the slide and now I'm wondering if it's the hammer and sear that's the issue. 

I had had a cheap trigger job done a couple years ago and I'm wondering if the parts just wore out. I don't shoot it that much and have it because I'm American. 

Do do you guys think it's the hammer and sear?  It's a kimber custom 2 with stock trigger parts besides the wolf spring I just put in. 

I think you're on the right track.

A test for a good sear can be done by starting with the slide locked back, and then dropping the slide while holding the trigger. The sear is good if the hammer does not fall.

42 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I think you're on the right track.

A test for a good sear can be done by starting with the slide locked back, and then dropping the slide while holding the trigger. The sear is good if the hammer does not fall.

That's exactly what I was doing and the hammer was falling when I was testing the reset. 

4 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

That's exactly what I was doing and the hammer was falling when I was testing the reset. 

Then I think it's time it went to a good gunsmith for an overhaul, or you fixing it if you're confident in doing the work yourself.

Look on the bright-side. Now is a golden opportunity to get that clean, crisp, 2  1/4 to 2  1/2 pound trigger pull. :)

It is most likely the hammer hooks.  Sears are hard.  Mim'd hammers are not.  If your sear is good, buy a good billet or barstock hammer (EGW) and have it fitted.  That way you will not have to mess with the thumb safety.  If the sear is bad, replace it and the hammer with good stuff.  You may have to refit the thumb safety with a new sear.  Taking more off is easy.  If there isn't enough, it can be peened or welded, then refit.