Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does dry fire really help?

JokerBravo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CrashDodson said:

@MemphisMechanic I did the same thing.  Changed up my reloads after a recommendation, this was after 10's of thousands of reload reps.  Most frustrating thing I have done in a long time, but it was for the better.  

I have a problem keeping my gun high during reloads.

When I dry fire at a slower rate, I can keep the gun high because I'm concentrating on it...  But, when I speed up, I start to revert to my old ways of lowering the gun when I reload...  How do I force myself to keep the gun up high?

I had to slow things down when I changed up my reload.  

The burkett/just the tip drill can help, its where you have the gun extended out and on the beep press your release and bring the mag just to the edge of the mag well.  Its good to break down the components of a skill when trying to work through issues.

For me I bring the gun straight back and point the magwell at the pouch.  The front sight stays inline with eye level.  Im right handed so I can see the right edge of the magwell and thats what I am looking to.   Some production/SS guys bring their elbow in and anchor it to their side.  I prefer to just bring the gun straight back and angle the magwell towards the pouch.  

It took me 1000's of reps to change to my current reload style and get the sub 1 second reload back.  Many cuss words and many mags flying across the garage.  

I have the same problem with my reloads.  I notice that I always lower the gun instead of keeping it in my face.  It is a really bad nasty habit that I'm still trying to break. I like the idea of breaking it down.  I've slowed my reloads and made sure everything is very deliberate, but under speed I notice that the silly thing isn't where I want it . 

You are going to have to burn in keeping the gun high in your subconscious before you can really press the speed.  When you let your subconscious take over when trying to go fast you are reverting back because thats what you trained yourself to do.  

Edited by CrashDodson

It takes quite a few repetitions to change what you do under pressure.

A couple of weeks before a Match, I decided to change the way I reload my revolver, and did a couple of hundred repetitions. For the first two stages, I reloaded the old way....

51 minutes ago, Wesquire said:

They both said they don't.

I dont believe that!  Even if they don't now they did or had to live fire in place of dry fire.  Which most people can't afford to do.  The point is, practice!

3 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I dont believe that!  Even if they don't now they did or had to live fire in place of dry fire.  Which most people can't afford to do.  The point is, practice!

I think they both shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds per year.

11 hours ago, perttime said:

It takes quite a few repetitions to change what you do under pressure.

In my case, changes in dry fire practice need to be followed up in live fire practice.  Otherwise during a match I revert to the old ways.  But then I'm that proverbial "old dog" that don't want to learn new tricks.

I've been shooting PCC since February so a lot has changed for me.  But since I'm starting as a carbine "noobie", from all those years shooting open I now know to some extent what is good and what is bad and try to avoid developing bad habits in the first place.

22 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

I had to slow things down when I changed up my reload.  

The burkett/just the tip drill can help, its where you have the gun extended out and on the beep press your release and bring the mag just to the edge of the mag well.  Its good to break down the components of a skill when trying to work through issues.

For me I bring the gun straight back and point the magwell at the pouch.  The front sight stays inline with eye level.  Im right handed so I can see the right edge of the magwell and thats what I am looking to.   Some production/SS guys bring their elbow in and anchor it to their side.  I prefer to just bring the gun straight back and angle the magwell towards the pouch.  

It took me 1000's of reps to change to my current reload style and get the sub 1 second reload back.  Many cuss words and many mags flying across the garage.  

Good tip on the Burkett drill...  I have his DVD's but it's been years since I watched them...  I will try bringing the mag right up to the magwell, but not inserting it...  My problem is when I insert the mag with the gun up...  Sometimes the mag doesn't go in the grip and I fumble it...  I don't practice much in live fire...  I dry fire and shoot matches...  Sounds like I should maybe up my live practice a bit.

How do you time your sub 1 second reloads?  Do you aim the gun and reload when you hear the beep...  Set the par time to 1 second?

Thanks for the tips!

I have found when I fumble its generally when trying to press out the gun before the mag is inserted far enough.  When its smooth it should feel like the gun sucked up the mag.  Re--obtaining the support hand grip is very important.  If you have done a bunch of draw work you will instantly know if your grip is just millimeters off by the way it feels.  I find using grip lotion really helps with this.  

For me the burkett drill helps me re-focus my attention on the mag well if I start missing reloads when pushing speed.  

The gun is aimed at the target and reload when you hear the beep or bring the mag to the edge of the magwell depending on what drill your doing.  Par time at whatever your trying to achieve.  The gun should be back on target with sights aligned at the par beep if your doing a full reload.  For me the key to making 1 second or faster is a quick reaction to the beep.  Snapping the hand down to the mag as fast as possible and looking at the mag well until the mag is inserted.  I recently switched mag pouches and sliced my support hand thumb pretty good this morning doing reloads.  Most of the time I dont drop a mag from the gun when doing reload drills but its good to do it occasionally to make sure your getting a good press on the mag release. 

If you know how to setup your timer with multiple par times you can do a drill where you do the burkett, with a pause and then finish the reload at the sound of the second par.  This really breaks the reload down to its parts.  You can also just practice snapping the hand to the mag on the beep to work on the reaction time if thats where you feel you may be losing time.    

On 8/25/2017 at 11:19 AM, Cuz said:

Does anyone have a list of specific dry fire drills that work for them? Laid out in a 15-45 minute practice routine?

Thanks,
- Cuz

On my Store / Books page, sorted by popularity, the second book you'll see is, Refinement and Repetition, Dry Fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement, by Steve Anderson.

On 8/30/2017 at 5:10 PM, CrashDodson said:

I have found when I fumble its generally when trying to press out the gun before the mag is inserted far enough.  When its smooth it should feel like the gun sucked up the mag.  Re--obtaining the support hand grip is very important.  If you have done a bunch of draw work you will instantly know if your grip is just millimeters off by the way it feels.  I find using grip lotion really helps with this.  

For me the burkett drill helps me re-focus my attention on the mag well if I start missing reloads when pushing speed.  

The gun is aimed at the target and reload when you hear the beep or bring the mag to the edge of the magwell depending on what drill your doing.  Par time at whatever your trying to achieve.  The gun should be back on target with sights aligned at the par beep if your doing a full reload.  For me the key to making 1 second or faster is a quick reaction to the beep.  Snapping the hand down to the mag as fast as possible and looking at the mag well until the mag is inserted.  I recently switched mag pouches and sliced my support hand thumb pretty good this morning doing reloads.  Most of the time I dont drop a mag from the gun when doing reload drills but its good to do it occasionally to make sure your getting a good press on the mag release. 

If you know how to setup your timer with multiple par times you can do a drill where you do the burkett, with a pause and then finish the reload at the sound of the second par.  This really breaks the reload down to its parts.  You can also just practice snapping the hand to the mag on the beep to work on the reaction time if thats where you feel you may be losing time.    

My reactions to the beep aren't as fast as I would like...  I tried slapping the timer from a hands-over-shoulders stance and averaged .41 seconds...  That's faster than I could grab a gun, because I'm just slapping the timer.

I dry fire to a couple of classifiers...  Tick Toc (13-05) because I can just grap my gun, two mags and a timer, plus it requires an unloaded table start and reload...  Ironsides (03-12) because it requires hard, low leans...  and El Presidente (99-11) because it has a surrender draw and reload...

On 8/30/2017 at 7:16 PM, benos said:

On my Store / Books page, sorted by popularity, the second book you'll see is, Refinement and Repetition, Dry Fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement, by Steve Anderson.

Thanks Brian.  After downloading the sample pages and trying them I was hooked.  I just ordered the book.

-Cuz.