Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading technique: grabbing mag under cover

Quirk

Watching Bob Vogel reload is a bit intimidating, but I noticed something on a few videos. With concealment he appears to be swatting the cover back with his left hand and grabbing the mag from above.  Most others it seems, move the hand more horizontal, from midline to the mag, inside the cover.

I practiced his technique a few hundred times. Haven't done it live in a match yet. So so much muscle memory to overcome, and I hesitate to change now, with a sanctioned match coming up....But, what I noticed was I was more reliably grabbing the mag properly and in good control. My times were about the same, using a timer par setting.

Anyone use this technique? Comments?

Q

Here is me from today. Start at 0:49 to see me do two slide lock reloads close together. I can't tell if I'm a flapper,  or an inside sweeper or a combo of both.

https://www.facebook.com/1777905451/videos/10203937713201358/

Just do whatever you can do most rapidly and most consistently. The vest is just in the way, so clear it however you wish.

I use my thumb to slide the vest back and then grab the mag.  I don't think it matters how I do it though.  You stated your times were even and one method was more consistent for you.  I would choose the more consistent way.  It's only going to get better with practice.

19 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Here is me from today. Start at 0:49 to see me do two slide lock reloads close together. I can't tell if I'm a flapper,  or an inside sweeper or a combo of both.

https://www.facebook.com/1777905451/videos/10203937713201358/

Just do whatever you can do most rapidly and most consistently. The vest is just in the way, so clear it however you wish.

Rowdy, thanks for the link but I can't access that video....but it did prompt me to login to facebook for the first time in 2 years....!

Q