Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Pro Chucker 5

Just got my Pro Chucker in today, was setting it up and had the luck of getting the old style primer system, and both that came with it broke before I even had the press fully set up. I called and they're shipping me some of the new ones for free, but does anyone have this press and have suggestions of how to make sure these new ones fare better? Any other tips or tricks for this press (don't say return it and get a Dillon)?

The most coverage Ive seen for issues with this press are on AR15.com in the reloading forum.  Lets just say most people are less than enthusiastic for the issues this press has.  The only thing I have seen is that the redesigned slides are more durable, but be sure you have more than a single extra spare.

My take on it is that RCBS had a chance to clean sheet design a modern progressive press taking the best parts of alot of different designs, and sell something that was really good.  I am in the market for a new progressive, and the PC 7 was on the list, key word being was. 

Maybe I'm stupid but I find it impossible to believe that just one company can make a quality press. I'm sure every brand has a nuance, so just trying to make the best of what I can. If it continues to have issues maybe I'll try a different brand, but was just looking for anyone with experience in this platform to share some knowledge is all. 

3 hours ago, Djp55 said:

Maybe I'm stupid but I find it impossible to believe that just one company can make a quality press. I'm sure every brand has a nuance, so just trying to make the best of what I can. If it continues to have issues maybe I'll try a different brand, but was just looking for anyone with experience in this platform to share some knowledge is all. 

Since this forum is Dillon heavy with one or two LNL's in the mix this probably won't get much traction. I would try googling and see what comes up elsewhere.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:47 AM, Djp55 said:

21 hours ago, Sarge said:

Since this forum is Dillon heavy with one or two LNL's in the mix this probably won't get much traction. I would try googling and see what comes up elsewhere.

Id be one of those guys.  Ive run my LnL over 60k rounds now and other than the case feeder, Id put money on it that works just as well as a 650.  For some things its better, for some its worse.  That being said, I will probably buy a 650 as I want some of the capabilities on that press that my LnL wont do, namely on press swaging with a SwagIt.  I dont have a problem with having red and blue on my bench.  Buy what you want.  Every press has its little gotchas.  

That's the way I look at it too.  I could be a smart arse and say, well if Dillon was so perfect, then why are there so many threads in the Dillon Reloading section asking for fixes to problems?  LOL  But I'm not going to go there.  I have a Hornady LnL AP as well and it works fine for what I do and I could afford it.  That's what mattered to me.  Does that mean I won't ever move up to a Dillon?  Nope.  It doesn't.  But that also doesn't mean I won't have my LnL forever too.  Sometimes you just gotta try things out for yourself and go from there.  That doesn't mean Dillon isn't top notch and there isn't a reason to get them.  But that also, to me, doesn't mean you should or, as most people try to say, HAVE to stay away from the others and ONLY get a Dillon either.  To each their own.  As Kaldor stated...every manufacturer has its quirks on their models and their benefits for what each user needs.  It's whatever works for ya.  You might work on your RCBS for a while and find out it isn't for you and move up to something else, but what I'm saying is don't be afraid to look around at everything when you look, you could be surprised at what you find. :) 

Edited by R1_Demon