Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Shorts

Malarkey

I'm in the market for two new pairs of shorts specifically for shooting and I want to see if there is anything out there that stands out. Please do not tell me about your 5.11 or True spec shorts, but if you know of something that is extremely underrated, or completely innovative I would love to hear about it.

26 minutes ago, Malarkey said:

I'm in the market for two new pairs of shorts specifically for shooting and I want to see if there is anything out there that stands out. Please do not tell me about your 5.11 or True spec shorts, but if you know of something that is extremely underrated, or completely innovative I would love to hear about it.

Try kuhl. They are pretty awesome from what I hear. Katz has a few of them and so does some of the other guys we shoot with. 

Under armor is great. I am a 5.11 tactical guy. I had a couple pairs of off brand from sportsman warehouse here in town and they were great and cheap. Copies of the 5.11 and under armor mixed. Can't remember brand but they are at the store. Went to buy some more last week but didn't have my sizes. They go pretty quick when they have them. 

I looked hard at Kuhl shorts, but I couldn't justify the price.  I also looked hard at LAPG, but I hate how long all their shorts are.

In the end, I settled on these for summertime and love them:  https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2361267/mens-chaps-golf-cargo-shorts.jsp?color=Crawford Tan&prdPV=1

They're stretchy, aren't too bulky or long, and the black color doesn't show butt sweat.

For fall, winter and spring, I wear these:  http://amzn.to/2fRj9FT  because they're zip off, slightly stretchy, and the shorts aren't really long like most zip-off pants.  When you deal with 25-30 degree temperature swings between the beginning and end of a match, zip off pants are great.

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Cut off a couple of pairs of old Levis to the length you like, cheap and comfortable.  

And write your name on a wife beater and you are all set! :)

By all means get shorts with "sponsor" names all over them. It will make you shoot faster. Twice as a fast as having just a shirt loaded with advertisements for shooting stuff you probably pay full price for anyway.