Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady lnl powder drop

Anyone have trouble with the powder tube coming off the powder drop. I've had it happen twice now leaving me with a huge mess of powder all over the place. Not to mention a waste of powder which I don't think I can reuse due to the contaminates swept up in it while cleaning. Thoroughly pissed off right now.

I intentionally broke the adhesive seal so I could get it off.

From then on, I intentionally used two strips of masking tape to keep it on.

It makes cleaning out a lot easier when you remove the hopper from the powder measure.

I wrapped clear packing tape around the tube to tighten it up when putting it in.  That way I can still get it apart to clean it if need be.  And yes, I had the tube pop off when it was about 1/2 full of TG.  What a mess...

I haven't had that happen to me...yet.  I just made sure that when I took it off the first time to clean it, that I made sure to "screw" it down in and make sure it was totally seated.  I haven't touched it since.  As someone mentioned, I use a used dryer sheet to clean it between power changes to keep the static from keeping the old powder in there.  And when it is empty, I normally keep a used dryer sheet in there.  It hasn't caused any issues thus far.  I just take the dryer sheet out when I'm getting ready to reload and once I'm done with my charges/reloading, I put empty the powder back into the bottle and put the dryer sheet back in and it reduces the static again in the tube. :) 

There was a discussion on one of the Hornady Facebook groups about this.  I guess the plastic really shrinks up over time with certain powders like TiteGroup which of course is one of our favorites.

My replacement screws in and being aluminum and Pyrex, doesn't react to the powder.

hornady.jpg

Edited by warpspeed

2 minutes ago, warpspeed said:

There was a discussion on one of the Hornady Facebook groups about this.  I guess the plastic really shrinks up over time with certain powders like TiteGroup which of course is one of our favorites.

My replacement screws in and being aluminum and Pyrex, doesn't react to the powder.

hornady.jpg

OH damn...that is cool...where did you get that from?!  You don't have to modify the original powder drop though, do you?  Does it just screw in tight and you're done?  If so, I might have to look into this even though mine is brand new and doesn't have to be replaced yet, but it won't hurt to get this and have it on hand for future use.  It looks like it has threads on it and screws into the base of the powder drop (sorry, duhhh...reread it and you said it screws in).  That would make it soooo much easier to clean each time and I'm all about making it easier. :) 

Just now, R1_Demon said:

OH damn...that is cool...where did you get that from?!  You don't have to modify the original powder drop though, do you?  Does it just screw in tight and you're done?  If so, I might have to look into this even though mine is brand new and doesn't have to be replaced yet, but it won't hurt to get this and have it on hand for future use.  It looks like it has threads on it and screws into the base of the powder drop (sorry, duhhh...reread it and you said it screws in).  That would make it soooo much easier to clean each time and I'm all about making it easier. :) 

I make them.  I also make them for the Dillon measures. 

Some discussion and what not can be found in my dealer forum and can be ordered  at wardlance.com 

5 minutes ago, warpspeed said:

I make them.  I also make them for the Dillon measures. 

Some discussion and what not can be found in my dealer forum and can be ordered  at wardlance.com 

Well hot damn...if I would open my eyes, I would have seen at the bottom your Dealer Forum here.  LOL!  Sorry about that man.  Cool.  I'll definitely check it out.  I appreciate it.  I have a Hornady LnL, so I'll look this up and grab one when I have some extra cash.  I saved the link to your Forum here and your other website for ordering, so I can grab one when I have a chance to.  I appreciate the info and the work on this. :) 

When I got started with my LNL I kept powder in it for... uh... excessive time.  The chemical reaction with the powder not only stained the plastic but shrunk it.  As a chemist I should have know better.  That being said, you should really not keep powder in the plastic tube between reloading sessions.  I will keep it say over a week while pulling a few every night but no longer (even if it is a pain).  I do not care about the tube, but if the tube is breaking down then the powder inside it is also...

Down the road I will pick up a pyrex tube, but I am emptying my 650 on a regular basis so the tube is still good

• 2 weeks later...