Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST users anyone? (9mm Prod)

balmo

2 hours ago, balmo said:

I was surprised when I popped the WST open; powders' gray! Powder's fluffy and light compared to TG. Loaded 4.6gr on Blue Bullets 147gr at 1.135"COL. I'll post my chrono results later.

Yup, greyish green. Your 3.6gr (???) load should be plenty for a coated projectile, you may have to pull it back. The Ruger SR9/9E barrel's fairly short and I was using a thick plated projectile which loads closer to FMJ.

I can't wait to see your result.

Edited by 4n2t0

Opps! My bad, I meant 3.6gr.

I was quite surprised that the WST load I brought was pleasantly soft (130pf). In fact, it was softer than the other loads I brought; Titegroup @ 3.1 and 3.2 (w/ Berrys 147gr) at the same COL. Granted, the TG loads were around 135/140pf respectively). Accuracy? It was accurate enough at 10 yards. I think I got good load coming along with WST.

5 hours ago, balmo said:

Opps! My bad, I meant 3.6gr.

I was quite surprised that the WST load I brought was pleasantly soft (130pf). In fact, it was softer than the other loads I brought; Titegroup @ 3.1 and 3.2 (w/ Berrys 147gr) at the same COL. Granted, the TG loads were around 135/140pf respectively). Accuracy? It was accurate enough at 10 yards. I think I got good load coming along with WST.

You made 130 PF, good for you! Doesn't it feel great to get it perfect first time out?

I really like the way my WST load feels/shoots plus, as previously mentioned, it's slightly cleaner than my other 9mm powders (WSF/Titegroup). Although all three powders are more than accurate for my purposes I've never been able to find a powder more accurate (in my hands) than WSF in 9mm when loading to minimal PF.

Edited by 4n2t0

• 3 weeks later...

I have used WST exclusively in 9mm and .38 Super with 125gr cast and 158gr cast. Clean load with lead (though kinda hard to gage as have of what I shot was suppressed) and personally like the recoil impulse. Makes power factor in my SBR, a few different Glock 17s and the occasional CZ. More than accurate enough for our sport - not sure I would try Bianchi with it but I would ICORE. I fact, regularly shot 8 shot groups through my 627-4 at 50 yards that measured 2.5"-3" with a SD of 11fps.

It is inverse sensitive but I would think if you are making 133pf at 50 degrees you should make pf everywhere in the US sans Death Valley. I would be more worried about going the other way where you make 130 PF at 90 degrees and shoot near freezing.

Lee

This is my second season using  3.4 WST with 147 Ibeji FP 1.130 oal   CCI primers, 8/23/17 out of my 5" R/O at 78deg 878 fps 40 es 16 sd . stock spring cycles well, soft shooting, very accurate, fills case well, good supply in my area. Chrono  slightly faster out of XDM 5.25. This set up has worked well for me. The same day also tested 3.9 Power pistol with 147 ibeji at 1.130 pleasantly surprised with 910 fps  22es   9sd out of R/O, very soft shooting, seems very accurate  cycles well will test more.

On 19/08/2017 at 2:08 AM, balmo said:

I was surprised when I popped the WST open; powders' gray! Powder's fluffy and light compared to TG. Loaded 4.6gr on Blue Bullets 147gr at 1.135"COL. I'll post my chrono results later.

That is going to be a new and expensively disappointing experience ! Too hot.

On 9/4/2017 at 11:19 PM, RevolverJockey said:

It is inverse sensitive but I would think if you are making 133pf at 50 degrees you should make pf everywhere in the US sans Death Valley. I would be more worried about going the other way where you make 130 PF at 90 degrees and shoot near freezing.

Lee

Actually it's better for those of us in the South. I get to chrono it at it's slowest, when temperatures are around 100 all summer long. It's harder for us to find a cold day, which doesn't matter since my 133pf loads will only climb to 134-135 if I head up north in the fall to shoot a major match.

Edited by MemphisMechanic