Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Colt of Short Colt brass for USPSA in 627

jripper

I'm interested in shooting revolver again.  I used to shoot revolvers back at the turn of the last century, when USPSA started revolver and you couldn't shoot more than 6 rounds without reloading, and 625 was king.  So, I see it's now all 8 shot revolver minor, and talk of short colt vs. long colt, vs. super, vs. 9mm.  I am in the process of purchasing a 627 and do not want to bore it for 9mm, so what brass do I load.  Short colt is shorter, but long colt = less pressure.  What are people using and why?  Thanks

Everything is a compromise.  If your gun groups short colt and you are good with the pressure of your load, go for it and reap the slight benefit over long colt.  If you are not so fortunate with your gun, or, would like a little cushion on the pressure, do what many did in the early years of ICORE 8 shot and go with long colt. 

My hand/reloading speed did not notice the difference between long and short colt.  I just pocketed the easier ejection with long colt and called it good

My solution to the same questions is to cut my 38 special or 38 LC down to .900. (38 super length) Great compromise. Low pressures, good velocity, very accurate. I have been shooting 147gr 9mm coated bullets (.3565) over 4.0gr Win 231. I get 123PF in my 6" gun.  Slightly less in the 327, (5") but, who cares for steel? YMMV...

Happy shooting!

34 minutes ago, Distant Thunder said:

Alec, what's your recipe for long colts (if it isn't classified ... or even if it is)?

Starline 38 Long Colt

.358 160 grain Ibejihead coated lead bullet

3.2 grains of Clays

1.37" oal

If it's worth anything, I've used the same Starline 38 short Colt (1K) loaded with Power Pistol and I have reloaded the same cases over 8 times. None of them have split or bulged. I did buy another 1K, just in case.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

38 SC for me

I was using the 160 BBI but ran out and have been using the Xtreme 158 lately. Both seem to be accurate in my 627 with Starline brass and Hearthco clips.

I worked up loads for both bullets using both Hp-38 and Bullseye but can't recall the specs. I know PF was 132 for the BBI and 129 for the Xtreme. Never had sticky ejection on any of mine.

I use short colts with 147 Xtremes ... (the .357 ones) ... Loaded at 1.16 w/ 3.8grs Unique makes 130pf easy. 

Nice pointed bullet (no matter what the length of your brass) ... w/ short colt ... any standard 147/9mm load works. 

http://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-147-RN-357-p/xc9mm-357-147rn-b0500.htm (buy 'em when they are on sale).

Sometimes use 147 (150gr) blue bullets too ... (not quite as pointy) ...

599b900abd23f_xtreme147.jpg.3a8af913f6af226739931f44ed976624.jpg

edit: I went to short colts when I changed to a weak hand reload cause the specials (when dumping the cylinder) were hanging up on the cylinder release. 

Never tried the long colts ... guess they would have solved the problem too. Using the short colt let me use standard 9mm reloading data.

Edited by pete627