Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mantis X, thoughts?

Tacticalpanda

Has anyone used mantis-x? I used to be a good handgun shooter now I'm a decent handgun shooter at most due ti predominantly shooting rifles now.  Looking to build back my skills and was curious if anyone has used this and if it helped or is worth the money

• 2 weeks later...

I just recieved it in the mail a day ago.  So far havn't done to much with it.  the packaging is great, comes in a nice pelican box.  I've been using it for dry fire right now to test it out.  I have the adapter for the bottom of the mag so I can use it in my holster.  it doesn't pick up to great on that part but it picks up good on the rail.  I'm taking it out to the range on Monday for some life fire testing.  I'll get back next week after range day.  So far on the dry fire, i can see some potential with it, just can't give an honest opinion yet.  Not enough time with it.  

I bought one (actually two, one for me, one for my youngest son) awhile back.

It won't tell you if the sights are properly aligned with the target - only tells you if you move the gun at trigger pull due to trigger finger technique or changing finger/grip pressure on the frame at time of trigger pull.

Flinching, jerking, pulling/pushing, etc. all show up.

It will, sometimes, record a thumb cocking movement as a trigger pull when dry firing (which will really screw up a nice average for a five shot group if you don't realize you pulled the trigger 5 times and it shows 6 times.  You can delete the wrong recording if you catch it in time.

I actually started a spread sheet on my laptop to see if there are changes long term from using it.

I have not, yet, used it for live fire.  Dry fire only.

Wow ... talk about an easy mark ... :( Watched a few videos ... got sucked in ... I should stay away from here and lock my credit card in a gun safe ... sigh ...

Anyhow ... I ordered one earlier today ... and ... one of the youtube video reviews I watched had a "free shipping" code at the end (TNGUN) ...

I used the code and it worked fine.

Edit: My MantisX is due to be delivered (the day "after") tomorrow (Saturday) ... really looking forward to getting this thing!! :)

Edited by pete627

Been using one for a week now. Works pretty well, and is helping me with detecting movement and monitoring stability. I haven't tried it with live fire, just dry so far. I like the different test modes, so I can drill both accuracy and speed.

Only negatives I see so far are that it attaches to rail, so I can't do drawing drills, and sometimes when I rack, it thinks that is a shot and records wild data. It appears to happen when I have the muzzle pointed downward. If I keep it pointing straight ahead, it doesn't seem to false trigger.  When I drill, I like the tests where they have you do 10 shots, so I don't want one with bogus results, as it makes it harder to track success.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys like this better than the LASRApp ??  I'm tempted to get on or the other, but haven't yet.  I like that the LASRapp lets you create your own dry fire range with almost anything, plus I already have a SIRT pistol.  I'm not sure which is more beneficial, recording actual shot placement..... or perceived movement at trigger pull???

recording shot placement is outcome based. recording trigger pull influence on sights is action based.

if you have a good trigger press the the bullet hole will appear where you want it to. i'd focus on what you're doing at the trigger over where the laser is hitting.

Well this looks really cool.  I wonder if this would have some value for our sport, or if I'm better off just focusing on learning to call my shots.  I've thought about running a dot on my Walther Q5 to help with this and learn more about my gun movement and trigger pull, even though I don't have any interest in open division.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:59 AM, M1A4ME said:

I actually started a spread sheet on my laptop to see if there are changes long term from using it.

Did you observe a long term change?

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 12:49 PM, B585 said:

Did you observe a long term change?

I haven't used it in awhile.  Got sidetracked and sort of forgot about it.

The two pistols I used it on (P01 and P07) both averaged in the mid to high 90's for me from the start to when I got sidetracked.

I need to start up with it again, especially with the cooler weather coming on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This has been a great supplement to my normal dryfire practice, has revealed many poor trigger and grip habits I have. At least for someone who is only moderately experienced, there is a lot of value in the device and app. I did have some issues though with the device detecting a hammer strike when I would rack the slide. This is a problem that was sporadic and quite annoying when it happened. The company wasn't able to provide much support, so I just ignored it. Still happy overall, do wish it was a little cheaper. I think I paid close to $175 for mine  12 months ago.

I bought one a while back. Did the dryfire thing with it some. Was picking up me racking the slide sometimes (like mentioned above). I'd have "scores" of 12 and such mixed in with the 88's. Tried it live fire on a P-07 before it got cold outside. Apparently I have a REAL problem with breaking my wrist down....as that's all it said I was doing wrong over about 40 shots....no matter how hard I tried to keep my wrist straight. I even took a few shots with my wrist angled up purposely to see what it said. If you're real new I think it's worth it. If you can consistently put holes in the X ring during practice I don't think it's going to tell you much.  Not to mention it hanging off the front of the gun means any holster practice is out. 

Edited by k80clay

• 2 weeks later...

I see the one mention here about mounting the device on the bottom of the magazine.  How many of you guys have tried that and how many have had good or bad experiences? 

I'm interested for myself but also from a firearms instructor point of view.  These might really help illustrate to a poor shooter exactly what he (or she) is doing that is otherwise completely masked by recoil, etc.  If I could mount one of these to a magazine baseplate it should be easier to switch the device from one shooter to the next, etc as well as allow for holster use. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still happy with mine but thought I'd report a new issue -- the application isn't working on my new phone, having an issue installing it due to some authentication issue. Not sure if this is on MantisX's end or something to do with the Google App play store. I've tried everything and can't get the app working. I'll provide an update if I figure it out. Thanks.