Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open rifle optics 2-10 or 3-15

barrysuperhawk

I don't run open much at all, since I never have had the equipment for it, and when I did it was usually me running tac-ops gear with an open pistol. 

Now I have an open pistol, and a mag fed shotgun, so I am considering re-configuring a rifle with a bigger comp and actually using the wings on this RAMP mount to mount a dot.  

My question is about optics.  It seems that most of the advice I have seen on here trends to advocate for a lower top end and lower magnification range.  This had me looking at scopes from 2-7x to 2.5-10x.  

Then I noticed that for a few dollars more, vortex makes a fine looking 3-15x ffp that would seem to make the rifle more versatile yet, while covering the same basic range as the 2-10 only with the ability to go to 11...

So, without using the word "need", why wouldn't I want to choose the 3-15?

Weight.

A 2-7 or 3-9 is going to be a lot lighter than a 2-10 or 3-15.  I set up my Open rifle with a 1-8 and no side dot, saving me 5 ounces or so, but getting better glass as well.  Then I slapped a green laser on it and that covered some bases both systems missed.

I'd stay with a 1-6x or 1-8x quality optic and run a dot offset. Then depending on the stage you can have it all. If you have all hoser put it on 1x and let it rip. Some hoser and then long range crank it up on the variable and hose with the offset red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another consideration would be the reticle and specifically the illumination on the higher magnification optics.  You can easily find a 1-4/6/8 with a single illuminated center dot (Leupold MK6, Razor 1-6, Kahles 1-6, etc.), but most higher magnified optics illuminate more of the reticle, which I don't really want when shooting closer targets, the single dot is faster for me.  Personal opinion only, but I like the single center dot, and a 1-6 or 1-8 gives me that.

Open Class I've been using the Vortex 2.5-10 pst rfp and ffp since it first came out I've never needed more than 10 power.  Typically 7-8 on stages with targets spread out. 

Today though if I were on a budget and needed a scope for doing 3-gun and PRS type shooting or varminting, the 3-15 would be a better choice as long as the turrets are not in the way on my red dot.

Nick

I have a 2-10 light weight hunter from Vortex. 2 power at 50 yard plate racks is perfect for me after testing with a Razor 1-6. More or less than that and I had slower times. Depending on the match you shoot you may or may not see a lot of 50 yd steel. 

At 10x I had to come out of the scope to ensure I didn't skip a target at Rocky mountain. Watched a lot of squad mates ask which target they had left, and didn't want to be that guy. Not sure if I will leave it on there for next year or not. Very few times did I really want to go to 10x but had to because that is where the scope is calibrated.

Since the 3-15 is FFP then you have less problems, but the reticle may not be optimal at the zoom most used. You will have to try it out yourself and see if it will work for you.

Edited by ziebart

Right now On my open rifle I'm running a vortex 1-6. I wish the reticle was a little finer. (I have the 1st gen model)  For 3 gun I think that it's adequate for shots 2-300 yards, but if you're shooting farther I'd say 1-8 and no more than a 10X, as others have said weight is a factor.  Also when I am hunting or doing some long distance shooting I rarely take my scope above 12X except to spots holes in paper or on steel.  If I had to choose only one optic for ME to hunt with and use for 3 gun it'd be a 2-10, and nothing higher.  If you're just using it for 3 gun I'd be looking for a 1-8.