Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight picture to the right

chenault

I have a problem, and it has to be with my grip or where I'm applying pressure, where my sight is just slightly tilted the right when I bring it up to the target.  I quickly correct the offset, but that's costing me time.  What causes this and what do I need to work on to correct it? 

3 hours ago, chenault said:

I have a problem, and it has to be with my grip or where I'm applying pressure, where my sight is just slightly tilted the right when I bring it up to the target.  I quickly correct the offset, but that's costing me time.  What causes this and what do I need to work on to correct it? 

I fought this for a little while with my single stack.  Except mine was pointing slightly left.  I worked extensively on the draw, specifically the grip and how my holster was set up so I was initializing my grip slightly further around.  Worked on it hard until got it right and made it natural with a drill I saw online by Travis Haley.  10 slow draws with a trigger break at, not before 10 seconds working on every little aspect.  Then 10 at 9 seconds.  10 at 8, 10 at 7, 10 at 6, 10 at 5, 10 at 4, 10 at 3, 10 at 2, 10 at 1.  Then go down in .01 increments until the wheels fall off, training to failure.  I start and finish every dry fire session with this drill and it got me perfectly on target with trigger break down to .08 seconds. I can now assume a shooting stance and draw to an A at 7-10 yards with my eyes closed.  I have no doubt others have great advice too, this helped me with the offset POA as well as other parts of my draw and presentation..

Edited by Hammer002

I'll try this.  What Worries me is that it's an old right shoulder injury that doesn't allow my right shoulder as much movement as my left.  It's not a drastic difference but I'm wondering if that could be it

I have a similar problem but with the front sight just slightly to the left. I determined it is because I am RH but left eye dominant. I move the muzzle a bit over to the left, towards my dominant left eye. If my shots are a bit off to the left, it is virtually always due to this and not trigger jerk. Like Hammer, I correct it with grip adjustment and presentation.

10 hours ago, chenault said:

I'll try this.  What Worries me is that it's an old right shoulder injury that doesn't allow my right shoulder as much movement as my left.  It's not a drastic difference but I'm wondering if that could be it

I'm no expert, but I would say the correction is in the grip, having little to do w the shoulders.  Although I will say the above mentioned drill is a very good shoulder work out too, so know yourself and only push so far as to what is helping, not so far to cause further issue.

5 hours ago, lgh said:

I have a similar problem but with the front sight just slightly to the left. I determined it is because I am RH but left eye dominant. I move the muzzle a bit over to the left, towards my dominant left eye. If my shots are a bit off to the left, it is virtually always due to this and not trigger jerk. Like Hammer, I correct it with grip adjustment and presentation.

Everyone can establish a natural point of aim, some of us have to work at it more and some of it can differ by gun. Seeing the sight misaligned can be fixed with draw practice, no matter which eye is dominant.  Personally, I spend a lot of dry fire time with this because I feel if I can't present the gun consistently where it needs to be, nothing else matters.  I have had to basically start over now having moved into the PCC world.  Shots to the left can certainly be misaligned presentation, but also recoil anticipation squeezing and pushing caused by too little of the finger pad on trigger.  All of which can be addressed with good practice.  Sight alignment can also be adjusted by foot placement, the only issue there is, if shooting competition, we rarely get to establish good stances.

I would agree that its your grip.  Probably firing hand but check your support hand as well.  Pushing too much with your support hand thumb can cause this as well (if you do that).

Also, what sights are you running?  I ran Warren sights for a bit but they have such a wide rear notch that its easy to drift the front sight to one side or another.  Switching to sights that offer the smallest difference between front sight width and rear notch width will help when shooting at long distances.  Just a thought.  It worked for me.

I'm using the stock cz shadow sights.

So in playing with it it seems to be the lower fingers of my shooting hand and the thumb of my support hand.  It's taking some practice to correct that issue.  

In the end a lot of shooting is feel for me and if I focus on pointing my thumbs at the target, squeezing hard with my support hand and squeezing with primarily my pointer and middle finger with my shooting hand the problem becomes a lot better

Yeah, a lot of grip is individual. Some guys have big mitts and shoot a 1911. Some have small mitts and shoot a Glock. Some of us have eye or vision issues. Outside of the basic principles, it takes some trial and error to find what works for any single person. Good thing it is fun working through it all.

• 1 month later...

How's it going? I've been using a similar drill to what hammer mentioned but it starts at 5 secs, then drops in tenths once you reach optimum performance. Key is to make sure every detail is correct and lock that into your brain.