Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 minor Tanfo

kujo929

Anyone have opinions on 40 minor out of a Tanfo? Been using 180 with clays but considering moving to 165 to speed up slide cycle. Is it even worth messing with? Current load was 137PF at sectional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

Thanks. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, what was your load with clays with 180s?  I am using TG with 165s BBIs and my Tanfog loves it. 

Been shooting 180s for about 3 years now. Shot some 165s a while back and settled back on the 180s because I'm a sissy. 

I need to redevelop a load though, I'm at about 139 pf. Thinking of switching to clays or clay dot, I have a bunch and my n320 stash is dwindling

When I first started shooting production two years ago I tried both 165s and 180s. Not a big difference but I liked the 165s a little better and they are cheaper so that's what I've been shooting. Usually around 136 to 138 PF.

26 minutes ago, TDH said:

When I first started shooting production two years ago I tried both 165s and 180s. Not a big difference but I liked the 165s a little better and they are cheaper so that's what I've been shooting. Usually around 136 to 138 PF.

What powder are you using?

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Leohe8888 said:

What is different about 9mm and 40S&W minor ?

For several years a 9mm Tanfo was impossible to find in the USA, because the company that imports them is... not so great. So guys like @waktasz bought 40s to shoot in Production.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

9 hours ago, Leohe8888 said:

What is different about 9mm and 40S&W minor ?

My feeeelings are the 40 minor can be made to shoot softer than 9mm minor.

115gr minor is harsher than 147gr minor because at the same PF, heavier bullets with less powder have less felt recoil.  now keep the same PF and increase bullet weight to 180, 200 or 220. 

I shot 220gr 40sw minor for a 1000 rounds or so. It's 22lr soft.  but bulges the case due to the bullet being soooooo long. 40sw also cost up to 2x 9mm when using heavy bullets.

I use 135gr 9mm at 132-134PF. Cheap, accurate and soft.  easy to get .18 splits in a bill drill.  ymmv.

16 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Y'all are killing me.  My buddy let me borrow his .40 s&w S2. I may need to try some minor loads. I've shot it with factory ammo and it's a tack driver. 

Mine has been a tack driver with 165s and wst

49 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Y'all are killing me.  My buddy let me borrow his .40 s&w S2. I may need to try some minor loads. I've shot it with factory ammo and it's a tack driver. 

Think about how your match scores, split times, and reloads won’t be any faster than they are with a CZ or a Glock. Its just $1,500 thrown away to outfit the gun and a rig. Again. You’ll just sell it. Again. And again.

Like @johnbu said: sure it shoots soft and that feels neat, but it doesn’t actually mean anything to your scores. Name a nationals that was won with 40 minor. You can’t, because gear doesn’t win matches. Practice does. And those guys like the idea of practicing with thousands of rounds of cheap 9mm ammo a year.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

29 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Think about how your match scores, split times, and reloads won’t be any faster than they are with a CZ or a Glock. Its just $1,500 thrown away to outfit the gun and a rig. Again. You’ll just sell it. Again. And again.

Like @johnbu said: sure it shoots soft and that feels neat, but it doesn’t actually mean anything to your scores. Name a nationals that was won with 40 minor. You can’t, because gear doesn’t win matches. Practice does. And those guys like the idea of practicing with thousands of rounds of cheap 9mm ammo a year.

You and your logic!

12 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

To win you need a gun that works, and lots of practice. Glocks, Walthers, Tanfogooglios, it’s all good.

Stop switching in search of something that doesn’t exist.

I'm just trying to see which one I like best. To a fault. I really do believe it's not the gear. But......... A person should pick the one they like the best.  That's where I've overly complicated it. I guess that's what doesn't exist?  One that you like the best. For me at least. I like different things about them all. 

I honestly don't think it was that big a deal for me to have kept switching this year. I decided to switch the night before my second USPSA match ever. Which was a classifier. I made M. I did it again a week before OK state IDPA. I won the division even though I shot like crap (caugh IDPA caugh).

Now,  It would be stupid for me to keep switching. 

Edited by B_RAD

16 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

You and your logic!

It’s pretty sound. 

2 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I'm just trying to see which one I like best. To a fault. I really do believe it's not the gear. But......... A person should pick the one they like the best.  That's where I've overly complicated it. I guess that's what doesn't exist?  One that you like the best. For me at least. I like different things about them all. 

J~ you have a major case of FOMO. Lol. I think you’re a pretty good shooter right out of the gate.  Think where you might have been with just a year under your belt if you wasn’t such harlot. Hahah just teasing ya. 

12 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

It’s pretty sound. 

J~ you have a major case of FOMO. Lol. I think you’re a pretty good shooter right out of the gate.  Think where you might have been with just a year under your belt if you wasn’t such harlot. Hahah just teasing ya. 

Ha ha. Yeah. Maybe a GM.  Maybe. I'd rather be an M that beats GM'S vs the other way around. 

Though, I could have spent that time working on field courses......the goal is to shoot to the GM level. Not just be a GM. 

I'm really hoping the Shadow 2  feels more like the Stock 2 when it comes to the trigger. The Shadow 1 feels a little cramped. Even with the VZ palm swells. Hoping the larger grip front to back, puts the trigger further forward. If not, I guess I'll just get over it. 

Edited by B_RAD