Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PVC wall frames

MJinPA

We're planning to build some new walls for our match and wanted to get feedback from anyone that has used PVC pipe wall frames. Current inventory is made with 2x4s. They work great and are durable but are heavier and take up more storage space than PVC. For those that have used PVC, I'm wondering if you think the trade off is worth it?

We use 2x4 stands with 1x2 & 2x2 framing reinforced with plywood at the corners. Holds up pretty well and the large bits are not real heavy. Walls do get shot. For that reason, we don't use metal. I doubt PVC would hold up very long with setup and tear down stresses and getting shot ;)

• 7 months later...

One method I saw that seemed interesting was having wall sections separate than end pieces. 2x4's with bases as ends with j-hooks, then wall sections with eyelets to hang on the end pieces.

Little more work for initial build, but then replacing wall legs is much simpler since you don't have to create a whole new piece

• 4 months later...
On 8/22/2018 at 9:35 PM, cjsmith223 said:

isn't there a rule that the walls have to support a shooter leaning on it? Seems like PVC wouldn't do that. I could be way off, but thought someone told me that once. 

2.2.3 Barriers – Must be constructed in the following manner:
2.2.3.1 They must be high enough and strong enough to serve the intended purpose.

I've been to several matches that used PVC, it's ok, until it gets shot, then it's a 10-20 minute headache most times. They are definitely nice for moving and storing.

Liberal use of no shoots can minimize the likely hood of it being shot.

Another option is having a few wooden framed walls around to use in areas it is foreseen that competitors may shoot very close to them.

2x3 or 2x2 wood frames are a better option if you can store them.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this is a necro post but, I made 52 walls for my club using 8' 2x2 (2 per wall),4" security netting for the walls and a ball bungee to hold the wall together when rolled up.  The walls with a window opening are 2 strips of netting with the opening in the middle.

In the ends of the top rail is a 1/8" x 4" eyes and in the ends of the bottom rail is an eye.

The uprights are 2x2's with #10x3" screwed in one end.  The upright support is dictated by the range floor.

The bottom picture show 33 walls in the crib.

GIfgQzr.jpg

gfRe8Wm.jpg

Edited by RePete

3 hours ago, RePete said:

I know this is a necro post but, I made 52 walls for my club using 8' 2x2 (2 per wall),4" security netting for the walls and a ball bungee to hold the wall together when rolled up.  The walls with a window opening are 2 strips of netting with the opening in the middle.

In the ends of the top rail is a 1/8" x 4" eyes and in the ends of the bottom rail is an eye.

The uprights are 2x2's with #10x3" screwed in one end.  The upright support is dictated by the range floor.

The bottom picture show 33 walls in the crib.

I love the idea of walls that break down and roll up to save on storage space, but I’m having a hard time visualizing how these go together. Do you have more pictures?

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the range and got into the seacan, after using the tractor to scoop away the snow.

Here is the method of hanging the wall to the upright.

The small eye is use to zip tie the bottom part of the wall to the upright.

You can use the upright to hold 3 or 4 wall ends.

xOURm6W.jpg

On 8/14/2017 at 9:23 PM, StuckinMS said:

Use old metal conduit or metal tubing.  PVC is light and easy, but is no good when shot.  And that can stall match flow dead in its tracks.  

At least plastic pipe doesn't send ricochets all over the place when hit......SMH

• 4 months later...