Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock ejection hitting optic

Stickman301

Ive done a bunch of searches on here and on google and couldn't really find an answer.  There are tons of "try this" examples but nothing that resolved the issue.

Running a glock 34 MOS with Vortex Razor optic, 11lb spring, S3F barrel, and 274 ejector.  Loading to minor power factor.  I cannot resolve the issue with brass hitting the optic.  Has anyone found a solution to fixing this?  Extended ejector? Apex extractor?

Have you tried a different weight recoil spring? That will change the way brass ejects. 

A .40 ejector will also change ejection. I've used 9mm slides on .40 frames with the .40 ejector and never had an issue with it. I don't know if that'll help your issue, but it will change how brass ejects so might help.

1 hour ago, Southpaw said:

Have you tried a different weight recoil spring? That will change the way brass ejects. 

A .40 ejector will also change ejection. I've used 9mm slides on .40 frames with the .40 ejector and never had an issue with it. I don't know if that'll help your issue, but it will change how brass ejects so might help.

Ive tried 11, 13, 15.  With all of those the brass ejection is still week and towards the rear.  11 seems to be the only spring that will not have any short strokes.  

2 hours ago, Southpaw said:

If your slide isn't fully cycling with a 13 or 15lb spring it sounds like there's something else wrong with your gun besides just the angle the brass is ejecting. What happens if you use the factory barrel?

It would cycle with those springs but would short-stroke once in awhile. Never had any problems besides that with those springs.  I will test with the stock barrel.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Is this problem only with one magazine?

My TruBor had a similar problem - I tried everything - finally realized it

happened only with one mag - changed mag - problem solved   :) 

That could be a possibility.  But even with the other recoil springs the ejection was weak and would still hit the optic.  The brass can't come out of the gun fast enough before the slide returns forward and the optic hits it.  It doesn't appear to be hitting the bottom of the ejection port of the way out.

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue with a totally stock g17 gen 3 fitted with an egw dovetail mount and a vortex venom optic.

the brass is hitting the optic housing hard enough to cause small divots. Brass is also hitting the glass however with nil damage so far. I haven't changed anything because I'm using the gun for ipsc production optics so can't change too much. I may however try a different ejector and see if that helps. I think there is another thread that recommends a gen 4 ejector. 

3 hours ago, scubajosh77 said:

The Apex extractor will solve this problem.

How different are the Apex extractors for gen 3 and gen 4?  I tried an apex extractor i had for a gen 3 and it helped but not much.  Wondering if i get one specifically for a gen 4 if that would make a bigger difference.

UPDATE:  Installed Apex extractor.  Helped but still hitting.  Put stock barrel in the gun.  Helped as well but still getting brass hitting the optic.  It got worse as the day went on.  Both of these really helped but it didn't completely fix the issue.  Also, the brass that made it past the optic is all at the 3 o'clock but 2 feet from where I stood.  Im thinking it needs an extended ejector or something along those lines.

3 hours ago, Stickman301 said:

UPDATE:  Installed Apex extractor.  Helped but still hitting.  Put stock barrel in the gun.  Helped as well but still getting brass hitting the optic.  It got worse as the day went on.  Both of these really helped but it didn't completely fix the issue.  Also, the brass that made it past the optic is all at the 3 o'clock but 2 feet from where I stood.  Im thinking it needs an extended ejector or something along those lines.

2 feet?  On an 11lb recoil spring....Dude, add some powder to the loads man... 

Man go buy some off the shelf ammo, tell us where that ejects....  Yea it will actually make a difference.

My regular G34 (all stock) likes to throw brass in my face when I run loads that are to soft.  

Extractor isn't going to do anything, honestly that was probably a waste of money.  Unless you just really hate MiM parts for some reason.

You could play with extractor spring tension and have some effect but I don't think thats your issue.  You would have other problems if your extractor tension was to weak or to strong.

If you need to change your ejection pattern, general rule of thumb is look at the ejector.... Aside from stepping up on powder which I'd gamble will actually resolve your issue, is either changing where the ejector contacts the brass by tuning the ejector or changing the brass which probably won't help as much as tuning the ejector.

Don't waste money on an extended ejector, if anyone even makes one, I'm not spending time to google it. All an extended ejector does is start ejection sooner, and then you can have a whole new world of problems.  Like not being able to get unfired rounds out of the chamber, lol.

3.1gr Titegroup @1.15 with 147gr RMR plated (using up the last of this load)

2.8gr Clays @1.15 with same bullet (regular load)

I believe you gentlemen are correct.  I shot some Freedom Munition 124gr and it ejects without catching the optic.  I think I need to find a new powder.  I hate TG and don't want to buy anymore of it.  I don't know how much I would increase the Clays without getting close to high pressures with that powder.

Glock is very aware of this issue!!

They have had my Glock 40 MOS since Dec. 2016 for this issue and say a fix may be 6 months to one year away. Same issue with other model 40's they had to test. I was told it is not ammo related (power factor).

I believe the real issue here is when the Optic companies start to refuse warranty claims because of this issue.

Video some Glock GEN 4 guns with stock sights and watch the brass bounce off the rear sight:rolleyes:

This also seems to now be a problem with Sigs and M&P.

Tom

On 8/21/2017 at 6:23 PM, 9146gt said:

Glock is very aware of this issue!!

They have had my Glock 40 MOS since Dec. 2016 for this issue and say a fix may be 6 months to one year away. Same issue with other model 40's they had to test. I was told it is not ammo related (power factor).

I believe the real issue here is when the Optic companies start to refuse warranty claims because of this issue.

Video some Glock GEN 4 guns with stock sights and watch the brass bounce off the rear sight:rolleyes:

This also seems to now be a problem with Sigs and M&P.

Tom

Cough Cough.....     I think someone needs a bar of soap in their pocket....