Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Mag Issue

Baudiod

Hey guys and gals,

I have a mag issue I need some advice on. I bought a used STI executive 2011.40 it came with 2 old style SVI tubes and Dawson bases .I then switched the plastic stock grip with a xtreme shooters DVC style grip that's Gray. I then bought four Brazsos tuned magazines and so far they have been running great. I don't use the old SVI tubes because the trigger pull is really hard. Today while practicing one of the Brazos mags started messing up. Again a hard trigger pull. 

Will tubes change dimension over time? Is that simply and overtravel stop issue? Has anyone else experienced an exceptionally hard trigger pull with different mags? Could my grip be warping? 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Could you measure the width of the magazines and compare? I don't believe overtravel would be an issue as the mag release should be between the back of the trigger and front of the mag. You may try gradually forcing the magazine sides in if they are indeed rubbing (mark w/ a sharpie and insert and pull trigger some to see where it's rubbing).

FWIW I'd get a second opinion as I've only built one 2011.

I had trouble with a mag like this once before. All I could figure was I shoot a indoor single stage match once a week  and I dropped a nearly full mag on the concrete floor so I could finish the rest of the stage with no worries of a mag change and after that mag change I had a problem with that particular mag. I compared it's width to my other mags and it had bulges right where the trigger bow slides back and was hitting the mag just as the trigger was trying to break. All I could do was get some fine sand paper and a flat surface and sand it down to get rid of the bulge until the trigger bow stopped making contact.

2 hours ago, darkvibe said:

Back off the overtravel adjustment screw and try.

Agreed. I think it's related to the trigger stirrup.

Take the top of the gun off and see if anything is impeding the insertion, or release, of the magazine. Try each one separately.

Like blaze..., I've learned not to drop full mags.  I now carry a 1-round mag and two older 20 round mags with heavy Dawson base pads on them.  When I have a Virginia Count Classifier that requires a mandatory mag change (or two)  I use those mags.  If I have to drop in dust, water or mud, I use those mags.  My MBX mags only get dropped when near empty and on relatively clean surfaces, especially the big sticks..

Update.

Without the benefit of a caliper. I did measure the magazines and they appear to be similar. Between the ones that work  and the ones that have a hard trigger pull.

.Also, I pulled the top and off the gun and there doesn't appear to be anything hitting or sitting differently in the gun. 

I also backed the overtravel screw out and there appears to be no difference. 

A friend of mine had a suggestion that maybe the Grip was loose. It isn't 

I am going to take this to Red Dot Shooting and have GM David Pruitt take a look at it. 

Thank you for all of your replies. I will post an update when I get it back.

14 hours ago, Baudiod said:

Update.

Without the benefit of a caliper. I did measure the magazines and they appear to be similar. Between the ones that work  and the ones that have a hard trigger pull.

If you have a 1911/2011, you need to have a caliper. You need exact measurements, appearing to be similar is not exact enough. It only takes a few thousands of an inch to make a difference, too small of a difference for a tape measure. You can get digital calipers for much less than the cost of a magazine.