Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beaver tail dimension ? Ed Brown...

Broncman

I got an Ed Brown memory groove for my 2011 open build.

So loose I can throw a cat through it!  Supposed to be a gunsmith fit. Took my Wilson combat out of my other 1911 and it fits nice.

The Ed Brown is .611 at the wide part that goes in the frame and .300 wide at the pivot. Pistol is .620 and .312. 

It is a CK frame. The pin holes for the safety appears to be way oversize.

I want the high grip type like the Ed Brown instead of the Wilson Combat.

What should I order? This Ed Brown has a lot of flashing and looks very poorly finished.

Ok, after a lot of searching, there are 2 Ed Brown Memory grooves....

One is a cast cheapo, and the other is machined from stock. Still no dimensions on the machined one.

It's going back. Getting an EGW. They list all the dimensions and looks like a great fit with enough material to blend it right.

I've long since given up on Ed Brown parts.  You cannot go wrong with an EGW part.  However, they are usually big, so you have to take a lot of material off.  Call them and ask if they know which GS will be better for a CK frame.  If the CK frame is sized like an STI frame, you are much better off with the JEM GS.  You will have to take very little off to blend to the frame.  The regular EGW GS is sized to fit any frame, so there is more material to remove to blend.

One other note.  The JEM safety has the STI style bar.  The bar on the standard GS is much beefier.