Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help, my AR is feeding two rounds???

igolfat8

I was at a 3 gun match today. My first three runs were flawless with my S&W Sport (1) AR. It's run flawless for two years until my fourth run today when two live rounds tried to feed into the chamber simultaneously. I lost the round due to the malfunction. Then my next round, same thing. First round fired fine and then when I pulled the trigger it felt like mush so I Manually cycled the bolt and it jammed two rounds again. The rifle was just cleaned today and the mags were cleaned today before the match. Any clue what is going on? Could it be a gas tube problem, Magazine problem or a buffer problem? I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting?

1) Check you are using GOOD ammo. Not reloads. Not Wolf/Tula/Silver Dragon etc.

2) Check your extractor and ejector are clean, lubed and free-moving.

3) Get a known-good magazine (a brand new PMAG if you have one).

4) Load ONE round, fire it and verify that the bolt locks open. Repeat 5 times.

If the bolt is locking open reliably, then the rifle is cycling properly. If it is not cycling properly, check your carrier key (they can shake loose), gas rings, and check for any evidence of a loose gas block or gas tube (looseness, gross gas leaking etc.). If the rifle does not cycle with good ammo and magazines, and assuming it is still in factory configuration, I would send it back to S&W and make them fix it... the warranty is the main reason you pay a premium for a factory rifle.

Sudden feeding issues on a previously reliable gun are usually cycling, magazine or ammo related.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Like said above I would try a brand new mag and see if that fixes it, I've switched to the Lancer AWM mags with really good results. Also do what Stealthy said and make sure you are running good factory ammo, no reloads or steel case so you eliminate that from the equation. After that I would look into cycling issues like a worm down buffer spring or carbon I the gas system, gas rings, etc

most likely mag problem. Does the back of your P-mag have a single groove or two short ones for the dust cover to clip to. Check this area for a hairline crack, especially if its the older single groove. The crack would be from the top of the magazine running down towards the groove. If no crack the feedlips may be worn. You may have to try to spread the feedlips while looking at this area to see a crack. sometimes its very hard to see if it has one.

Edited by mpeltier

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it out. I had recently replaced the trigger with a Hyperfire 24C. When I grip the handle too lightly then the short trigger reset combined with recoil makes it go into a double feed or bump fire type operation. I was able to duplicate the issue easily once I figured it out. I guess I have to grip the AR like a pistol now. Who'd thunk it? 

I guess this isn't a unique problem because I found the answer on Hyperfire's website's troubleshooting section.

Edited by igolfat8

4 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

I figured it out. I had recently replaced the trigger with a Hyperfire 24C. When I grip the handle too lightly then the short trigger reset combined with recoil makes it go into a double feed or bump fire type operation. I was able to duplicate the issue easily once I figured it out. I guess I have to grip the AR like a pistol now. Who'd thunk it? 

I guess this isn't a unique problem because I found the answer on Hyperfire's website's troubleshooting section.

Your gun should feed and run when it bump fires.....  AR's don't have "limp wristing" issues...... Its not a polyframed short barrel semi-auto handgun.  You should be able to float that thing upside down off your pinky while drinking a tuna salad sunday smoothy on the angry biting pony ride at the fair.... and it still run.

My vote, toss that one mag....  Pmags are great, but like everything they do eventually break.  Double feed in an AR, 99.7354671 to the cagilianth % of the time is a mag issue.  Use a different mag, tell us if you have the same problem.  

On 8/23/2017 at 11:38 PM, lee blackman said:

Your gun should feed and run when it bump fires.....  AR's don't have "limp wristing" issues...... Its not a polyframed short barrel semi-auto handgun.  You should be able to float that thing upside down off your pinky while drinking a tuna salad sunday smoothy on the angry biting pony ride at the fair.... and it still run.

My vote, toss that one mag....  Pmags are great, but like everything they do eventually break.  Double feed in an AR, 99.7354671 to the cagilianth % of the time is a mag issue.  Use a different mag, tell us if you have the same problem.  

Funniest thing I've heard all day.  I wasn't sure what to think when I read the trigger was causing double feeds.  Kinda made my brain hurt a little.  I agree with the others that have said a magazine issue.  I've only had the opposite problem with rounds not feeding.  I changed bullet style and forgot to change seating depth.  Rounds loaded into the the mag fine but hung up coming out.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, lee blackman said:

absolutely correct.  first thing to suspect is the mag.  not all ammo is loaded to consistency.  I would bet dollars to donuts it is the mag.

• 1 month later...

Update,

I found this on YouTube and it described my problem to a T.  

I always (AGRESSIVELY) inserted a full magazine into the mag well with the bolt open, dropped the bolt with the bolt release then fired the weapon. I tried this same method with 3 brand new Magpul mags and the double feed problem would always repeat itself. First chambered round fired, second squeeze of the trigger was mush and nothing happened and when I opened the bolt two live rounds were jammed.

Next I inserted all three of the same full mags into the rifle GENTLY, followed by a slight downward tug to ensure the mag was seated, released the bolt with the bolt release and fired the weapon and it worked fine with NO jams.

Long story short, I was causing the issues by the aggressive manner I slammed the magazine in the weapon. DUH... Flame away, I learned a lesson the long way that I will not likely repeat.

I’d love to roast you, but I have a pmag floating around somewhere that I had inserted so hard a number of times that I mangled the leading edge of the over-insertion stop thingy.  My first time shooting a rifle in competition I had the lovely, embarrassing experience of the mag falling out with the first round going off, then I over-compensated for a while.  I learned the value of locking the bolt back before inserting the mag quickly, but it took longer to learn that with the bolt locked back I couldn’t go Mongo on it, especially with polymer mags.