Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching to the off-eye

RickT

I'm right-handed, right eye dominant, but due to some vision problems in my right eye I've had to switch eyes shooting SC.  I fought to keep using the right eye for 2-3 months trying different colored lenses and sight fibers, but it was a loosing battle.

Initially I had a great deal of trouble just getting the gun aligned with my left eye and target.  I'm an old guy and a high C, but my draw was pretty darn consistent so I was really fighting this problem.  Tried tape over the glasses, but the tape was really, really annoying in bright sunlight and didn't mitigate my brain wanted to use the right eye.  I tried rotating my head, but the issue there is that when you're moving or rotating your brain really likes to have the head aligned with the shoulders.  What finally did the trick in addition to a lot of reps was pulling my right foot back a bit, that in combination with shutting off the right eye have provided a pretty reliable index.

As a direct result of the effort (and complaining to my wife) I have put into this change I've come to realize how slopping I had become prior to this problem.  I could be slopping with my support hand on the draw before the issue because drawing to my right eye was such a naturally POA.  Of course subsequent targets would suffer with a weak support hand.  I'm getting better sight pictures on transition targets than I ever achieved with my right eye.  Strange how things turn out.

At some point I'll have cataract surgery and might be able to shoot with my right eye, but I'm not sure I'll be going back.  The only stage I shoot differently now is Smoke & Hope since shooting left to right my nose gets in the way of acquiring targets 3 and 4 soon enough.

I hope this helps someone else in a similar situation.