Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines

AussieTactical

I have been offered some used 10 shot 9mm magazines at a good price, but not sure if its the best investment. The owner describes them as a generic 1911 magazine, and I asked him how reliable they were he said they were good. So I am a bit undecided on whether to take a risk on these or pay 3 or more times the price and buy brand name new magazines. If I buy the used ones and have any problems, is there anything I can do to tweek them to get them working better?

Buy them if no good sell them. Some mags work in some guns others won't. I have Tripp, metalform, checkmate 9rd and some of the cheap 10rd brownells ones all work in my STI. The Tripp seem to feel the best then the checkmate metalform and the brownells In  That order. But all function no feed problems at all loading the 10 can be hard and the odd time I drop a Tripp mag sometimes the next round has edged forward a bit but that's rare I tend to count my shots and drop after 9 

Mags are not an investment, they are a consumable....you can work on them if they don't work and there's no guarantee that a new name brand mag will work in your gun.  If they're in decent shape I'd buy them and use any that don't work as dry fire mags.

If I could get 10 round 9mm mags for 1/3 the price of "name brand" mags, provided they didn't look abused (though if they look well-used, they probably worked for the owner), I'd take the chance.

As stated, if they don't work (and they likely do, 9mm mags aren't that big an issue), you can use them for practice, dry-fire, fix or sell them to someone who may want to invest the time to make them work.

Or turn them into gun stands, for that price you probably can't lose.