Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advantages Limited vs Production?

JokerBravo

I am just curious what are the advantages or disadvantages between the two divisions?  I am just starting out and am leaning towards limited because you do not have to reload as much.

Cost. Production is cheaper unless you gotta have the newest, latest gun on the market. And, cheaper to shoot. If you shoot limited you need to be major PF which means .40 S&W. Production you just throw money away if you shoot other than 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So...it of course depends on your goals for shooting. Simply fun,  get more comfortable with your gun, then shooting limited minor ($ issue GeneBray mentioned), stuff your mags & shoot away. Scoring point penalty shooting minor is big, but do you car at first?   Production is fun...good challenge to figure out reloads, amd everyone is scored minor. And usually lower cost of entry...glock 34/M&P Pro/Walther PPQ etc. and gtg.  Splurge for a CZ or a Tanfo if plastic isn't your flavor. Just shoot. Better Limited major shooters have pretty sweet 2011s...but what do you want? Enjoy.

5 hours ago, JokerBravo said:

what are the advantages or disadvantages between the two divisions? 

No big ads or disads.   Just personal preference.

I always suggest you start with whichever gun you currently own and feel the most

comfortable with - and that gun will usually dictate whether you shoot Prod or Ltd    :)

All up to you.

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

No big ads or disads.   Just personal preference.

I always suggest you start with whichever gun you currently own and feel the most

comfortable with - and that gun will usually dictate whether you shoot Prod or Ltd    :)

All up to you.

+1 on this.

In most places these are the two most popular divisions with good reason. Most people start out in production because of the gun they already own. Like Jack said I'd shoot based on what you own and go from there.  

Here is a simple comparison on the two in my opinion.  

Production - Everyone is scored Minor. Gun modifications are kept to internal. Yes you reload more but you really learn to plan a stage, and lets face it unless you shoot PCC you will have to reload at some point. Cost is cheaper

Limited - Major vs Minor scoring, More gun modifications are allowed, More magazine capacity. You will have to only reload once per stage on most stages. Dominated by custom 2011's. 

I started out in production and shot that for a good 10 months before I moved to limited, then shot that for a full year. Now I shoot mostly open. I do shoot the other divisions for specific matches, but thats just me. 

I would shoot whatever one has the better shooters in your area,assuming your gear makes senses. 

Production you needs more mags and pouches but limited you need mag extensions, so cost of start up isn't that different. 

If your can't beat a production shooter with twice as many bullets in the mag, magwell, and major scoring it's because they are better than you. 

on a more serious note I recommend to enter limited your first few matches, even if you are shooting a 9mm with regular (15-17 round) magazines. its just less to think about and lets you learn the game, then once you see all the other shooters in the other divisions you will have a better idea what division interests you the most and what gear you may want to use.

Take my example: I haven't competed for some time. I signed up for a contest that is coming up on Sunday. Oh dear, what Division will I pick!

- the Glock will do for Production - and it works

- the revolver will do for Revolver - and it works

- I don't have enough magazines for the 1911 - and I haven't shot it since last year

-> I went for Revolver. Doing things the easy way is overrated.

15 hours ago, JokerBravo said:

I am just curious what are the advantages or disadvantages between the two divisions?  I am just starting out and am leaning towards limited because you do not have to reload as much.

What do you like shooting the most? 

If it's a Glock, CZ, Beretta... then Production makes sense and you'll enjoy it.

If the idea of a custom tuned dedicated wise body 1911 platform appeals to you... then begin playing in Limited.

Regardless, most Production guys shoot their first 2-3 matches in Limited minor so that they can get through the match with 3 mags and 2 mag pouches... then makes the switch to the 10rd division when they buy additional gear after the bug has bitten.

7 hours ago, Mikeski said:

Here is a simple comparison on the two in my opinion.  

Production - Everyone is scored Minor. Gun modifications are kept to internal. Yes you reload more but you really learn to plan a stage, and lets face it unless you shoot PCC you will have to reload at some point. Cost is cheaper

Limited - Major vs Minor scoring, More gun modifications are allowed, More magazine capacity. You will have to only reload once per stage on most stages. Dominated by custom 2011's. 

I

I think that's a good quick summary.  We often suggest new shooters go with limited in the beginning, even if their gear is production-type (like 9mm).  They can get away with fewer mags etc, and can learn the basics of negotiating a stage safely without the additional demands of multiple reloads and stage planning.

21 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

on a more serious note I recommend to enter limited your first few matches, even if you are shooting a 9mm with regular (15-17 round) magazines. its just less to think about and lets you learn the game, then once you see all the other shooters in the other divisions you will have a better idea what division interests you the most and what gear you may want to use.

This!

All good advice, get a match or two under you belt, then after your hooked shoot what makes you happy. I have an old limited gun and an old open gun, but I shoot a glock 19 in production, all though I did just pick up a g34, why? It's fun and a some point you have to learn mag changes and stage planning anyway.

Just starting out?
I would suggest a production legal gun, but shoot limited to start.
Reasons for production gun:
9mm is cheaper.
You can eventually move to production .
You aren't going to win the match, shooting minor wont change that.
Reasons for shooting in limited:
Less mental effort (planning) for reloads.
You aren't going to win anyway... shorting another division won't change that.

Have a CZ/Tanfo etc. start cocked and locked... you can always go hammer down if you move to production.

If you buy a limited gun, it will be more costly, and you will have fewer options if you find Limited isn't your thing.

You can also transition to L10 to get your reloads down before going to production.

Production is going to put a bit of an emphasis on a good trigger pull on that first shot... if you have a DA/SA gun, this IMO is harder to get great at than reloads are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used to shoot LIMITED however this year going back to production want to go back to the basics it is very easy to get bad habits with limited guns imo but honestly it is what you are most comfortable with and what makes the most sense to you I want to be a Master class shooter in both and I love limited guns however the more a shoot a production gun the more I like the simplicity 

I used to shoot LIMITED however this year going back to production want to go back to the basics it is very easy to get bad habits with limited guns imo but honestly it is what you are most comfortable with and what makes the most sense to you I want to be a Master class shooter in both and I love limited guns however the more a shoot a production gun the more I like the simplicity 

Good comment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are pros and cons for both.  I have shot production for the last two season but will be moving to limited for my next match.

Production:

Pros:

allows you to shoot IDPA with the same setup

the emphasis on hitting alphas hammers home accuracy 

forces you to become well rounded on all of the fundamentals of shooting 

cheaper

Cons:

harder to finish high in overall standings

alot to learn early in your shooting "career"

Limited (major):

pros:

drives home pure speed

easier to concentrate on the movement (because you can just move and not always reload and move at the same time)

easier to finish higher 

more hairs on fire fun ? 

Cons:

price of entry

Joker, if you already have a Production legal gun, but don't want to reload as often, consider Carry Optics.  With the new rules you can use 140mm mags, so you will have 22-23 in the mag.  That is more than the Limited 40 shooters can fit.  Plus you get to use a red dot.

If you don't already have a gun for USPSA, just buy the gun you like and shoot in whatever Division it fits in.

I usually advise new shooters to start off in a high capacity magazine division. First, its easier to break down stages and shoot difficult arrays of targets with more ammo in the magazine. Second, its easier to learn how to move efficiently and aggressively into and out of shooting positions when you are not dealing with a reload.

I see a LOT of low capacity division shooters who never really learn how to haul ass with their movement because they are too focused on dealing with a reload just about every time they move from one position to the next. Unfortunately, turtle slow movement from one position to the next is still slow regardless of getting an even slower reload done before arriving at the destination. Eliminate the reload and learn how to haul ass without needing to do a reload. Then add the reload into the mix and see if it reduces your movement time.  

Joker, 

Take Mike and Chalee's advise. Shoot limited initially. I might have missed it but I didn't see you gun & caliber. If your running limited minor, no big deal. Major PF is needed for being competitive once you get started, but initially, learn the game. A bonus to shooting minor is you will learn the importance of drilling alphas. I'm assuming your running a 9mm. 

Spend your  first few months getting acclimated to the environment, work on marksmanship, and observe. Top level limited guns are just as intricate as open guns. Make some friends, and see if some people will let you run a few rounds through their platforms. Basically before you spend any money, do your homework and think the decision over. 

About production class. The guys in there who finish high every week are bad. I mean bad a$$. Open & limited guns can help to cover flaws in a mid level shooter ( like me, why I shoot open ), but high level production guys have their stuff together. 

Limited / production - no big deal initially. You still have the same fundamentals you have in any class. 

• 2 weeks later...