Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this time good?

JokerBravo

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2017 at 9:17 PM, tattooo said:

If that is the fastest you can do that drill now with time and practice then it is fast. It dosent matter if someone else can do the same drill in 4 or 5 seconds only matters what your capable of.

Tattooo is right.  There will always be someone better, with continued practice that someone will be you.

Tattooo is right.  There will always be someone better, with continued practice that someone will be you.
Yep, just worry about what you can do not comparing to others. I practiced some live fire stuff yesterday and was shooting faster than I can shoot. Slowed it down and got my hits. You are correct that one day that someone could be him. Well said.

On 8/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, JokerBravo said:

Draw from duty holster, shoot two in one target, reload shoot two in another target, reload and shoot two in third target in under six seconds.

My par time for 4 Aces is 2.3 seconds at 7 yards. Adding a reload and 1 split makes it 3.45. This is roughly a GM level dry fire par time. 

• 2 weeks later...

From a duty holster and service pistol, I'd expect about a 1.5 draw, 0.2 splits, 1.3 reloads (assuming open top mag carrier), and maybe 0.3 transitions for a competent shooter. That would make for a 5.3 time depending on the distance of the targets relative to each other. I bet some extremely skilled guys can do it in sub 4.5.

Somebody let me know if I'm way off base here.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, AzNooB said:

From a duty holster and service pistol, I'd expect about a 1.5 draw, 0.2 splits, 1.3 reloads (assuming open top mag carrier), and maybe 0.3 transitions for a competent shooter. That would make for a 5.3 time depending on the distance of the targets relative to each other. I bet some extremely skilled guys can do it in sub 4.5.

Somebody let me know if I'm way off base here.

not offbase at all, I was thinking similar times;

1.5 draw and first shot +.25, 1.5 +.25, 1.5+.25 = 5.25 sec is what I would strive for at 7 yards and a duty gun with level 2 holster. add .1 for level 3 retention.

This is a reasonable 1.5 draw to A zone shot, reasonable reload time for an open top mag pouch with transition included, and reasonable splits.

Not saying this is where everyone should be, just what I personally would strive to do cold.

Might go out and try this actually, not a bad drill at all. Add some movement and windows and it would be a perfect port to port reload drill.

I disagree, of you are trying to get better always compare your self with top shooters, its th only way to gauge what better is. Everyone is capable of being a champion level shooter, were all humans some a little further ahead than others skill wise, but if you want something bad enough, you can be anything.

7 hours ago, Ihrtuspsa said:

if you want something bad enough, you can be anything.

Very nice thought, but I haven't found that to be true - I've watched some GM's shoot,

and there is NO WAY I could ever shoot like that - EVER.    :( 

Matter of fact, I still can't shoot like a good A shooter.    :(     :(  

18 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Very nice thought, but I haven't found that to be true - I've watched some GM's shoot,

and there is NO WAY I could ever shoot like that - EVER.    :( 

Matter of fact, I still can't shoot like a good A shooter.    :(     :(  

I agree.  The very top shooters that are national and world champions are better than the rest of us both by training and by genetics.  But we can be pretty dang good up to and including GM. But it's a bit optimistic to think anyone can be champion.  Maybe we think that way because we are old?  lol