Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Expander die in station #2 on a 1050...

Hi everyone,

Fairly new to the 1050 (8 months) and came across a new video from the Mark7 guys on reloading using a 1050.  I found they way they setup their dies to be interesting.

In the video link below a standard case mouth expanding die is used in station 2, replacing the OEM swage case holder rod setup.  The reason for this is explained as making the belling of the case mouth easier for the Mr. Bullet Feeder case mouth expander and eliminating that popping sound that people often note when using a powder funnel case mouth expander.  I saw this and thought why have I not thought of this before.  Seems a better way to use this station and also allows the use of a Mr. Bullet feeder, plus a separate seating and crimp die.  Going to try this setup this weekend to see how it works.

Not sure how well known this hack is... but thought it would good to share.. Also the 27min video watching dual Mark7's running has some good drool factor...

I have had my 1050 and Mark 7 for about a month now and that was something I considered as well, just not sure I want to give up the swaging station. I have even considered adding the swage sensor to detect 'ringers.' From what I have heard its just a matter of time till I get a kaboom from detonating a primer on a ringer case. I just cant bring myself to take that chance. Maybe I'm just a coward!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have an expender in Station 2, but my powder station is "stock".  I did find the MBF PTX to be great and hadn't thought to try it in combination with the expander in #2.  I did try the MBF PTX when I first got up and running but it does tend to stick in the case mouth.

Regardless, what I'm doing now works with my particular 9mm bullets (115/122gr Acme), but I don't really care for the shape of the bell that results from the Dillon PTX.  I'm thinking of going to a Mark 7 at 7K rounds/month so bullet stability will be important.

@Bummy425  "just not sure I want to give up the swaging station"

I don't think you need to give up the swaging station.  Think the case bell expander die would provide enough resistance to the case to allow the swagger rod to remove the crimp.. Just a guess... but I will need to verify that if I move to this setup.

This may be a good experiment day when its either raining or snowing out and I need to occupy myself for a few hours....

[mention=63016]Bummy425[/mention]  "just not sure I want to give up the swaging station"

I don't think you need to give up the swaging station.  Think the case bell expander die would provide enough resistance to the case to allow the swagger rod to remove the crimp.. Just a guess... but I will need to verify that if I move to this setup.

This may be a good experiment day when its either raining or snowing out and I need to occupy myself for a few hours....
I hadnt considered that! Interesting.....I think that might be worth a little experimentation as well!

9 hours ago, Bummy425 said:

I hadnt considered that! Interesting.....I think that might be worth a little experimentation as well!

Chris777 has it - with the 1050, you really don't "need" the MBF special powder funnel nor the M-die, as the combination of the Swage Backup/Expander when set correctly, and Dillon powder funnel provide plenty of case mouth expansion for the MBF dropper, and you don't have that annoying stick you get with the MBF power funnel.

Now, on other presses ie 650 or whatever without a swage backup option, then yes, the MBF is the better option.