Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115? 124? 147? JHP?

rbuck

And in that same vein, I'm pretty sure most people would have the same findings with shooting slower powder. Most people are told when they first start shooting open to shoot 124 and some fast powder, but I would guess if they switched two 115 and something much slower they would prefer it. But most never give it a chance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or it may be that VV N350, 3n37, and 3n38 are simply not available when needed.   I use WAC, Silhouette and HS-6 because that was what I could buy at the time.  One of our commercial reloaders stopped using N350 because he couldn't get any, and he is a dealer.

It seems like here are two "standard" loads for 9mm major:

"124gr bullet with AutoComp"   and   "115gr bullet with HS-6"

Hodgkins Burn Chart shows AutoComp to be slower than HS-6...  and AutoComp is cleaner than HS-6... 

Why do all the 115gr bullet guys use HS-6 instead of AutoComp?

2 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

It seems like here are two "standard" loads for 9mm major:

"124gr bullet with AutoComp"   and   "115gr bullet with HS-6"

Hodgkins Burn Chart shows AutoComp to be slower than HS-6...  and AutoComp is cleaner than HS-6... 

Why do all the 115gr bullet guys use HS-6 instead of AutoComp?

Because anyone who has ever bothered to test them knows that the burn rate charts are dramatically off in many cases. HS6 is significantly slower than Autocomp/CFE, and is slower than 3n37 and Sil. Closer in speed to 3n38/SP2. 

I use 124 gr Precision Delta with HS-6 in both 38 super and 9 major.  It seems a tad faster than 3n38 and slower than WAC.  HS-6 performance is close to 3n38 but not quite as good (less powder volume, less gas, I'm guessing).  The load weight for HS-6 is between 3n38 and WAC for both calibers.  Both guns have 3 popple holes.  (I'm selling off my remaining WAC.)  

54 minutes ago, teros135 said:

I use 124 gr Precision Delta with HS-6 in both 38 super and 9 major.  It seems a tad faster than 3n38 and slower than WAC.  HS-6 performance is close to 3n38 but not quite as good (less powder volume, less gas, I'm guessing).  The load weight for HS-6 is between 3n38 and WAC for both calibers.  Both guns have 3 popple holes.  (I'm selling off my remaining WAC.)  

How much HS-6 do you use in your 9mm 124gr load?

I use Everglades 9mm 124gr JHP V2 bullets at 1.165 with 6.9gr of WAC for 173pf with no poppel holes...  If HS-6 is slower than WAC, I would need to use more...  I'd like to continue to run 172 - 173pf.

I use Everglades 9mm 124gr JHP V2 bullets at 1.165 with 6.9gr of WAC for 173pf with no poppel holes...  If HS-6 is slower than WAC, I would need to use more...  I'd like to continue to run 172 - 173pf.

Most people are around 8.0 with a 124. I use 8.8-9.0 with a 115 (depending on lot). The case still has plenty of room in it though because HS6 is quite dense.

31 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

In 9 major (CK Hardcore) I use 6.9 gr WAC, 8.0 gr HS6, or 8.6 gr 3n38 to achieve ~172 PF with 124 gr jacketed bullets at 1.170".  

So I'm curious as to what class everyone is that's chiming in.  Not in a bragging way either. Just another reference point. Or am I a bell-end for asking?
I don't think that's a bad question to ask, since I feel like as people go through their shooting their preferences may change, specifically to favor something that's faster feeling. Some dudes that shoot limited at a high level prefer 165s, a bunch of high level SS shooters like 180s or 200s in their 45s, production shooters using 124s rather than 147s, open shooters using 115s.... I think it may all be connected, though it is just a hypothesis. But open is probably the most "personal preference" driven of any of them, so it may not apply here.

I am a GM, 115s, HS6. I know Maximis who commented above is a GM, 124s, WAC.

14 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I don't think that's a bad question to ask, since I feel like as people go through their shooting their preferences may change, specifically to favor something that's faster feeling. Some dudes that shoot limited at a high level prefer 165s, a bunch of high level SS shooters like 180s or 200s in their 45s, production shooters using 124s rather than 147s, open shooters using 115s.... I think it may all be connected, though it is just a hypothesis. But open is probably the most "personal preference" driven of any of them, so it may not apply here.

I am a GM, 115s, HS6. I know Maximis who commented above is a GM, 124s, WAC.

Yup. 7.4 of WAC under a 124 PD HP making 176 PF.

On 10/29/2017 at 6:46 PM, Gooldylocks said:

Most people are around 8.0 with a 124. I use 8.8-9.0 with a 115 (depending on lot). The case still has plenty of room in it though because HS6 is quite dense.

On 10/29/2017 at 7:16 PM, teros135 said:

In 9 major (CK Hardcore) I use 6.9 gr WAC, 8.0 gr HS6, or 8.6 gr 3n38 to achieve ~172 PF with 124 gr jacketed bullets at 1.170".  

Thanks for the info...  Bought a pound of HS-6 and plan to load some rounds tomorrow...  8.0gr seems to be a good place to start.

I started shooting Open in February of this year...  I originally had major problems that turned out to be  a defective slide (extractor hole bored too far away from the cartridge)...  Once I got my gun back from STI, I decided to load up some 124's with WAC and just shoot for a while...  Now that it's more reliable, I'm looking to calm down the dot...  Working on my grip...  trying better/slower powders...  It's an ongoing process...  I'm a B.

Just want to say that I really love all this information. Moving to open has been an experience and the info available here has been invaluable. 

And just to add, I have been running 6.85 WAC over a Falcon 125 for 171 PF. But going to experiment a bit over the winter and see if I find a load I like better. 

My whole theory is the following. We're shooting open division.  We want the gun to stay flat. We want to work the comp. Why not give it as much gas as possibly to do so? Hence, 115s. With HS6, there's still quite a bit of room in the case to fit a 115. I'm using matching headstamp brass and load to 1.165". It's not a compressed load.  

On 11/1/2017 at 10:34 PM, Bdh821 said:

My whole theory is the following... Why not give it as much gas as possibly to do so? Hence, 115s. With HS6, there's still quite a bit of room in the case to fit a 115. 

If that's your whole theory and all that matters then you're only halfway there.  HS-6 is well off of what is available for "maximum gas".  Just saying, if you're gonna try your theory, actually try your theory.  

20 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

If that's your whole theory and all that matters then you're only halfway there.  HS-6 is well off of what is available for "maximum gas".  Just saying, if you're gonna try your theory, actually try your theory.  

Yes.  Thanks!

On 11/1/2017 at 7:34 PM, Bdh821 said:

My whole theory is the following. We're shooting open division.  We want the gun to stay flat. We want to work the comp. Why not give it as much gas as possibly to do so? Hence, 115s. With HS6, there's still quite a bit of room in the case to fit a 115. I'm using matching headstamp brass and load to 1.165". It's not a compressed load.  

Everyone has different preferences and priorities.

I shoot 115s over 9.4gr of SP2 which I consider to be the Holy Grail of 9 major, but it is a compressed load (I've never figured out why that scares some people), it's not easy to load quickly without spilling, and SP2 is nearly impossible to get in the US.

9.4gr of 3N38 will get you the same result, but it's not as dense making the case even more full and the load more compressed.  Interestingly 9.4gr of 3N38 under a 115 at 1.161" is a book load for 9x21 which leads me to believe it is within SAAMI specs for pressure.

HS6 under a 115 is a good, gassy load for major, but dirty, WAC under a 124 is a very popular load because it's easy to load, not compressed, and shoots OK (a little bouncy for my taste).

I think most people who shoot 124s over WAC do so because some old guy told them to and they've never seen a reason to experiment.

23 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:
37 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Lulz... right...

KA/me did say "most," if course there are the silly people like you who have experimented with other stuff and still choose an inferior powder. Those people can't be helped in their misguided ways.

Lulz...