Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115? 124? 147? JHP?

rbuck

1 hour ago, digi531 said:

Hello, I've settled on JHP 121 gr. several years ago.  To me, they seem to fit nicely in the middle, between the 115 and 124 with the JHP design being very accurate and the cleanest for the comps.

Interesting!! Would like to try 121gr some day whats your load for them?  

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On August 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM, MrPostman said:

JHPs have more bearing surface than FMJs. Bearing surface = part that touches rifiling. Which is the reason why they are considered more accurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

So I've been told this, but when I compare a 115 to a 124, there's no difference in surface area that the bullet has on the rifling.  I'm no GM and I'm not a knowologist, but IMO there's no substantial difference in felt recoil or "accuracy" of a 115 vs 124. I shoot 115s because it uses more powder which means more gas. I want gas to work my comp...

I run 115fmj on 9.0 HS6 @1.165". I chrono'ed at Area 8 at 169fp. I chronoed this past weekend at Area 7 with the same batch of ammo with 179pf. Cleaning my barrel got me 10pf gain.  :rolleyes:

In case people are curious, I shoot a STI DVC Open

Edited by Bdh821

Hello, I've settled on JHP 121 gr. several years ago.  To me, they seem to fit nicely in the middle, between the 115 and 124 with the JHP design being very accurate and the cleanest for the comps.

What he said [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

In OPEN, there's no advantage to the 147's   .

Most common is the 124's because they're easier to load without the powder

spilling out of the case.  The 115's take More Powder to make Major - so

the powder doesn't leave a Lot of Room for the bullet.

BUT, some people really love the 115's (Or 121's as a compromise) - 

I've been shooting 124's for nine years - but thinking of going back to 115's

when I run out of my Pre-Election horde of 124's    :) 

If you're not sure, I'd say start with a real good supply of PD JHP's 124's

and see if you want to stay with them after you get some experience    :) 

I have used them all, I have settled on the montana gold 121 and have had great luck with them, the 124 are also good and there is very little difference.  with a good comp both are very flat.  I was using autocomp powder and read that it will crack your barrel, well they were right I have since switched back to silhouette powder which is much softer but not as clean

Just now, Gooldylocks said:

Yep, because most people never actually try 115s to see how much better they are.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would say a lot do and a lot either don't notice the difference or dont like them.

Well I didn't notice a difference so I see no point in 115s. Lots of powder spillage for no reason on the press.
On the mk7? How fast are you loading? I have no spillage at 1500 an hour with HS6.

Also, cheaper.

For 9 major, most people that I shoot with including myself use 115s. I feel like the recoil impulse is softer than 124s. I've tried 124s multiple times with many different projectiles. I still prefer 115s. I use basic FMJs and love them. 

1 hour ago, JRM83 said:

I find it pretty implausible that over 80% of the top shooters are using 124s over 115s because none of them thought to try a 115 before. 

Hrs to believe they never thought to try other bullets.  

Could it be that you're defending your own pick?  Take a look at the 2016 Open Nats equipment survey.  Vast majority using 124 gr.  

Edited by teros135

Do to budgetary options, I decided to give 115's a try.

I have been loading 124gr MG JHP's with 3n38 since I got my first 38super. Mainly because coming over from 9 Major to 38 Supercomp I had a ton of 124's.  I didn't shoot 115's because it was hard to push them to major in my shorter barreled IMM Open 9mm gun.

Anyway my 124's dried up, I bought a case of 115's, and tried some old school loads with AA #7 and HS-6... Wow!   Yea, I probably won't go back to the 124's.

1 hour ago, lee blackman said:

I have been loading 124gr MG JHP's with 3n38 since I got my first 38super. Mainly because coming over from 9 Major to 38 Supercomp I had a ton of 124's.  I didn't shoot 115's because it was hard to push them to major in my shorter barreled IMM Open 9mm gun.

Anyway my 124's dried up, I bought a case of 115's, and tried some old school loads with AA #7 and HS-6... Wow!   Yea, I probably won't go back to the 124's.

I shot a ton of 115s, then RMR sold me a pile of 124 JHP at a price I couldn't refuse. For me the 124 hits the hand a bit softer, but the dot returns to the target faster with the 115. The 124 RMR is FAR more accurate than the Montana 115.

I would guess that the majority of people would agree with you, if they actually would give them an honest try. But, most people are told to shoot 124s when they first start shooting open, and then that's all they ever use.