Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using two RF-100's

anyone using Two RF-100's, one for LG/one for SM primer?  Would be a luxury of course, but my RF-100 runs 100% with LP,  but takes a bit of tinkering with SP every time I switch over.

I have one for each. What's the question?

I have three, two for small, one for large.  They are all temperamental to some degree, but I still love them for what they do.

To large degree it depends on the brand of primers. 

If it gives you too much trouble you can try running with the plastic cover removed - I have seen that help.

Edited by Foxbat

On 8/8/2017 at 10:05 PM, 78Staff said:

Do you feel it was worth it, or do you look at the 2nd one and wonder why did I spend $350 to save 5 min worth of tinkering, I guess :).

The rf100 is the only primer filler that allows you to dump the primers and forget it, during this time you are free to do other things, ie refill your powder, refill your bullet supply, check your powder measure etc, or just keep cranking rounds out. I normally let the rf100 run while I'm getting started checking everything. Once it's done I dump the primers into the tube and immediately start the rf100 on another set, once I'm done with the current primer tube I have one ready. 

1 hour ago, ultimase said:

The rf100 is the only primer filler that allows you to dump the primers and forget it, during this time you are free to do other things, ie refill your powder, refill your bullet supply, check your powder measure etc, or just keep cranking rounds out. I normally let the rf100 run while I'm getting started checking everything. Once it's done I dump the primers into the tube and immediately start the rf100 on another set, once I'm done with the current primer tube I have one ready. 

Yeah I've had one for some time - just trying to decide if having two (re "2nd one" in my post) will be worth it.  Seems like it probably will be.

Edited by 78Staff

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I run one for each size.

They used to be flawless, but all of a sudden both of them are flipping primers at least 4 or 5 per 100.  I have to watch them now and manually dampen the vibrations by putting my hands on them and cancelling out the oscillations.  It's weird.  Nothing changed and they are both on lowest rheostat setting.  Once I figure out the issue I would heartily recommend them if that is what you're asking.  

Apparently they do need some tweaks to function 100%.

I've got 2 presses. I don't run a RF 100 but if I did, I would probably have two. It adds up but I pay out the butt for ease so what's the cost of anorher?  

Edited by B_RAD

I grew frustrated enough with the occasional flipped primer and tweaking that I sold my pair of RF 100’s. Even with the PALS I replaced them with a pair - one for large and one for small primers. Two’s the way to go.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I also use Winchester primers in mine. I just bought it from another calgunner this summer, and I have loaded approximately 3000 primers with mine. I have only had 2 flipped primers.

I would love to have a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run two. One for SP and one for LP. Additional tubes has been the biggest time saver for me. I have 10 SP tubes now. I haven't bought additional LP tubes yet.

With the spare tubes, I can load primers up at the end of a session while I'm cleaning up my reloading area. Then have 1000 primers ready by the 1050 before I start my next session.

10 hours ago, Crawler said:

I run two. One for SP and one for LP. Additional tubes has been the biggest time saver for me. I have 10 SP tubes now. I haven't bought additional LP tubes yet.

With the spare tubes, I can load primers up at the end of a session while I'm cleaning up my reloading area. Then have 1000 primers ready by the 1050 before I start my next session.

This is exactly what I am hoping to be able to do. Looking for a second used primer filler now! 

I use only CCI primers and with few problems on my RF100.

I never switch it over, though. I've been using a VibraPrime that never flips a primer (knock, knock) for the other size. Still, I miss the "set and forget" convenience of the RF-100.

When my son gets bored of the Franklin I'll probably add another RF100.

20 hours ago, Crawler said:

The beauty of the RF is you don't have to load tubes ahead of time. You can just dump in a tray of primers, turn it on, and while it is filling it's tube go back to to pulling the handle. After 2 minutes it turns off and you should have a tube full of primers. Once you need them you load your primer mag on your loader with the tube from the RF, put it back on the RF and dump another tray of primers and go back to pulling the handle...repeat as necessary.

Loading a bunch of tubes from the RF and stacking them up is a waste of time and defeating the purpose of being able to auto load the primer tube on the RF.

jj

I finally ordered my second RF-100 this week... needed the 2018 calendar so added the RF-100 as well :).

I have two tubes for the one  have now, but like RiggerJJ I never use the 2nd one, just dump primers let it run and it's full before I'm ready for the next drop.