Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KKM open gun barrel

Sandbagger123

i am researching barrels for my open gun build.  i would love a schueman, but they seem to be out every where.  kkm seems to be the way to go. i was talking to a guy who built a open gun with one and he said that kkm barrels don't taper as quickly as other barrels and need to be relieved to function correctly when unlocking.   so is there truth to this?  i know my sheuman on my present gun has a big portion remove behind my comp.   

thanks 

Big deal.  Several manufacturers supply barrels/blanks with no taper at all.  It is not a problem, unless you were expecting to receive a drop-in barrel.

FWIW, I've always had to remove metal from every barrel I've fit.  I even tried an Ed Brown supposedly drop in barrel once.  I would have had to take material off the bottom lugs to get it to fit, so I sent it back.  Having extra material on is not a problem.  Not having enough is.

Edited by zzt

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2017 at 9:46 AM, Sarge said:

My newest Cheely Open gun has a KKM in it. I love that it is close enough in speed to my other gun with a scheumann that I can run one load for both.

What is the caliber and twist rate of Your KKM barrel.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

My last few open builds have KKM threaded bull barrels and they are great.  The twist rate is a mystery, when I asked the owner his e-mail reply was ( " 1 in 20 something " ) I'm guessing 1 in 24 twist rate, same as a Schuemann AET design.  My observation also suggest that KKM newest barrels are dimensionally smaller in the O.D.and seem identical to the Schuemann size.  I've noticed they seem much easier to fit than his older barrels which seemed bigger in diameter and required lots of work to fit properly.  Using CK Arms or STI slides, KKM barrels are a great choice and they are ACCURATE for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a KKM in my last open gun that Advanced Weapons Technologies, Don Fraley built and it was beyond accurate. It was a 9Maj. and it was a 1/2 in gun at 25 yds.  It does make a difference in having Don fit the barrel also.  I would pick the KKM over the Schuemann any day.

I have KKM barrels in both of my open guns and have been very happy with them.

I have no idea how to get a Schuemann barrel anymore nobody ever stocks them.

When you call Schuemann to order a barrel they cant tell you there lead time.