Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

springfield range officer decent base gun for competition?

AF2010

For some reason I shoot the Springfield better than the SIG Max. (Both .45)  But I agree it's a good gun. Wish they would have made it a Series 70 though like the Springfield.

I took the hammer and sear out of the Max and put it in one of my RO's, put the RO stuff in the Max.  LOL.

1 hour ago, choppe said:

I have a RO in 45 and Sig Max in 40. The RO is a fine 1911 for the money. Mine had a decent trigger from the factory and was very reliable. I prefer the Max over the RO. For the money that thing is ready to rock. I put a Enos trigger bow with a long insert. Other than that it's bone stock.

Yup. A Sig is tough to beat for the money in the single stack game.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just getting back into shooting after 20yrs away from it.

I have just picked up a 9mm RO and am tinkering with it.

So far I have replaced the grips, and added a fuzion extended slide release.

I just ordered a s&a magwell, and a ed brown extended mag release.

I plan on cleaning up the internals when I install the new parts I just ordered.

I am very happy with the gun so far, and I am sure it already shoots better than my old eyes, and the rest of me can use.

We have several SA 9mm 1911 loaded target handguns.  Function has been fine out of the box varying from a decent 3.5 lb. trigger to the most recent purchase with a near 7 lb. trigger.  I'd count on trigger work in any event, but no need to replace the MIM parts unless you're going for a really light trigger.  I didn't find the thumb safety design compatible with the grip I wanted to establish, but lots of options out there.  And, unless you have small hands I'd go with inexpensive Pachmayr grips: much better purchase in hot/sweaty conditions than any of the VZ grips.

• 2 weeks later...

My .45 RO is my favorite match gun, and it is competing against two guns that aren't slouches: a TRP and a DW Valor.

It seems that I shoot a bit more accurately with the RO than with the others.  Best I can figure, its relatively tight chamber is the kicker.  The term "tack driver" would be a bit strong but I really do get my most accurate match shooting with the RO.  The sweet thing is, I don't do anything different when I shoot it.  The extra accuracy seems quite effortless.

Anyway, from all I gather, this model was intended as a base gun for competition.  If I'm not mistaken, TGO gave input into the feature package.  He and the other good folks at Springfield did a fine job.  I added onto mine, not very different from what others have done, and didn't have to do all that much to make it really ergonomic for competing.

Edited by GunBugBit