Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tweeking eyeglasses per stage design

scroadkill

I need glasses to drive, and more recently to shoot. Progressive bifocals were a nightmare for me, and I just shot with safety glasses for a while.. but the front sight was never clear. This proved to be a problem for the distant targets and kind of ticked me off... so 4-5 matches ago i got a nice new pair of single vision glasses made that focus at 25" from my eyes. This works like a champ for seeing the sights, but the distant targets are more blurry than before but at least the front sight is easy to see. I can slow down, aim, and hit what I'm aiming at even if the target is fuzzy. 

here is my question..

what if the targets are all <5 yards... should I change out to just plain safety glasses and just look at the targets? anyone do this?

Go to your eye doc and tell him you want a script set up for monovision.  Assuming your right handed and right eye dominant you want your dominate eye focused on front sight, and your non dominate eye focused for distance.  Do a search here and you will find a ton of threads on this subject.  After you get your script you can set up for any frame you want.  I recommend DeCot, they have been serving shooters for a long time.  Your glasses will be single vision lenses so no lines or trying to find the sweet spot.  Takes awhile to get used to, and some people can't.  So before you drop 400 bucks make sure your committed.

What I have done since back in the 80s is a pair of single vision glasses with the dominant eye lens focused on the front sight and the other optimized for distance.  This way you are pretty well prepared for shooting and can still drive or whatever.  Some people can't stand this setup but most I know that have tried it like it.  If you are going shooting it works well to put them on when you get up in the morning as you only have to become accustomed to one set of glasses.

yeah, i read up on the 2 lens set up.. It seems lots of folks have problems adjusting - kind of scared my off. I'm pretty well happy with the single vision 25" focal length for most typical stages with a few upclose targets and lots at 10-25 yards.  Ill experiment this week running a few drills each way. corrected vs uncorrected point shooting.

I use this type of setup.   Only takes my eyes about 5 mins to adjust.   Actually, easy and fast adjustment when putting them on, but takes a little while longer when putting my bifocals back on after shooting is done. 

I use lenses corrected to front sight focused in with my dominate eye and my other lense at normal rx. I have a great eye doctor who lets me take my revolver in and that is how I get my dominate eye in focus for my front sight, Using this setup I never really notice targets being out of focus as I concentrate on the front sight.

I have +.75 added to my distance prescription. You'll need to have your focus a bit farther forward. It's a controlled blurr. Target more in focus, front sight less. There are trade offs.

Carry Optics is great.

Do not go for two different lenses.  Here is what I did.  I ordered a pair set up for distance.  Then I ordered a set of stick on diopters (for reading).  I stuck one on at the top of the lens and simply tilted my head down slightly when I wanted to see the front sight.  It allowed me to walk and run just fine, and my right eye did not get sore trying to focus through a 'close up lens' all day.

My left eye saw the target in focus, and my right eye superimposed a green dot on it.  It worked amazingly well.

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2017 at 3:10 PM, scroadkill said:

I need glasses to drive, and more recently to shoot. Progressive bifocals were a nightmare for me, and I just shot with safety glasses for a while.. but the front sight was never clear. This proved to be a problem for the distant targets and kind of ticked me off... so 4-5 matches ago i got a nice new pair of single vision glasses made that focus at 25" from my eyes. This works like a champ for seeing the sights, but the distant targets are more blurry than before but at least the front sight is easy to see. I can slow down, aim, and hit what I'm aiming at even if the target is fuzzy. 

here is my question..

what if the targets are all <5 yards... should I change out to just plain safety glasses and just look at the targets? anyone do this?

I had the same problem, went to the eye doc, had non dominant lens made for distance and dominant lens made for front sight(25”), works great, just takes a min to get used to putting them on

I just got a pair of glasses with a +.75 prescription for the right eye and no adjustment in the left. Works really well for focusing on the FS and still being able to see the target. 

• 4 months later...

Gets more interesting if you are cross dominant. I shoot right handed wit left eye dominant. Decot made me a set of standard bifocal for sporting clays. I use translucent tape on left lense to blur the shotgun bead so all I see is the sharp one on my right eye, and a crisp target. For pistol I keep the same lense on the left and shift to a single vision on the right, focused on front sight. Left lense still still taped (just enough area to mask front sight.) I tried using non prescription gasses. Fine for close targets, but without astigmatism correction, targets were very distorted for longer shots. Decot is very good at setting these up.

I just found some flip down reader clip on glasses (think clip on sunglasses like the outfielders use) I picked up a pair of +1s and am exited to try them. I normally use reader safety glasses but, I don't like wearing them when I'm not shooting so I am always changing them out, sometimes I forget and the stage gets interesting when you cant see the sights. I'm thinking this should be nice just flip them down to shoot back up the rest of the time, Ill look like a dork but that's not unusual. 

5 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I don't like wearing them when I'm not shooting so I am always changing them out, sometimes I forget and the stage gets interesting when you cant see the sights.

Note to self. Next time, hide Mike's readers when he is not shooting (and not looking). That ought to take care of that whole 1st overall/match winner thing he has going. :devil: BTW - Congratulations on that!

Oh, and I went with monovision soft contact lenses with my right eye corrected to be able to see the front sight and my left eye corrected for distance. That is full time - shooting and non-shooting. Seems to work just fine for me or as fine as it is going to get these days. In addition, I wear low power readers for reading and computer work.

I vote for one set and no changing, but (bias) carrying around an extra contact lens for my right eye and changing it depending on the stage would be a royal pain in the butt, not to mention it would probably just confuse me (more). Oops!

12 hours ago, Whitefish said:

Note to self. Next time, hide Mike's readers when he is not shooting (and not looking). That ought to take care of that whole 1st overall/match winner thing he has going. :devil: BTW - Congratulations on that!

Luckily for me with a dot in open I don't need any correction. (well other than seeing the nook)