Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do to a used 2011 before shooting

Mushki25

I just purchased a used 2011 off gun-broker.  This is only the second time I have bought a used gun and the first time I knew the guy.  Other than giving it a clean, lube and inspect is there anything specific I should do?  First 2011 as well.  I can fully strip a 1911and reassemble, never did change anything other than a recoil spring on it though.  Comfortable tinkering on guns.  Thanks

Last year I bought a used SV which was my first 2011. Naturally completely stripped it and cleaned everything. Gun has an Aftec extractor which didn't look like it had been out in forever. When I removed it the cover plate over the extractor springs broke. Went back with new cover plate and 1 new extractor spring. Also new springs  and screws throughout the gun. Had a 4 MOA dot module which I replaced with an 8. Then checked for the Max OAL I could load and started testing rounds. 

Ordered spare parts, springs, screws, etc and started shooting. Hope it runs good for you. 

First thing I did when I got my used SV earlier this year was give everything a thorough cleaning. Then assembled and did the safety checks for safeties working properly, no hammer follow etc. 

Cycled ammunition through it to make sure it ran. 

Having extra sear springs, recoil springs and things like that are great just in case you need them in a pinch.

3 hours ago, Mushki25 said:

I just purchased a used 2011 off gun-broker.  This is only the second time I have bought a used gun and the first time I knew the guy.  Other than giving it a clean, lube and inspect is there anything specific I should do?  First 2011 as well.  I can fully strip a 1911and reassemble, never did change anything other than a recoil spring on it though.  Comfortable tinkering on guns.  Thanks

First off, you have to show us pics!!  Then just lube it up and shoot it.  It may be perfect and not anything but ammo...

It is a Neil Keller build.  Infinity slide, sv grip, Schuemann barrel made in 2008.  I have been told the round count to be just under 5000.  Pictures of the auction site were not the best but the seller indicate only the magwell has any scratches.  Appears nice.  Seller stated the gun has a crisp 1.75 trigger pull.  4 mags with Dawson bases included.  Since I will be paying face to face (11 hour round trip) he will include all rounds and his reloading components.  Came with a right hand holster rig that I will sell since I'm a lefty.  At $1625 I feel as though I may have stolen it.

Edited by Mushki25
Our laws do not allow interstate private transfer

I would try to shoot it before tearing it apart..... that way at least you know if works as delivered - instead of maybe not working because you put it back together wrong after tear down :blink:

Works good? Then clean it, and get to shooting.

Edited by sfinney

1625 sounds like a dream come true!  Congrats!!  Oil, check safety operation(s), and shoot.  Then play with loads, tune to load, and smile every time you pull the trigger.  Maybe even award yourself to a steak dinner for buying such a bargain! Pics please 

6 hours ago, Mushki25 said:

I will be happy to add pictures once I receive the gun.  Your are probably correct and I should just shoot.  I can overthink things from time to time?

Just to be on the safe side, turn your head to the side when you fire the first round. :lol:

8 hours ago, Mushki25 said:

It is a Neil Keller build.  Infinity slide, sv grip, Schuemann barrel made in 2008.  I have been told the round count to be just under 5000.  Pictures of the auction site were not the best but the seller indicate only the magwell has any scratches.  Appears nice.  Seller stated the gun has a crisp 1.75 trigger pull.  4 mags with Dawson bases included.  Since I will be picking up face to face (11 hour round trip) he will include all rounds and his reloading components.  Came with a right hand holster rig that I will sell since I'm a lefty.  At $1625 I feel as though I may have stolen it.

Sounds like a great deal indeed!

Edited picking up to save paying.  The gun itself will need to be transferred through an ffl due to federal law.  It may be a strange law but it will need tone followed.  I will still meet face to face to grab all the other stuff to save on shipping.  Hazmat fees are steep enough to justify the trip.

18 minutes ago, Mushki25 said:

Edited picking up to save paying.  The gun itself will need to be transferred through an ffl due to federal law.  It may be a strange law but it will need tone followed.  I will still meet face to face to grab all the other stuff to save on shipping.  Hazmat fees are steep enough to justify the trip.

FFL transfer not required is it? Where are you located?

Depending on the amount of stuff you're getting, saving on the shipping would definitely be worth the drive. And, honestly, at that price, getting just the gun would be a solid deal.

I believe the transfer of a handgun between a buyer and seller residing in different states requires an ffl. I have a buddy with an ffl who is known to be knowledgeable in these matter who I will check with Monday.  I will still travel the 11 hours round trip for the reloading components.

An 11 hour trip seems like you might want to really weigh out your costs like gas and food vs just having the stuff shipped. Also just the hassle of losing a whole day for an 11 hour trip. 

Even if you got the gun and components for 1700 shipped you'd still net a great deal and not feel like death warmed over from being stuck in a car all day

1 hour ago, KrymSIX said:

An 11 hour trip seems like you might want to really weigh out your costs like gas and food vs just having the stuff shipped. Also just the hassle of losing a whole day for an 11 hour trip. 

Even if you got the gun and components for 1700 shipped you'd still net a great deal and not feel like death warmed over from being stuck in a car all day

Times change. When I was 19 me and two buddies took off from Springfield, and headed for Gary, Indiana, to watch the Drag races at the U.S. 30 Drag Strip. The Chitown Hustler was going to be there along with several other big-name cars. After a 9, or so, hour drive we pulled into the gates and it was pouring rain.

Saddened, yes, but with stiff upper lips we stopped at the first burger joint we saw, fueled up on cheeseburger and fries, then topped off the gas tank and radiator and headed home with WLS, and Dick Biondy, on the radio.

I would give anything to be able to do it all again.

Go get that gun. Stop along the way and fuel up on cheeseburgers. Read a few historical markers. Carpe diem. :)

Edited by MikieM

Mike---this is the same gun.

Honestly, I am not excited to drive 5.5 hours each direction.  I originally committed to do it because the seller had no selling history and I did not want to be scammed.  Once I spoke with the seller after the auction was completely satisfied I would feel comfortable just sending the money order and a waiting the shipped gun but the seller offered to include reloading components which would require hazmat fees that will add up.  I am comfortable enough to make the drive to save these fees, I have to make similar trips occasionally for work.  The way I see it, I would spend more than 13 hours getting a load developed to the point of his ammo.  I can use that ammo as a starting point for the load development.

Edited by Mushki25